Translation

Moderator:Mulder-21

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-02-25, 21:09

einhar wrote:You know because kuærn doesn't seem to fit in I was thinking of the word einhver = somone.
Could you give me your translation of each word?

"Nu æn flere aghu i therre kuærn ælla uærkum, sum hioldu, tha bøte huar, sum a til i thøm, ælla gangin i gialdit mædh hanum." Let's analyse word-by-word (manuscript - normalised - direct translation):

Nu - nú - now
æn - enn - still
flere - flériR/fléraR - several (nom. plur. masc./fem.)
aghu - águ - own (3rd pers. plur.)
i - í - in
therre - þérra - their
kuærn - kvern - mill
ælla - ellaR - or
uærkum - verkum - works (dat.)
sum - sum - which
hioldu - hjóldu - held (3rd pers. plur.)
tha - þá - then
bøte - bœti - may be fined
huar - hvar - who
sum - sum - which
a - á - own (3rd pers. plur): contradicts 'aghu' above, though
til - til - to
i - í - in
thøm - þœm - them (dat. plur.)
ælla - ellaR - or
gangin - ganginn/gangin - [ModSwe gången, dunno a good english word for this]
i - í - in
gialdit - gjaldit - payment (def.)
mædh - með - with
hanum - hanum - him (dat.)
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-02-25, 22:48

Nú eiga fleiri í þeirri myllu [s]kvörn[/s] eða þeim verkum er ollu þessu, þá bæti hver sinn hlut í þeim, ella verði þeim hegnt líka [s]með honum[/s].

If more than one owns this mill or take part in what caused this, then each and everyone compensates for their share, otherwise they will also be punished.

This is my understanding on this.

Ps.
Kvörn is a small apparatus in Icelandic so I presume it's mylla.
Last edited by einhar on 2006-02-26, 17:43, edited 4 times in total.
Sat þar á haugi
ok sló hörpu
gýgjar hirðir
glaðr Egðir;
gól um hánum
í gaglviði
fagrrauðr hani,
sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-02-26, 2:54

einhar wrote:I remember my grandmother asking me, nær kemur mamma þín heim. I didn't know what she was meaning in the beginning this is/was very unusal at least in Reykjavik, she was from the Vestfjords. This nær was hvenær = when. Usually nær means near.

This is exactly the way we express that sentence: Nær kemur mamma tín heim? Is it thinkable, that your grandmother maybe had Faroese roots? Or is this really an Icelandic dialect?

Hunef, what you mentioned about the number 2 and 7, don't apply to Faroese, since they are tvey and sjey (technically, 2 has three names one for each gender: tveir, tvær, tvey, but all are diphthongs nevertheless)

In Faroese, the 'kuøærn' is 'kvørn', pronunced [kv9dn]
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-02-27, 17:51

einhar wrote:Nú eiga fleiri í þeirri myllu [s]kvörn[/s] eða þeim verkum er ollu þessu, þá bæti hver sinn hlut í þeim, ella verði þeim hegnt líka [s]með honum[/s].

If more than one owns this mill or take part in what caused this, then each and everyone compensates for their share, otherwise they will also be punished.

This is my understanding on this.

Ps.
Kvörn is a small apparatus in Icelandic so I presume it's mylla.

I guess that Icelandic mylla 'mill' comes from Danish mølle. If I am not mistaking, the Scanian word is mölla. (Scanian is East Danish together with Bornholmish.) Ultimately, this word is Low German. The corresponding word in Scandinavian is kvern/kvarn. Obviously, while norwegians and swedes generalised the old word kvern/kvarn to not only mean a hand driven grinder but also a big wind or water driven mill, the danes borrowed the Low German word to be used for the latter purpose. Icelandic then followed Danish in this sense.

In Swedish, kvarn is used both for mills and hand-driven grinders. (väderkvarn = wind-driven mill, vattenkvarn = water-driven mill, köttkvarn = meat grinder (hand-driven), kaffekvarn = coffee grinder (hand-driven) etc.)
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-02-27, 18:00

einhar wrote:I remember my grandmother asking me, nær kemur mamma þín heim. I didn't know what she was meaning in the beginning this is/was very unusal at least in Reykjavik, she was from the Vestfjords. This nær was hvenær = when. Usually nær means near.

That'd be "Nár kem mammą dí heim?" in Jamtlandic.

To put the hve- thing before nær/när/når sems to be an anglification or a need for conforming the interrogative system, i.e. all questions are words beginning with hv-. Obviously, the Vestfjord dialects are as archaic as the Mainland Scandinavian languages in this sense.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-02-27, 18:04

Mulder-21 wrote:Hunef, what you mentioned about the number 2 and 7, don't apply to Faroese, since they are tvey and sjey (technically, 2 has three names one for each gender: tveir, tvær, tvey, but all are diphthongs nevertheless)

I know that it doesn't apply to Faroese; after all, Faroese and Icelandic are two very different languages. (Though spelled using similar conventions.)

BTW, I was referring to '2' in neuter nominative/accusative specifically, i.e. ON 'tvau'.

