færojske dialectar?

Moderator:Mulder-21

Enguehard
færojske dialectar?

Postby Enguehard » 2007-03-01, 9:01

Ès tat nokke dialectar i færøyar?
Èc vèt at tat finnac ecke i Island... Mèn ès tat tat samme i færøyar?
Ef ja, canie tit seg mic vat ère hine victigste dialectiske variationine? Oc vat ère hine victigste dialectine?
Finnac tat èn mère gammal dialèct èn hine annarine? Eller ère tat bare fonetiske variationar?

Almar

Postby Almar » 2007-03-06, 15:37

...ha?

Aleco

Re: færojske dialectar?

Postby Aleco » 2007-03-06, 16:11

Enguehard wrote:Ès tat nokke dialectar i færøyar?
Èc vèt at tat finnac ecke i Island... Mèn ès tat tat samme i færøyar?
Ef ja, canie tit seg mic vat ère hine victigste dialectiske variationine? Oc vat ère hine victigste dialectine?
Finnac tat èn mère gammal dialèct èn hine annarine? Eller ère tat bare fonetiske variationar?

Is it any dialects on the Faroes?
I know there aren't any on Iceland... But is it the same on the Faroes?
If yes, can you tell me what the most important dialect variations are? And what are the most important dialects? Is there an older dialect that the others (?)? Or is it just phonetic variations?

I don't know if there are any dialects, but I know there are some major differences phnetical :wink:

(Iceland has the Akureyri-dialect ;) )
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-06, 19:20

Aleco wrote:(Iceland has the Akureyri-dialect ;) )

He he, yeah, "a-KUR-eyri". :lol:

There was a pretty distinct Eastern Icelandic dialect which obviously had Northern Norwegian influences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, nationalistic people in Reykjvík worked against its use. One particular feature was the broad vowels. For example, i and u were pronounced [e] and [ø] rather than the standard [ɪ] and [ʏ], respectively. Thus, e.g. niður 'down' was pronounced [neːðør] rather than the standard [nɪːðʏr]. Rest in peace, Eastern Icelandic - the damn Reykjavíkings have murdered you. :cry:
Last edited by Hunef on 2007-03-07, 0:00, edited 2 times in total.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-03-06, 22:34

Well, in short I can point to this map:

This map is very good. However, a few things are missing.

The island of Suðuroy (south of the turquoise line) has two more differences from the rest of the islands:

In Suðuroy short ø is pronunced [Y] instead of [9] as in the rest of the country.

Æ's history as being derived from ON É is very audible in Suðuroy, since long æ is pronunced [e:] and short as [E] (which is identical to how E is pronunced)

Furthermore, still in Suðuroy, -ir and -ur are in some dialects often pronunced [or] or [2r].

[n:] -> [dn] is also more common here. Most people further north would pronunce 'ánni' (definite dative of á (river)) as [On:I], where as in Suðuroy it's pronunced [OdnI] (like the name Árni).

Particularly in the capital dialect and the dialect of the 2nd biggest town, Klaksvík, the -ur and -ir endings seem to have merged to [Ir].

Tórshavn-dialects of pronunced unstressed -u the same way as unstressed -i [-e]/[-@], which means, that '(eg) komi' (I) come, and '(teir) komu' (they (pl.m.)) came may actually rhyme.

In the dialect in Gjógv, which is the northern most village on Eysturoy, 'vit' and 'tit' (we, you (pl)) are always pronunced with a short i, where other dialects have long i: [vIt_h], [tIt_h] <> [vi:t] [ti:t]

Many dialects also have short í/ý as [U]. In the capital is usually a shorter version of the diphthong [Ui] (which is how long í/ý is pronunced).

I think, that should cover it. I'll post more if I remember something, or some of you ask the right question(s).

Johan Petur
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Almar

Postby Almar » 2007-03-07, 1:35

Hunef wrote:

There was a pretty distinct Eastern Icelandic dialect which obviously had Northern Norwegian influences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, nationalistic people in Reykjvík worked against its use. One particular feature was the broad vowels. For example, i and u were pronounced [e] and [ø] rather than the standard [ɪ] and [ʏ], respectively. Thus, e.g. niður 'down' was pronounced [neːðør] rather than the standard [nɪːðʏr]. Rest in peace, Eastern Icelandic - the damn Reykjavíkings have murdered you. :cry:

Hmm, from what I know there was "Skaftfellskur einhljóðaframburður" in Eastern Iceland. Names like Logi and Bogi were pronounced like Looo-gji and Booo-gji, not Loji and Boíji like elsewhere. In the West Fjords, vowels that preceed ng or nk are pronounced without an umlaut, like they are written. You can read about (former) Icelandic dialects here (in Icelandic).

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-07, 18:48

Almar wrote:
Hunef wrote:

Hmm, from what I know there was "Skaftfellskur einhljóðaframburður" in Eastern Iceland. Names like Logi and Bogi were pronounced like Looo-gji and Booo-gji, not Loji and Boíji like elsewhere. In the West Fjords, vowels that preceed ng or nk are pronounced without an umlaut, like they are written. You can read about (former) Icelandic dialects here (in Icelandic).

Well, they don't mention the Eastern "breiðmæli" dialect at all there. I assume this means it is extincted today.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

wilsonsamm

Postby wilsonsamm » 2007-06-22, 12:34

What language was the OP speaking?
I understand it perfectly, but I don't have a clue what it was...

einhar

Postby einhar » 2007-07-05, 23:48

Hunef wrote:
Almar wrote:
Hunef wrote:

Well, they don't mention the Eastern "breiðmæli" dialect at all there. I assume this means it is extincted today.

I haven't heard the word 'breiðmæli', it won't Google up and it's not in my dictionary. My guess is that you are talking about 'flámæli', where the vowels i and u are pronounced as e and ö. I don't think this is accepted as a dialect, rather a sound error.
'Flámæli' was common in East, NortWest and South Iceland. And it can still be heard in East Iceland.

Example.

'Skyr' and 'sker' is pronounced the same way and 'skötur' and 'skutur' also.

Translation.

Skyr = a yogurt-like product
Sker = a skerry
Skötur = rays (the fish)
Skutur = a stern
Sat þar á haugi
ok sló hörpu
gýgjar hirðir
glaðr Egðir;
gól um hánum
í gaglviði
fagrrauðr hani,
sá er Fjalarr heitir.

Anaruk

Postby Anaruk » 2008-07-21, 3:27

wilsonsamm wrote:What language was the OP speaking?
I understand it perfectly, but I don't have a clue what it was...

Èc vèt tat ès en conlang af gammal norsc oc modernen sproc, mèn èc em ecke positiv.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-01-15, 1:05

I was just curious, what in the world is Anaruk speaking in? :lol:
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

kata

Postby kata » 2010-01-15, 20:50

Sean of the Dead wrote:I was just curious, what in the world is Anaruk speaking in? :lol:

He said 'conlang' so I'm assuming it refers to a constructed language, probably based on Anglisc and Old Norse. Just a shot in the dark though :)

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-01-15, 23:00

Ah ok, thanks. :P I missed "conlang".
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Return to “Faroese (Føroyskt)”