Food in Faroe Islands

Moderator:Mulder-21

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-28, 16:55

Mulder-21 wrote:Hunef, it tastes salty.

Because it's conserved or prepared in salt, or because the meat is actually salty?
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Catharina

Postby Catharina » 2007-03-28, 18:34

Man I wan't wait to get to the Faeroes:-)

I had lundi once in Iceland, some years ago...carpaccio from smoked puffin...it was VALHALLA and I would love to have it again! *melts into a puddle on the floor*

I had whale too that night, but it tasted a little like liver, which I don't like so much. I look forward to trying the dried whale strips.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-28, 19:28

Catharina wrote:Man I wan't wait to get to the Faeroes:-)

I had lundi once in Iceland, some years ago...carpaccio from smoked puffin...it was VALHALLA and I would love to have it again! *melts into a puddle on the floor*

To me, Valhalla is pig meat. :wink:

Catharina wrote:I had whale too that night, but it tasted a little like liver, which I don't like so much. I look forward to trying the dried whale strips.

Yeah, I have heard that whale meat is not so tasty, though I want to try it one day.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Catharina

Postby Catharina » 2007-03-28, 19:43

Anything that screams when it's killed - I'll eat with pleasure :shock:

ikkon

Postby ikkon » 2007-03-29, 17:08

Mulder-21 wrote:I didn't notice this thread until now :P

Well, bird, fish, whale. That about sums it up for national food.

Note: names are in Faroese with links to English Wikipedia articles.

When it comes to bird, we eat lundi, lomvigi, álka, havhestur, skrápur, skarvur, and gás (either grágás or heimagás). Otherwise, it's more or less similar to the rest of the world, except that we've never eaten pigeon here, which is a French delicatesse, I believe. Turkey is also not that common here, duck and goose being far more popular.

When it comes to fish, we eat so many kinds, but toskur, laksur and hýsa are worth mentioning.

Whale is probably the most controversial of all foods eaten by the Faroese. Or well it IS. Commonly there are three species driven, mainly the Grind(ahvalur) (has a link to an article concering whale driving) and much seldomly døglingur and springari.

When it comes to vegetables we're restricted to the potato, which in the Faroes is called epli [e:p_hl_0@], except in Suðuroy, where it's called epl [Epl_0]. All other vegetables and fruits are imported. If you are wondering why the Faroese still are alive without having eaten that many vegetables and fruit, it's because of their diet. Seabirds and marine life has been the source of such things.

Of course, you can't mention the Faroes without mentioning the most commonly accepted reason for the Faroes' name: The Sheep. Pretty much every part of the sheep is eaten: Heart, tongue, eyes, ears, brain, the meat itself of course prepared in various ways etc. A lot of possibilities.

So, that's in short something about the Faroese national foods.

Hunef, it tastes salty.

Yummy Yummy!!!! we´ll see!!!!

:wink:
freedom comes when you learn to let go
creation comes when you learn to say no

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2007-03-29, 18:14

Hunef wrote:To me, Valhalla is pig meat. :wink:

Wild boar is delicious, but damn expensive (here)! :( It has a sweeter flavor than pork.

Wild boar in the wild.

Wild boar on the table.
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-29, 22:13

Gormur wrote:
Hunef wrote:To me, Valhalla is pig meat. :wink:

Wild boar is delicious, but damn expensive (here)! :( It has a sweeter flavor than pork.

The Asterix comic books have always made me want to taste wild boar.
    Obelix with his dinner (I hope he won't be hungry after eating them)..
I mean, this won't make you hungry!?
    Eating wild boar.
Carl Sagan

EmperorOfTheUSA

Postby EmperorOfTheUSA » 2007-03-29, 22:38

ahh, good ol' asterix, anyone know if there is a faroese language version of it? that be awesome

einhar

Postby einhar » 2007-03-30, 0:57

I can´t find any photo of a singed head of lamb, svið, on the Web, but you can see rams scrotum, hrútspunga, on this site.

http://images.google.is/imgres?imgurl=h ... %3Dlang_is
Sat þar á haugi
ok sló hörpu
gýgjar hirðir
glaðr Egðir;
gól um hánum
í gaglviði
fagrrauðr hani,
sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-30, 1:05

einhar, do you eat sheep head like the gutnish people do?
    Lambskalli 'sheep head', a gutnish delicacy.
Here in Jämtland, we were more into goats than sheep, and we drank the milk rather than eating their meat (which I think my ancestors gave to the dogs). :lol:
Carl Sagan

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-03-30, 15:00

EmperorOfTheUSA wrote:ahh, good ol' asterix, anyone know if there is a faroese language version of it? that be awesome

Not that I know of unfortunately. There are Faroese versions of Valhalla though, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, we eat svíð aswell, we call it 'sviðin seyðarhøvd'.

Ram testicles are in some circles considered a real delicase, in Faroese they're called 'hvítanýru'

JP
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

einhar

Postby einhar » 2007-12-22, 23:20

Hunef wrote:einhar, do you eat sheep head like the gutnish people do?
Here in Jämtland, we were more into goats than sheep, and we drank the milk rather than eating their meat (which I think my ancestors gave to the dogs). :lol:

I made an inquiry in the Icelandic website - visindavefur.is - and asked if the word lambskalli was found in Icelandic.
The answer (http://visindavefur.is/svar.php?id=6835) from the Icelandic scientist was much of a dissapointment to me. After trying to guide them,in an email, where the origin of lambskalli came from, they withdraw their answer, but several weeks later it came back with some changes, but again the origin of lambskalli was wrong. They still quote to this Faroese Unilang thread and think the origin is Faroese.
Last edited by einhar on 2007-12-24, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-12-23, 22:22

einhar wrote:
Hunef wrote:einhar, do you eat sheep head like the gutnish people do?

A made an inquiry in the Icelandic website - visindavefur.is - and asked if the word lambskalli was found in Icelandic.
The answer (http://visindavefur.is/svar.php?id=6835) from the Icelandic scientist was much of a dissapointment to me. After trying to guide them,in an email, where the origin of lambskalli came from they withdraw their answer, but several weeks later it came back with some changes, but again the origin of lambskalli was still wrong. They still quote to this Faroese Unilang thread and think the origin is Faroese.

Oh, damn. I have unintentionally messed up your language by inventing the the normalized spelling lambskalli for Gutnish lambskalle (phonetically more correct and the usual spelling). :oops:
Carl Sagan

einhar

Postby einhar » 2007-12-24, 23:47

Hunef wrote:Oh, damn. I have unintentionally messed up your language by inventing the the normalized spelling lambskalli for Gutnish lambskalle (phonetically more correct and the usual spelling). :oops:

Just think about the power of Unilang :!:
The scientists just see the word lambskalli in a Faroese thread - conclusion :arrow: the origin is Faroese :roll: What a great diggers they are :(
I recommend a Nobel prize for their great work :idea:
Sat þar á haugi

ok sló hörpu

gýgjar hirðir

glaðr Egðir;

gól um hánum

í gaglviði

fagrrauðr hani,

sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-12-25, 0:25

einhar wrote:
Hunef wrote:Oh, damn. I have unintentionally messed up your language by inventing the the normalized spelling lambskalli for Gutnish lambskalle (phonetically more correct and the usual spelling). :oops:

Just think about the power of Unilang :!:
The scientists just see the word lambskalli in a Faroese thread - conclusion :arrow: the origin is Faroese :roll: What a great diggers they are :(
I recommend a Nobel prize for their great work :idea:

You just have to email them about it. I am sure even bad scientists can be corrected. :?
Carl Sagan

Return to “Faroese (Føroyskt)”