Arabic Study Group

Moderator: eskandar

Saim

Re: Arabic Study Group

Postby Saim » 2020-10-19, 17:40

I’m still at the stage of just picking up vocabulary, so a news article would make more sense for me. The lectures are way above my level I think. :lol:

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-10-19, 18:53

No worries, let's do a news article then. Would you like to pick one to start us off?
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-10-20, 6:13

How about this one? Or maybe this one if the topic's too heavy.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-10-20, 16:26

We can do both! I'll start the first one.

استعارة الحرب ودلالات متحولة.. كيف أثرت جائحة كورونا على اللغات؟

The metaphor of war and changing meanings.. How did the Corona pandemic impact languages?

أدخلت جائحة كورونا العديد من الكلمات والدلالات والمجازات للقواميس والكتب وللغة اليومية المستخدمة
The Corona pandemic introduced many words and meanings and metaphors to dictionaries and books and language used in everyday life

لا يقتصر تأثير جائحة كورونا على صحة البشر وحياتهم الاجتماعية والاقتصادية، وإنما يتعدى كل ذلك إلى اللغات التي يتحدثون بها، فقد أدخلت الجائحة بعض المفردات إلى اللغات المحكية، في حين اكتسبت بعض الكلمات، مثل التباعد والمسافة الاجتماعية، دلالة خاصة لم تكن شائعة قبل تفشي الفيروس المستجد، وإضافة لذلك أصبحت بعض الاستعارات والتعبيرات المجازية أكثر شيوعا وارتباطا بالصحة العامة.

The effect of the Corona pandemic is not limited to human health and social and economic life; it goes beyond all of that to the languages that are spoken, for the pandemic has introduced several words into the spoken languages, (while it [language?] has gained some words :?: ), like "distancing" (التباعد) and "social distance" (المسافة الاجتماعية), [in] a particular sense which was not widespread prior to the recent spread of the virus, and in addition to that several metaphors and expressions became more prevalent and more related(?) to public health.

-

جائحة pandemic
تفشٍ spread, outbreak
مُستجِد new, recent

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-10-22, 11:09

الإنجليزية وقاموسها
English and its dictionary

في أبريل/نيسان من العام الجاري، قام محررو قاموس أكسفورد الإنجليزي بعمل غير عادي. على مدى 20 عامًا الماضية كانوا يصدرون تحديثات ربع سنوية للإعلان عن كلمات ومعان جديدة يتم اختيارها لتضمينها في القاموس، ولكن في أواخر الربيع الماضي، ومرة أخرى في يوليو/تموز السابق، أصدر محررو القاموس تحديثات خاصة، مشيرين إلى الحاجة إلى توثيق تأثير الجائحة على اللغة الإنجليزية، بحسب مقال أستاذ علم النفس بجامعة ممفيس الأميركية روجر جي كروس لموقع ذا كونفرزيشن (The Conversation).

In April of this year, the editors of the Oxford English Dictionary did something unusual.
Over the last 20 years they have been releasing quarterly updates to announce new words and meanings that have been selected to be included in the dictionary, but last spring, and once more last July, the editors of the Dictionary released special updates indicating the need to document the effect of the pandemic on the English language, according to an article by the psychologist Professor Roger G Cross of the University of Memphis, posted on "The Conversation".

[EDIT] words that are new for me:

نيسان - April (=أبريل)
محرر - editor
أصدر - to release
معان - meanings (plural of معنى)
ربع سنوية - quarterly
تضمين - inclusion
تموز - July (=يوليو)
مقال - article
Last edited by Saim on 2020-10-24, 8:42, edited 1 time in total.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2020-10-22, 17:56

Hey guys, nice to see this activity in the group!

I know Eskandar is all into MSA, but take a look at this resource I found:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... p=CAISAigB

It's AlJazeera documentaries, and many of their videos are in Arabic dialects and have subtitles that actually match what's being said! The link I gave above filters all the videos with subtitles, some of them are in MSA, and others are in Egyptian/Syrian/Lebanese.

