Puig.

Moderator: Iván

Cécile

Puig.

Postby Cécile » 2005-06-15, 13:29

How do you pronounce the name Puig?

I found it twice in books and I really wonder how you pronounce it!

Thanks a lot for your help! :P

Cécile
"Aimer le vrai parce qu'il est vrai et non juger vrai ce que disent ceux que l'on aime."
George Steiner.
---

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2005-06-15, 15:34

It's Catalan, means mountain and sounds more or less like "Puch" (with a u like in put) when using English pronunciation.
Please correct my mistakes!

Cécile

Postby Cécile » 2005-06-15, 15:58

Ok! :P
Thanks a lot, Car! :wink:
"Aimer le vrai parce qu'il est vrai et non juger vrai ce que disent ceux que l'on aime."

George Steiner.

---

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2005-06-15, 16:23

De res. :wink:

Maybe you'd like to have a look at the basic pronunciation rules, too.

勺园之鬼

Postby 勺园之鬼 » 2005-06-15, 18:28

That's right, it's the equivalent of the occitan word puèg, which means mountain as well.

You will find a lot of people with the surname "Puech" (the francised version of puèg), in many areas in France, and especially in my region.
四海为家

Cécile

Postby Cécile » 2005-06-15, 22:26

Merci pour l'étymologie du nom, je connaissais pas du tout! Et j'aurais été incapable de trouver la source!

Merci Car pour le guide de prononciation!

George Steiner.

---

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-06-15, 23:58

LOL Just to show you an example of how many people has problems with this, my Catalan literature teacher's second surname is Reig and she told us students Spanish people were always wondering about its pronunciation :lol:.
Most said incorrectly [rejk] or [rej]. It's funny to see this kind of mistake, as there are many words in Catalan which end in -ig such as passeig, mareig, faig or maig :) which are actually pronounced, as Car already pointed out, as [tS], but keep in mind that when followed by another word, the voiced variation [dZ] is used.

--
vaig passar el maig a casa (I spent May at home)

勺园之鬼

Postby 勺园之鬼 » 2005-06-16, 8:28

A bit off-topic... Avignon's mayor is called Marie-Josée Roig. I believe it is catalan too, and very few people pronounce it the correct way, even if there are many catalans who are called so and insist on the correct pronunciation... ;)

I, as an example, gave up on having French people pronounce my surname properly :(
四海为家

Cécile

Postby Cécile » 2005-06-16, 11:44

JunMing wrote:I, as an example, gave up on having French people pronounce my surname properly :(

Mais si, mais si, il faut nous expliquer!! :P

George Steiner.

---

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2005-06-16, 15:54

Tenma665 wrote:but keep in mind that when followed by another word, the voiced variation [dZ] is used.

Thanks for pointing it out, I wasn't aware of it (anymore?). And I thought that I had at least improved my pronunciation... (I still think I did, but obviously there's still a lot to do).

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-06-16, 16:50

JunMing wrote:That's right, it's the equivalent of the occitan word puèg, which means mountain as well.

You will find a lot of people with the surname "Puech" (the francised version of puèg), in many areas in France, and especially in my region.

That's interesting, JunMing. Is this "èg" in Occitan pronounced similarly to its Catalan equivalent?

By the way, and a bit off-topic, but still regarding Catalan orthography and pronunciation, I also wanted to point that there are Catalan words and names which contain ch. That's because before the definitive reform of orthography at the wake of the 20th century, some other spellings were used, and "ch" was not suppresed until then. The reason was very simple. These two letters came to represent the phoneme [k], so it was pretty useless to mantain the h. :? Some of you may have heard about the famous Catalan songwriter Lluís Llach. His surname means "lake", but if it had been written with the modern Fabrian orthography it would have been simply "Llac", dropping the unnecessary h.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » 2005-06-28, 23:23

Interesting, does anyone know the etymology of the word? Do Catalan and Occitan also have words for mountain which resemble the normal romance word?

Ozy

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-06-28, 23:46

puig : from Vulgar Latin podiu, 'pedestal', 'support', which acquired the meaning of 'small hill' in Gallia (French puy, Provençal pog, puei, Italian poggio).
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » 2005-06-29, 0:10

Interesting, thanks, Psi!

Ozy

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2005-06-30, 19:45

Catalan also has muntanya, but I can't tell you anything about its usage.

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-06-30, 20:06

Car wrote:Catalan also has muntanya, but I can't tell you anything about its usage.

Muntanya indicates a tall mountain, while puig and turó are words which indicate hills (I guess "hill" would be the best translation for "puig") or small mountains of lesser height.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-06-30, 23:06

Do you say muntanyes russes in Catalan? :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2005-07-01, 0:46

According to the Catalan-Valencian-Balearic dictionary (dcvb.iecat.net):

"Muntanya russa: elevació natural o artificial del terreny, disposada per a llenegar-hi o córrer-hi amb fort impuls que permet seguir les baixades i les pujades."

That's a rollercoaster, isn't it?

:wink:

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-07-01, 11:29

Psi-Lord wrote:Do you say muntanyes russes in Catalan?

Generally we use the singular form. Muntanya russa, as you can see in elxiquet's post :D
elxiquet wrote:According to the Catalan-Valencian-Balearic dictionary (dcvb.iecat.net):

"Muntanya russa: elevació natural o artificial del terreny, disposada per a llenegar-hi o córrer-hi amb fort impuls que permet seguir les baixades i les pujades."

That's a rollercoaster, isn't it?

:wink:

Doncs sí, encara que la definició sigui un pèl estranya (m'agrada el diccionari) :D Per cert, sabies que els russos diuen "muntanya americana"? :P M'ho va dir la meva ex-professora, que va treballar en una i es va sentir culpable tot el temps pensant que estava fent una feina antisoviètica :D

morprussell

Postby morprussell » 2005-09-08, 8:41

There is a small town in Catalunya called Puigcerdá in the Cerdaña Valley... how would this be translated. The town is built on a hill, so that takes care of the "Puig" part... as for the "cerdá"?

Return to “Catalan/Valencian (Català/Valencià)”