Short questions

Moderator: eskandar

Saim

Re: Short questions

Postby Saim » 2017-06-09, 8:03

So I've been going through Glossika Arabic (Modern Standard) over the last couple of days and one of the things that struck me was the use of enclitic forms like إنّه for the copula instead of the subject pronouns I would have expected (in this case هو). Does this exist in vernacular varieties as well? Is there any difference between, say, إنّه جائع and هو جائع in MSA usage?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-06-13, 20:04

Saim wrote:Is there any difference between, say, إنّه جائع and هو جائع in MSA usage?

I bet you know already that ّإن is a particle of assertion and it's translated as "truly" or "indeed". It is used a lot in Quran. For example, in sura al-Kawthar (108:1)
إِنَّا أَعْطَيْنَاكَ الْكَوْثَرَ
Indeed, we have given you al-Kawthar.

إنّه جائع should be translated as "He is truly hungry". I don't know how stylistically relevant it is.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-02, 15:28

vijayjohn wrote:I have no familiarity with either of them (all I have for Egyptian Arabic is the Lonely Planet phrasebook :lol:), but I just looked a bit online and found that people seem to agree that Kalaam Gamiil is a more comprehensive course (however, it assumes that you have a pretty solid background in MSA). Kullu Tamam has an average rating of 3.5 stars on Goodreads. Somebody said there that it has a lot of mistakes, and someone on Amazon said it's good if you're more comfortable reading transliterations in Roman script than in Arabic script. I think I'd probably go with Kalaam Gamiil. Of course, this is just my guess, though. :)

Thanks Vijay! I went with Kalaam Gamiil and really like so far.
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-08-14, 12:48

Where in the Arabic world is أبزن the word for "sink"?

I have always known مغسل and حوض.

I found it in this cute children's book that the publishers emailed me:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-5DxN ... JHckk/view

Thanks for sharing any insights!

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-08-14, 12:54

Likewise Schulz gives مخزن along with محل and دكان for "shop". The last two I'm familiar with but the first I've always thought of as "warehouse" or "storage".

I guess these terms differ from region to region.

Please advise.

شكرا

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-26, 6:26

Talha wrote:Where in the Arabic world is أبزن the word for "sink"?

Maybe Saudi Arabia? I found that word here, where it's apparently used for 'sink' (or maybe I got that wrong? I found that via this image, which I found by looking for "أبزن sink" without quotes in Google Images).
Talha wrote:Likewise Schulz gives مخزن along with محل and دكان for "shop". The last two I'm familiar with but the first I've always thought of as "warehouse" or "storage".

I guess these terms differ from region to region.

Either that or these are just not the meanings of these words that people usually associate with them, I guess. I mean, these meanings aren't all that distant from each other anyway, and some European languages actually got their word for 'shop' from مخزن. I think this might also be a Saudi usage (not necessarily limited to Saudi Arabia).

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-10-25, 18:03

What kind of Arabic does Makan 33 use? (live feed here). Is it just MSA or there's stuff in Levantine Arabic as well?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-10-25, 18:37

I just watched for a minute and it seemed to be in the middle of a soap opera. They were speaking Levantine colloquial and the subtitles were in MSA.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-11-10, 16:15

Saim wrote:What is the meaning of خصم and اللدود in this sentence?

I didn't know these words but their use in this sentence is clear from the dictionary, no? I'm looking up on aratools.com:
خصم - adversary
اللدود - mortal

خصم السعودية اللدود - the mortal rival of Saudi Arabia (or, as Google Translate translates it, the arch-rival).

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-11-10, 16:19

I got confused because I read السعودية as a noun (i.e. "Saudi Arabia", and Google gave اللدود on its own as "the arch" (which made me think of the physical object), and I read خصم as a verb (to defeat, subtract); so "he defeated Saudi Arabia the arch". :lol: Thanks.

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”