Note that Old Norse 'tvau' and 'sjau' have become 'tu' and 'sju' (normalised and sjú) in Modern Swedish. (Though 'tu' is frozen, but nevertheless used specifically for referring to one clearly masculine and one clearly feminine thing together, e.g. "De unga tu" = "The young two" = 'The young man and woman'.) Since au > ö is the normal thing in Swedish, one would've expected 'tvö' and 'sjö' in Swedish as wel, but obviously, one has 'u' instead of 'ö' by some reason. :roll:
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-03-01, 18:01

Islændinge siger 'vaska upp' men Dansker siger 'vasker op'.
Hvad med Føroyingar, Nordmæn, Svensker og Jämsker?
Vi siger 'netið' (the net) för internet, det var först 'internetið' og 'alnetið'.
Last edited by einhar on 2006-03-01, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-01, 19:59

einhar wrote:Islændinge 'vaska upp' Dansker 'vasker op'.
Vi siger 'netið' (the net) för internet, det var först 'internetið' og 'alnetið'.

Norwegians use 'å vaske opp' ('å vaska upp' in Høgnorsk, though) as well. In Swedish it is 'att tvätta upp' and in Jamtlandic "til tvætt' upp". (In Norwegian one may use 'tvette'/'tvetta' as well, but that's unusual I guess.)

In Swedish, one says 'nätet'. (That's at least how I say when speaking "proper" Swedish. Of course, I use 'internet' as well - especially when speaking with kids who were hardly born in the internet boom in 1994 - but it doesn't fit in well when speaking Swedish. To me, 'internet' sounds like kids' speech.)
Carl Sagan

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-03-02, 3:34

einhar wrote:Islændinge siger 'vaska upp' men Dansker siger 'vasker op'.

Føroyingar vaska upp.

We also have the verb 'at tváa', however, it's highly archaic.

What happened to the Norse verb 'at lauga'?

Colloqually we say internetið, but the official term is alnótin.

Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-03, 21:37

Mulder-21 wrote:

Føroyingar vaska upp.

Don't 'at tváa' and 'at leyga' refer to the act of washing yourself rather than clothes and other stuff? If washing yourself (or other living beings) is the meaning of 'vaska upp' (Ice., Far.) and 'vaske op' (Dan.), then it is 'att tvätta (sig)' or 'att två (sig)' in Swedish. A slightly older word is 'att löga (sig)'. In Jamtlandic we have those words as well, though with other spelling and pronunciation.
Carl Sagan

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-03-04, 4:17

Hunef wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:

Føroyingar vaska upp.

Don't 'at tváa' and 'at leyga' refer to the act of washing yourself rather than clothes and other stuff? If washing yourself (or other living beings) is the meaning of 'vaska upp' (Ice., Far.) and 'vaske op' (Dan.), then it is 'att tvätta (sig)' or 'att två (sig)' in Swedish. A slightly older word is 'att löga (sig)'. In Jamtlandic we have those words as well, though with other spelling and pronunciation.

Not 'at tváa' it can be used with anything. Some examples:

Lat sál mína tváa sær í tíni dýrd = Let my soul wash itself in your grace (I think)
Nú hevur áin tváað alt reint har = Now the river has washed everything clean there
Ilt er svart skinn hvítt at tváa = (Saying) It's hard to wash a black fleece white

According to the Faroese-Faroese dictionary, 'at leyga' is also 'at vaska', however it's mentioned in Svabo's dictionary from the 1780's and it noted to been used especially about infants, or newborns. This word is not used in Faroese today though. Or well, not as far as I am aware of.

Another verb is 'at tvaga', which means to wash something dirty. For instance, 'at tvaga burtur av gólvinum' means to wash the floor.

However, 'at tvaga' is also used about when you soak land in urine (also called 'land' in Faroese), or when you soak anything at all in urine. The corresponding noun is 'tvag', which is urine, especially used as a detergent. It can also mean simply 'strong detergent', which I'd assume was the modern meaning, although I've never seen it used before.

Also, at 'vaska upp' only means when you wash the dishes.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-04, 18:06

Mulder-21 wrote:
Hunef wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:

Føroyingar vaska upp.

Not 'at tváa' it can be used with anything. Some examples:

Lat sál mína tváa sær í tíni dýrd = Let my soul wash itself in your grace (I think)
Nú hevur áin tváað alt reint har = Now the river has washed everything clean there
Ilt er svart skinn hvítt at tváa = (Saying) It's hard to wash a black fleece white

The verb 'att två' is very general in Swedish as well. A very common derived verb is 'att rentvå' which means 'exculpate', i.e., to be freed from suspicions of crime. 8"Han är rentvådd" = "He's freed from suspicions of crime".)[/quote]

Mulder-21 wrote:According to the Faroese-Faroese dictionary, 'at leyga' is also 'at vaska', however it's mentioned in Svabo's dictionary from the 1780's and it noted to been used especially about infants, or newborns. This word is not used in Faroese today though. Or well, not as far as I am aware of.

Another verb is 'at tvaga', which means to wash something dirty. For instance, 'at tvaga burtur av gólvinum' means to wash the floor.

