Learning Catalan

Moderator: Iván

Fenek

Learning Catalan

Postby Fenek » 2002-06-27, 12:14

¡Hola!
Sorry, I'm turning to English, because if I tried to write it in Catalan it would take me four hours or so... :(
Unfortunately, there is small possibility to learn Catalan if you live in Poland :( There are no language courses, no books, no native speakers. Maybe I could learn Catalan at the Iberistics facculty of my university, but it is the vacation period now.
I was able to construct two sentences in Catalan thanks to having read your message, having read another Catalan texts I saw and some Internet resources. But I lack a complete Catalan course.
That's why I ask, could some native Catalan speaker (Skłodowska? Pa-integral?) give me a lesson, please?
I'd like to know some Catalan pronouns.
How to say the following phrases in Catalan?

Je le vois
Je la vois
Je les vois
Je l'ai vue
Je lui ai donné des livres
Je leur ai donné des livres

Fenek

PS

Postby Fenek » 2002-06-27, 13:49

> I was able to construct two sentences in Catalan thanks to having read your message

I meant the Skłodowska's message.

Oh and I can understand Catalan (I have some difficulties, but I am able to understand), so you can explain the matter in Catalan, providing me with another valuable source and example of living Catalan :)

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2002-06-27, 23:43

FENEK!!!
hmmmmm I still can't believe you, a guy from Poland, and Sou, another from Thailand, wanna learn Catalan!!! it is so amazing... it's genial.... és la puta hòstia! (takling badly in catalan).
Well, Sou is already in my messenger list, I dunno if you use it, but if you do, add me, we'll talk in Catalan :) (kRoKoDiLiNo@hotmail.com).
And feel always free to send any e-mail asking whatever, ok?
Proycon asked me some days ago about doing a Catalan course, I'll consider it!

Now, I'll answer to you pronoun questions:
Je le vois ---------------> El veig
Je la vois ---------------> La veig
Je les vois --------------> Els veig (m) Les veig (f)
Je l'ai vue --------------> L'he vista

(you can also say "l'he vist" but as it is a femenine direct object, you'd rather put the participle in femenine too. If you don't it is not incorrect, but it's quite "more correcte" to concorde it as you do in French)

Je lui ai donné des livres Li he donat llibres / uns llibres
Je leur ai donné des livres Els he donat uns llibres / llibres

Hmm... you're in front of one of the most difficult things in catalan grammar, even for catalan speakers.If you ask 100 people to translate the last sentence , 90 of them would say: "els hi he donat uns llibres /llibres" well, although almost everyone says that, IT IS NOT CORRECT AT ALL.

These pronouns are called "pronoms febles" and are, as I've said, one of the most difficult things in Catalan language. Using only one pronoun is ok, but combining them can be quite diffcult. You may find sentences like:

"Compra pa a en Jordi al supermercat"

The complements of this sentence would be combined like this:

"Compra-li-n'hi"

As I've said this is really hard, so, don't pay much attention to double, triple or even higher pronouns combination, ok?

And well, just remember that you can ask me whatever you want to, ok? And so can you Sou! Or anyone who wants to know anything about Catalan language, I'll be really pleased to help you all!!!

Kisses,
Jasmine

Sou

Learning Catalan in Thailand

Postby Sou » 2002-06-28, 11:24

Hola amics!

Folks, the situation is even worse here. It's absolutely impossible to find a Catalan course in Thailand (Even Spanish course is hard to find). There are no natives, nor books, nor University course. Sometimes I feel I am the only one in this country who's learning Catalan.

One more thing, it's the national characteristic that Thai people never want to learn foreign language, except for languages that they can make profit from. So they've never thought of 'small languages' (sorry to say that Jas :roll: ).

I'm very happy to know, at least, that I have one more friend who shares the same difficulties of learning Catalan with me. :D Bon Courage!!
Sous l'ombre de Bouddha, je prends refuge.
Sous l'ombre de Dharma, je prends refuge.
Sous l'ombre de Sangha, je prends refuge.

Re: Learning Catalan in Thailand

Postby Guest » 2002-06-28, 19:27

Sou wrote:Hola amics!

Folks, the situation is even worse here. It's absolutely impossible to find a Catalan course in Thailand (Even Spanish course is hard to find). There are no natives, nor books, nor University course. Sometimes I feel I am the only one in this country who's learning Catalan.

One more thing, it's the national characteristic that Thai people never want to learn foreign language, except for languages that they can make profit from. So they've never thought of 'small languages' (sorry to say that Jas :roll: ).

I'm very happy to know, at least, that I have one more friend who shares the same difficulties of learning Catalan with me. :D Bon Courage!!

You probably feel that way because you ARE the only Thai learning Catalan... :(

Also most Thais probably don't know of Catalan.

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2002-06-29, 20:50

¡Moltes gràcies, Skłodowska!
Ara no uso cap instant messengers. I no puc parlar en català encara :(

¡Hola, Sou! :)

bluechiron

recommendations?