As an example, check this video about a Syrian guy who moved to the Netherlands and how he learnt Dutch. There are no English subtitles so what I suggest doing is translating the Arabic subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAzueWDyjzE

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-10-24, 8:38

Yeah, we could definitely look at that! Maybe we should make separate threads for MSA and vernacular Arabic?

I opened a thread for studying Middle Eastern dialects here.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-10-24, 16:44

ويطمح قاموس أوكسفورد الإنجليزي إلى أن يكون السجل الأكثر شمولا وكاملا للغة الإنجليزية وتاريخها، وفي عام 1884 تم إصدار أجزاء من الطبعة الأولى، ولم يكتمل حتى عام 1928. على مدى السنوات التالية، تم نشر مجلدات إضافية من الكلمات الجديدة لتكملة الإصدار الأول، وتم دمجها في الإصدار الثاني الذي ظهر في عام 1989. هذا هو الإصدار الذي يوجد في معظم المكتبات. وفي عام 1992 تبعه إصدار رقمي على قرص مضغوط.

And the Oxford English Dictionary aims to be the most inclusive and complete [dictionary] for the English language and its history, and in the year 1884 parts of the first edition were issued, and it wasn't completed until the year 1928. During the following years, additional volumes were published of new words to complete the first edition. And they were integrated into the second edition which appeared in the year 1989. This is the edition that exists in most libraries. And in the year 1992 it was followed by a digital release on CD.

دمج في enter, be inserted/incorporated/integrated into
رقمي digital
قرص مضغوط CD

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-10-24, 17:22

voron wrote:take a look at this resource I found ...

Very cool resource - I'll follow along with the thread Saim started though like you said spoken Arabic isn't my focus right now :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-10-30, 8:26

في مارس/آذار 2000، أطلق القاموس نسخة على الإنترنت. بالنسبة لهذه الطبعة الجديدة، راجع المحررون التعريفات التي يرجع تاريخها إلى الإصدار الأول، والتي يزيد عمرها في كثير من الحالات عن قرن من الزمان. ونظرًا لحجمها، لن تظهر هذه الطبعة الثالثة في شكل مطبوع، وقد لا تكتمل هذه المراجعات حتى عام 2034.

In March of 2000 the Dictionary launched an online version. For this version editors have revised definitions dating back to the first version, which is more than a century ago in some cases. Because of its size, this third addition will not appear in printed form, and these revisions may not be complete by the year 2034.

آذار - March (=مارس)
نسخة - copy
طبعة - printing, edition
راجع, يُرَاجِعُ‎‎ - to revise
نظرًا - due to, on account of
مطبوع - printed
مراجعة - revision, review

---

By the way, I've been adding all the new words I'm coming across to a Memrise deck (along with audio from forvo, or TTS where none is available): https://app.memrise.com/course/5809466/ ... l_12931379 . It's probably not going to be particularly useful for you guys since we all have different vocabulary levels (although I guess you can skip any words you already know) and I think I'm the only one here who uses Memrise, but I've posted it on the off chance it's useful to someone.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-10-31, 0:16

قديم وجديد
New and old

تعطي التحديثات الخاصة المتعلقة بفيروس كورونا لمحة عن كيف يمكن للغة أن تتغير بسرعة في مواجهة الاضطراب الاجتماعي والاقتصادي غير المسبوق. على سبيل المثال، تتمثل أحد آثار الجائحة في أنه وضع مصطلحات طبية كانت غامضة سابقًا ضمن الكلام اليومي.

The special updates related to the Coronavirus give a glimpse into how language can change quickly when facing unprecedented social and economic turmoil. For example, one of the effects of the pandemic is represented in incorporating medical expressions that were previously obscure into daily speech.

لمحة a glimpse
تمثل في انه to present itself, be represented, be visible, find visual expression

Saim wrote:By the way, I've been adding all the new words I'm coming across to a Memrise deck...

What do you (and others) think about keeping track of vocabulary together on a shared spreadsheet (like on Google Sheets or something)? If we worked out a standard format (eg. what other details to include, such as phrase/sentence in which the word was encountered) it could make it easy for each of us to export from the spreadsheet into our preferred apps like Memrise, Anki, etc. Just thinking out loud here about whether there are good ways to productively share the materials each of us has been generating for ourselves.

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”