Wishing to start learning.

Moderator:Mulder-21

danbrownlow
Wishing to start learning.

Postby danbrownlow » 2008-06-16, 12:24

Hello all!

I'm just writing to ask, how many of you none native speakers got into learning Faroese. I've wanted to learn a new language for a while and have decided on learning Faroese.

Has anyone got knowledge of some useful books, web links, anything which could be of help.

Thanks a lot!

danbrownlow

Postby danbrownlow » 2008-06-16, 23:44

Lol....Anyone? I've scouted the internet for a while now to no avail. I'm kind of stumped. Even the most basic guides would be appreciated.

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-06-17, 9:17

Well, I'm a native speaker, so I'm always here to help. However, I was also hoping for a response to your question, since it's really an interesting one.
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2008-06-17, 14:08

I would love to start learning Feroese, but I am struggling at the minute with Icelandic and I think learning both at the same time would really confuse me :?

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2008-06-17, 19:43

Nolan Llyss wrote:I would love to start learning Feroese, but I am struggling at the minute with Icelandic and I think learning both at the same time would really confuse me :?

Hmm, I should collaborate with the Icelanders to make a Wikisite similar to this, this and this.
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2008-06-17, 19:54

That is definitely a good idea. I can understand written Feroese most of the time but Icelanders keep telling me how different from Icelandic it is when spoken. I wonder... :?

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-06-17, 20:08

Well I tried, but I failed :P I wanted to learnt he language of my known realtives, but... I never succeeded ^^'
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

North

Postby North » 2008-06-17, 22:45

I learned the language by joining a Faroese choir when I lived in Denmark (Danish is my native language), and after a break from the choir, I settled in the Faroes - so I've always had people around me to ask. And my boyfriend, of course, who is Faroese, has also helped me a lot - and not to forget, Mulder - who have been kind to explain me a couple of things (or three!) on this board. Thanks a lot! :praise:

So I've never really used any books, except a dictionary. :?

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2008-06-17, 22:52

I've never found any books concerning faroese grammar in English. The only information I've ever found online is the stuff in the unilang wiki (http://home.unilang.org/wiki3/index.php/Faroese)
استیسی

danbrownlow

Postby danbrownlow » 2008-06-19, 13:57

Yea', thanks for the reply. I always knew this was going to be a tough language to learn but I'm ordering a dictionary, and looking through links to listen to see if I can pick up anything.

I've always loved the Faroe Islands and would love to one day move there, but then I heard of Tyr and loved the language straight away. I'm 19 now, so I need to start learning now lol.

Thanks!

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2008-06-19, 18:00

It´s funny how often people can get attracted to a country by listening to the music :D

Was the same for me and Iceland, Ireland, Finland... well too many.

ikkon

Postby ikkon » 2008-06-28, 4:13

I´ve been off of the forums since a few weeks ago so I hope it´s not too late to reply this post.

I am a none native Faroese speaker and I live far from Europe, which means I don´t have any scandinavian-nordic relatives :lol: or have the chance to go every summer to the Faroes.

It has been kinda hard to learn this language but I don´t quit (not yet :lol:)

Well, in my case the first move i did into the faroese language was: http://home.unilang.org/wiki3/index.php/Faroese
I have this guide full printed and it´s helpful... it´s good to get an idea of the pronounciation and know the alphabet, vowels, verbs (grammar) etc...

Then you can try browsing the Faroese media websites, at this moment i only know these sites:
http://www.uf.fo/ (here you can find a podcast! -news- but helpful aswell)
http://www.olivant.fo/ (here you can find a link to the faroese radio on internet, you only need windows media)
http://www.dimma.fo/

***I´m sure there are other options but i only know these ones ok?

Also if you like faroese music and as i read you like Týr, you should join to the official forum, Cat, who is the admin. posted some links there:
http://www.tyrforum.fraendar.com/viewtopic.php?t=561
there you can find more faroese people (i guess).

I´ve also tried with faroese music...I am not what you can call a fan of Týr´s :oops: but I have their songs on my iPod and honestly I prefer listening to them singing in Faroese... iiuuuu :P
But since my "roots" are popish and rock-pop (mainstream) I have to mention Teitur, Evør and Frændur...
Teitur´s CD "Káta hornið" has helped me a lot, because i can listen the pronounciation very clearly and it has a booklet! (thxs God) so i can follow the lyrics...maybe you can find some videos on http://youtube.com/

When i visited the Faroes last year i got my orðabók and somebody gave me: :roll: Harry Potter and the goblet of fire (faroese version) :notfunny: so time to time i read it (supporting with other 3 books!) and make notes on it.

-also I took a mag from the plane but sshhh hehe-

And the last but not the least Mulder has helped me a lot too...answering questions and doubts, correcting my pronounciation and recording some audio files when i need it. Still, I have several probs with the R,Ó, ø, B,V sounds (and my pronounciation suxxx :P)

But i want to learn it!!!! [spoiler](i need it, i really like it)[/spoiler] :P

So, don´t ask me how much have i learnt, guess not that much...because it´s hard, but sometimes i write simple phrases even if they are closed to Tarzan style (me Tarzan you Jane) :biglol: but be corrected help me a lot. Yeah, i make a LOT of mistakes hahahaha...i don´t care guys hahahaha...one thing it´s for sure you need to be patient.

Well this is way too long now...

And see you all later!

;)
Ikkon

ps: haven´t you missed me on this forum? hehehe
freedom comes when you learn to let go
creation comes when you learn to say no

Garaidh

Re: Wishing to start learning.

Postby Garaidh » 2008-08-01, 19:22

Hey Dan!

Am in London too and struggling to learn Faroese.

If you try Grant and Cutler they have a few books but they are mostly in Danish.

A really good book is the Kauderwelsch phrasebook . They even do an accompying cd

http://reisebuch.de/specials/kauderwels ... 10098.html

Return to “Faroese (Føroyskt)”