Sinjin
Can anyone translate this to English

Postby Sinjin » 2017-03-28, 3:31

Thanks!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Can anyone translate this to English

Postby eskandar » 2017-03-28, 6:42

It's just the English word "cupcake" transliterated into Arabic.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

wonder

Postby wonder » 2017-09-15, 3:55

Could you help translate it to English (the attachments). Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-09-15, 6:53

Here's my attempt, but I'm really not sure:

Nizar Qabbani says
I'm ashamed of the interest of people I haven't known for a day, and hurt by the denial of people for whom I lit the fingers of my hand as candles.

wonder

Postby wonder » 2017-09-15, 12:02

Thank you very much :-)

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-09-18, 12:22

eskandar wrote:Here's my attempt, but I'm really not sure:

Nizar Qabbani says
I'm ashamed of the interest of people I haven't known for a day, and hurt by the denial of people for whom I lit the fingers of my hand as candles.

Sorry for the delay. Was ill. Here's my attempt:

The attention of people embarrasses me for whom I have not done them any good for even one day. Yet people's disregard of me hurts me for whom I light the fingers of my hand like candles.

It should be معروفاً as a second object in the accusative.
Also according to a brief Google investigation I think the meme creator may have transcribed the line breaks incorrectly too. I also see a diffeent name as the author in some places.

معروف with the meaning of "good doing" as comes in the Quran rather than with meaning of being known.

The contradictions of a poet's self-consciousness: at once intensely solipsistic and yet attention-craving too, his goods provide light and and are taken for granted and not properly recompensed.

I would appreciate a native speaker with a poetic bone to give her opinion.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-09-18, 17:57

شكراً يا طلحة و اتمنی انك الآن بخير وصحة

Talha wrote:معروف with the meaning of "good doing" as comes in the Quran rather than with meaning of being known.

Oh yeah! I didn't even think of امر بالمعروف ونهی عن المنكر .

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-09-30, 7:30

eskandar wrote:<span class="ar-huruf droid-arabic-naskh" style="font-size:1.3em; line-height:1.5em;">شكراً يا طلحة و اتمنی انك الآن بخير وصحة</span>

Talha wrote:<span class="ar-huruf droid-arabic-naskh" style="font-size:1.3em; line-height:1.5em;">معروف</span> with the meaning of "good doing" as comes in the Quran rather than with meaning of being known.

Oh yeah! I didn't even think of <span class="ar-huruf droid-arabic-naskh" style="font-size:1.3em; line-height:1.5em;">امر بالمعروف ونهی عن المنكر</span> .

Ustad, you have helped me a lot with my Persian - on pause for the week or so for the process of starting term with back-to-back workshops and induction tours - if I can be of any other help for your Arabic in my limited capacity as a non-native graduate in the language, I'm most glad to do so.

I have come to the realisation from speaking with other nervous new language students that institutions like SOAS rely on the ignorance of the intake about language learning psychology and the abundant online props for their financially-leeching existence to survive.

I was impressed by the supporting facilities available for study skills, IT, well-being and so on but then realised such plush and expensive services were funded by cash diverted from having properly paid *teaching* staff. It appears many of the courses are taught by are causalised post-PHders with a seeming high turn over.

Such is state of higher education in the UK - more money is put in the careers service than in providing rigour and erudition the demands of which will can only necessitate a smaller intake in the first place.

But respect to international students who are doing graduate studies in a second or third language in a pretty tough city.

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”