Happy National Day

Moderator: Iván

culúrien

Happy National Day

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-11, 21:12

Happy National Day Catalonia! Does anything special happen today?
استیسی

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2006-09-11, 22:56

Felicitats als catalans, tot i que recordeu una desfeta... :?

Celebrian, I think there've been plenty of official acts, some demos, etc... We'll wait for a catalan to explain it better hehe

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2006-09-12, 4:26

Well yeah, just the usual demonstrations, public speeches from politicians, people displaying flags, the homage to the victims of war and repression at el Fossar de les Moreres and so on... *yawns* :wink:

elxiquet wrote:Felicitats als catalans, tot i que recordeu una desfeta... :?

Celebrian, I think there've been plenty of official acts, some demos, etc... We'll wait for a catalan to explain it better hehe

I know, I've always found it weird that this particular day was chosen, but I don't think there is any other truly significant time of the year anyway... And commemorating the (very) short lived Catalan republics instead may have been a bit pointless... :mrgreen: and probably way too offensive to many Spanish nationalists since Spain is a kingdom bla bla bla
:roll:
I myself spent the day sleeping... :mrgreen: That's what public holidays are especially good for!

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2006-09-12, 14:10

Guillem wrote:I know, I've always found it weird that this particular day was chosen, but I don't think there is any other truly significant time of the year anyway... And commemorating the (very) short lived Catalan republics instead may have been a bit pointless... :mrgreen: and probably way too offensive to many Spanish nationalists since Spain is a kingdom bla bla bla

In Valencia we have October 9, because king Jaume entered the city that day defeating the muslims and creating the Kingdom of Valencia. And on April 25 we commemorate the defeat in succession war and loosing our own laws (April 25 is oficially the valencian parliament day, but not holiday for almost anyone).

I myself spent the day sleeping... :mrgreen: That's what public holidays are especially good for!

Hehe yeah, you're so right hehehe.

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2006-09-12, 18:00

elxiquet wrote:
Guillem wrote:I know, I've always found it weird that this particular day was chosen, but I don't think there is any other truly significant time of the year anyway... And commemorating the (very) short lived Catalan republics instead may have been a bit pointless... :mrgreen: and probably way too offensive to many Spanish nationalists since Spain is a kingdom bla bla bla

In Valencia we have October 9, because king Jaume entered the city that day defeating the muslims and creating the Kingdom of Valencia. And on April 25 we commemorate the defeat in succession war and loosing our own laws (April 25 is oficially the valencian parliament day, but not holiday for almost anyone).

Is it a holiday for civil servants or something like that?
As for Catalonia I hear there was an alternative proposal of a holiday, the foundation of the country by Wilfred the Hairy (known to us as Guifré el Pilós, what a great name... lol) but the idea wasn't really popular since medieval history tends to be a bit too obscure, and also, besides that, the notion of independence (in this case, from the Franks) in the Middle Ages can be quite blurry and certainly unlike what the word implies nowadays, no matter how much Catalans love it :P ...so we ended up celebrating only the famous defeat.

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2006-09-13, 22:15

Guillem wrote:Is it a holiday for civil servants or something like that?`

Nope, maybe for MP's...but don't know really.

As for Catalonia I hear there was an alternative proposal of a holiday, the foundation of the country by Wilfred the Hairy (known to us as Guifré el Pilós, what a great name... lol) but the idea wasn't really popular since medieval history tends to be a bit too obscure, and also, besides that, the notion of independence (in this case, from the Franks) in the Middle Ages can be quite blurry and certainly unlike what the word implies nowadays, no matter how much Catalans love it :P ...so we ended up celebrating only the famous defeat.

Hehehe, yeah... and maybe because historical consequences of that defeat are still in people's memories and written history hehe

Return to “Catalan/Valencian (Català/Valencià)”