Arabic Study Group

Moderator: eskandar

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Arabic Study Group

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-22, 8:07

I know this is super-slow (sorry :para:), but I read both parts of الأسد وأصحابه.

I'm still a little confused by the sentence وليس هناك أعظم أجرأ من تأمين نفس خائفة. Does that mean something like 'there is no greater reward than (the reward inherent in) protecting a fearful soul'?

SomehowGeekyPolyglot

Postby SomehowGeekyPolyglot » 2019-02-23, 20:11

vijayjohn wrote:I know this is super-slow (sorry :para:), but I read both parts of الأسد وأصحابه.

I'm still a little confused by the sentence وليس هناك أعظم أجرأ من تأمين نفس خائفة. Does that mean something like 'there is no greater reward than (the reward inherent in) protecting a fearful soul'?
If it is about reward, then it should be أجر rather than أجرأ ;).

The word تأمين is used for simply "protecting something/someone". But also for "insurance".

But apart from that, the sentence does mean "There is no greater reward than (the reward inherent in) the تأمين of a fearful soul".
- Any two-digit no. of lang. learned in rotation
- Botany (EN, DE, ...)

SomehowGeekyPolyglot = SomewhatGeekyPolyglot = SGP

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-03-08, 5:11

Finally trying to get back to this. I read الحمامة المطوقة والجرذ . I looked up مطوقة (female ringdove) and انتبه ينتبه (to pay attention - d'oh, I knew this one).
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-10, 20:39

I finally read and listened to السلحفاة والبطتان, which I've read the original version of several times before.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-03-13, 4:17

I read الغراب وأصحابه part 1. I looked up انقذ (to save, rescue), مصادقة (none of the meanings made sense to me in the context, so I wasn't sure about this one - could it mean the same as صداقة [friendship] here?), ركض (to run), طارد (to chase).

I don't think I've encountered this phrasing before: لستُ أجد مكانًا أمينًا . I assume it means "I didn't find a safe place." It's the لست اجد that's new to me. Is it "I didn't find" or "I haven't found"? Or something else? "I'm not finding"? Google Translate gives "I cannot find" for لست اجد , whereas Reverso shows "I can't find" and "I'm not finding." Maybe it can be all of these? :hmm:
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-16, 4:06

I read الطائر والقرود, and I don't understand the men's advice: لا تحاول تقويم ما لا يستقيم 'don't try to correct one who doesn't stand up'? Did they mean something like 'don't try to correct someone who won't listen anyway'?

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”