Postby bluechiron » 2002-07-01, 23:01

What books/materials do you recommend to learn Catalan? After reading about everything here, I went to a local bookstore and found one book that didn't seem very useful...

Just wondering, thanks in advance.

Sou

llibres en català

Postby Sou » 2002-07-03, 8:43

I have only one book I can find. It is "Teach yourself Catalan" by Alan Yates. First 1975, Fourth 1984. I bought it 3 years ago according to the advice of my new friend from la Generalitat whom I met in front of a newspaper kiosk in Barcelona. It's a completely useful grammatical reference, but you know, it's hard to imagine how are catalans really speaking with their typical accent and intonations. And in some linguistic aspects I still couldn't understand why is it like that..... and I couldn't find out until now.
Sous l'ombre de Bouddha, je prends refuge.
Sous l'ombre de Dharma, je prends refuge.
Sous l'ombre de Sangha, je prends refuge.

bluechiron

Thanks, Sou

Postby bluechiron » 2002-07-03, 18:27

Yes, that is the book I found. It looked ok in some senses, but not great in others, and it is one of the only books in that series with no audio tapes.

If you need any of the grammatical points explained, I teach Spanish and have a knowledge of some Southeast Asian grammar, so I might be able to explain it to you in way that makes sense. Only if you're interested, of course. I'll be away from the forum for several days, but please let me know if you would like to try--perhaps you can teach me the Catalan you know that way too. :)

azcoi

Learning Catalan out there

Postby azcoi » 2002-08-01, 10:59

Hola amics, és molt curiós veure que hi ha gent per aquest món, Polònia i Tailandia, que vol aprendre el català. Suposo que és el mateix que devien pensar uns nois de Geòrgia, CEI, entrant a una botiga de Tarragona un dia en que estava jo de visita comercial i en dir-me que eren d'allà els vaig respondre en georgià.

Hi friends, it is quite curious to see that there's people out there, in Poland and Thailand, who want to learn Catalan. I guess that's what some guys from Georgia, CIE, felt when came into a shop I dropped by for business, and I answered them in Georgian when they told me their nationality.

If you need anything about Catalan, I'm also at your disposition, and 'ànims, el català és molt fàcil'.

Juan Carlos
from Barcelona

kcs932

wow

Postby kcs932 » 2005-09-09, 8:54

De debò, és increible veure com gent de llocs tan allunyats del món volen aprendre Català :shock: . S'em venen unes ganes boges d'aprendre idiomes. Si qualsevol de vosaltres necessita algun tipus d'ajuda, no dubti en contactar amb mi. :D

Petons!!!

Karles des d'Alacant

It's trully incredible how people from far away want to learn our language. When I think of that, I'd like to continue my languages studies with a huge smile on my face. If anyone of you need some help, do not doubt to contact me.

Kisses!!!

Karles from Alacant

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2005-09-09, 18:03

Unfortunately, there is small possibility to learn Catalan if you live in Poland

By the way, I'm pretty sure that there's an Instituto Cervantes in Warszawa. They teach Spanish as well as other languages from Spain. I used to take courses in the Dublin IC. Though, the courses are pretty dear.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
My Youtube Channel
Last.fm

elxiquet

Re: wow

Postby elxiquet » 2005-09-10, 16:18

kcs932 wrote:Karles des d'Alacant

Home, un paisà i tocayo :p

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2005-09-13, 8:54

gigant26 wrote:
Unfortunately, there is small possibility to learn Catalan if you live in Poland

By the way, I'm pretty sure that there's an Instituto Cervantes in Warszawa. They teach Spanish as well as other languages from Spain. I used to take courses in the Dublin IC. Though, the courses are pretty dear.

I wrote those words three years ago. The situation has changed :) Now you can learn Catalan at the Warsaw University for free 8)
I'd appreciate any corrections to my messages!
Vi sarò molto grato per ogni correzione!
Zelo vam bom hvaležen za popravke!
Aş fi recunoscător pentru orice corectare!
Bio bih vam veoma zahvalan na ispravkama!

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-09-13, 9:53

Fenek wrote:
gigant26 wrote:

I wrote those words three years ago. The situation has changed :) Now you can learn Catalan at the Warsaw University for free 8)

Really? That's great!! Are these courses available for all Uni students or just for those who are taking a related degree?

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2005-09-13, 11:17

Tenma665 wrote: Are these courses available for all Uni students or just for those who are taking a related degree?

For all UW students. If you're not a UW student, you have to pay for the course.
I'd appreciate any corrections to my messages!
Vi sarò molto grato per ogni correzione!
Zelo vam bom hvaležen za popravke!
Aş fi recunoscător pentru orice corectare!
Bio bih vam veoma zahvalan na ispravkama!

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-09-13, 12:15

I should move to Warsaw and start giving classes there 8) Would be fun.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2005-09-13, 12:16

Fenek wrote:For all UW students. If you're not a UW student, you have to pay for the course.

You're so lucky. My university of applied sciences has so few courses (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Chinese), and we're not allowed to take courses at the university. :(
Please correct my mistakes!

Return to “Catalan/Valencian (Català/Valencià)”