rera

Moderator:Iván

0stsee
rera

Postby 0stsee » 2007-03-06, 14:52

Hola gent! (I mean, hi guys!)

Yesterday I looked up into the Catalan Bible I borrowed, and in a verse there was a word (rera) I couldn’t find up in the dictionary.
The sentence sounds like this:

… L’home vell que … s’anava corrompent rera les cobejances enganyoses.

What does rera mean?
Another question: As I looked up for the word cobejances in the dictionary, I found cobejansa with an s. Is this just a spelling variety? Or does it actually change to c in plural?

Moltes gràcies!

Mark

Guillem

Re: rera

Postby Guillem » 2007-03-06, 15:57

0stsee wrote:Hola gent! (I mean, hi guys!)

Yesterday I looked up into the Catalan Bible I borrowed, and in a verse there was a word (rera) I couldn’t find up in the dictionary.
The sentence sounds like this:

… L’home vell que … s’anava corrompent rera les cobejances enganyoses.

What does rera mean?
Another question: As I looked up for the word cobejances in the dictionary, I found cobejansa with an s. Is this just a spelling variety? Or does it actually change to c in plural?

Moltes gràcies!

Mark

rera is a variant of darrera/darrere, which means "behind" :)

Well... in theory a plural word that ends in -ances is supposed to have -ança as its singular. "Cobejar" means to deeply desire something, "cobejança" is its nominalised form. I'm not sure "cobejansa" is correct, though. But maybe in an older spelling? I'm not sure because it's not exactly a common word, and you may find words spelt similarly in 19th century Catalan: a well-known example would be the name of the Romantic movement known as "Renaixensa" which is now spelt as "Renaixença"

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2007-03-07, 2:38

Grácies, Guillem!

Yes, it is pretty old a dictionary. I think it's even from the thirties. ;) But actually it has been helpful. Most of the words I looked for I found them there.

Mark

Return to “Catalan/Valencian (Català/Valencià)”