Short questions

Moderator: eskandar

Saim

Re: Short questions

Postby Saim » 2018-11-29, 18:21

From the official (from their YouTube channel) translation of the مشروع ليلى song مغاوير:

عالماً بس تثلج فوق التلال

Bearing that when snow caps the hills

I can't find the word عالماً with a meaning anything close to "bearing that" in any dictionary. I guess it comes from the verb عَلِمَ but what is the exact form?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-11-29, 20:19

Just a shot in the dark here: perhaps the translation isn't super literal. عالِم is the اسم فاعل of the verb you identified and means "knower" - so maybe we could translate it as "knowing that..." ?
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-12-09, 14:39

eskandar wrote:Just a shot in the dark here: perhaps the translation isn't super literal. عالِم is the اسم فاعل of the verb you identified and means "knower" - so maybe we could translate it as "knowing that..." ?

The rest of the translation isn't very literal either so that must be it, thanks.

I had a feeling it might be the active participle but I didn't realise you can productively produce adverbial forms out of them, I thought it would be a set phrase.

SomehowGeekyPolyglot

Postby SomehowGeekyPolyglot » 2019-01-10, 12:42

Saim wrote:
eskandar wrote:Just a shot in the dark here: perhaps the translation isn't super literal. عالِم is the اسم فاعل of the verb you identified and means "knower" - so maybe we could translate it as "knowing that..." ?

The rest of the translation isn't very literal either so that must be it, thanks.

I had a feeling it might be the active participle but I didn't realise you can productively produce adverbial forms out of them, I thought it would be a set phrase.
Any اسم الفاعل can produce what would translate as an adverbial form in English. This is one of the purposes of the case called النصب, and that particular purpose is الحال. So عالما بـ in such a context means:
حالَ عِلْمِهِ بِـ

بـ is a shortcut for "any words that starts with the بِ preposition". Obvious بس (but; dialect) is something else ;).

And one last thing:
عالما بـ usually would be found in the middle/end of a sentence.

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”