There's a swedish verb 'att tvaga' as well with the same meaning. This verb refers to a more violent way of clean things up than the verb 'att tvätta'. (Soap an water is not enough, ther's some kind of tool involved as well.) For example, in old houses, you didn't 'tvätta' the floor, but rather 'tvaga' it. ("En måtte tvaga golvet, det räcker inte att bara tvätta det" - "One needs to 'tvaga' the floor, it's not enough just to 'tvätta' it".)

Mulder-21 wrote:However, 'at tvaga' is also used about when you soak land in urine (also called 'land' in Faroese), or when you soak anything at all in urine. The corresponding noun is 'tvag', which is urine, especially used as a detergent. It can also mean simply 'strong detergent', which I'd assume was the modern meaning, although I've never seen it used before.

This meaning is not used in everyday Swedish.

Mulder-21 wrote:Also, at 'vaska upp' only means when you wash the dishes.

OK. In Swedish one uses 'att diska' or 'att diska upp'.

The verb 'att vaska' exists in Swedish as well (though either archaic or dialectal), and 'att vaska upp' may mean to wash dishes or wash clothes, but only by hand (not by some machine) and in running water in e.g. a creek. (The verb 'att vaska' is used also when looking for gold in creeks.)
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-03-04, 20:48

In Icelandic we have:
þvo þvott = laundry washing
skúra gólf = clean floor
að þvo sér = wash yourself
að fara í bað = taking a bath
að lauga sig (not common today) = taking a bath

How do you say pole or rod in your languages.
fishing rod = veiðistöng
flagpole = fánastöng, flaggstöng
fly at half-mast = flagga í hálfa stöng
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-03-05, 3:58

Faroese:

fishing rod = tráða
flagpole = flaggstong
fly at half-mast = flagga á/í hálvari stong (when people are wearing too short pants, you can say to them: 'Nú flaggar í hálvari stong hjá tær.'), flagga lágt

Danish:

fishing rod = fiskestang
flagpole = flagstang
fly at half-mast = flage på halv stang

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-05, 22:07

einhar wrote:In Icelandic we have:
þvo þvott = laundry washing
skúra gólf = clean floor
að þvo sér = wash yourself
að fara í bað = taking a bath
að lauga sig (not common today) = taking a bath

One has skura golv (normalised: "skúra gulf") "[skʰʉːra gɔlʋ]" 'clean floor' in Swedish as well.

In Jamtlandic, one would say til fara og bada [tʰɪ farɑ ɞ baðɑ] 'to take a bath'.

I am amused to see that Icelandic has had the evolution > vo, e.g. þvá > þvo, vár > vor (both the season and the possessive pronoun), vágr > vogur 'bay' etc. Well, what has happened is rather that after a v [w], á [ɔː] has preserved it's monophtong pronunciation.

einhar wrote:How do you say pole or rod in your languages.
fishing rod = veiðistöng
flagpole = fánastöng, flaggstöng
fly at half-mast = flagga í hálfa stöng

In Swedish,

fishing rod = fiskespö
flagpole = flaggstång
fly at half-mast = flagga på halv stång

In Jamtlandic, I think that 'fishing rod' would be fiskiróð [ˈfɪʃːəˌruː]. Note that róð [ruː] both means and is cognate to 'rod'.

(NB1: Swedish spö would be *spauð in Icelandic and *speyð in Faroese if any of these languages have this word which is related to Swedish spjut 'spear', i.e. Old Norse spjót which was the less poetical form of saying geirr.
NB2: Like Icelandic, the a in ON ang has become like á in Swedish, i.e. å.)
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2006-03-06, 0:13

I've never heard this 'spauð', but we have 'spjót'.
spýta = spit
hrækja = spit
spýja = vomit, spit out
spyrða saman = tie together
sposkur = ironic, sarcastic
spenntur = eager, anxious
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-06, 2:42

einhar wrote:I've never heard this 'spauð', but we have 'spjót'.
spýta = spit
hrækja = spit
spýja = vomit, spit out
spyrða saman = tie together
sposkur = ironic, sarcastic
spenntur = eager, anxious

In Swedish:

spotta = spit (in Jamtlandic, spýtt')
dunno any cognate of hrækja (OIce hrækja or hrœkja?)
spy = vomit (this suggests a normalisation to spý)
dunno any cognate of spyrða, but knyta samman 'tie together'
spotsk = sarcastic ("spott och spe" = 'criticism')
dunno any cognate of spenntur
Carl Sagan

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-03-06, 3:46

að spýta = at spýta
hrækja = ráki, spýtt
að spýja = at spýggja
spyrða saman = binda saman
sposkur = speiskur
spenntur = spentur

I know of no cognates for 'spyrða' but try looking in the new 'Íslensk-færeyjsk orðabók' / 'Íslendsk-føroysk orðabók', you might find some there.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-03-06, 5:54

Perhaps Swedish spänd is cognate to spen(n)tur? It seems to have the same meaning. Sorry for missing this.
Carl Sagan

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-03-06, 6:19

Hunef, what are the Swedish, Jämtlandic and Dalecarlian words for 'excited'? (spentur also means excited in Faroese, and I would be surprised if this also applies for Icelandic)

Return to “Faroese (Føroyskt)”