Language Course

Moderator: Multiturquoise

D39

Postby D39 » 2006-08-04, 14:05

nettchelobek1 wrote:what about the links? I'd be keen on learning Georgian, I love its script as much as Thai one... :D
Just a question: Does Georgian have declensions?

Yup. It has got:
Nominative
Genitive
Dative
Accusative
Instrumental and
Vocative.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-08-08, 5:22

D39 wrote:
nettchelobek1 wrote:what about the links? I'd be keen on learning Georgian, I love its script as much as Thai one... :D
Just a question: Does Georgian have declensions?

Yup. It has got:
Nominative
Genitive
Dative
Accusative
Instrumental and
Vocative.

not quite. there is no accusative (the dative is used instead) and it has two other cases - adverbial and ergative.

http://www.armazi.com/georgian/unicode/noun_cases.htm

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-10-01, 17:14

Look at this picture.
If you go to Georgia, you will probably famish. :lol:

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2006-10-20, 21:58

Would there be any interest in reviving this? I've just started learning Georgian and would be happy to add in some of my own notes as I go along.

ladyskywalker

Postby ladyskywalker » 2006-10-20, 23:44

Zorba wrote:Would there be any interest in reviving this? I've just started learning Georgian and would be happy to add in some of my own notes as I go along.

I hope so. I'm dabbling with Georgian myself and hate the fact there are so few resources available for learning the language. What are you using to learn Georgian?

<a href="http://aspiringpolyglotblog.wordpress.com/" target="_blank"><b>Aspiring Polyglot</b></a> - A blog devoted to languages and language learning

<b>Languages I'm Learning -</b> Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, Italian
<b>Languages I'd Like to Learn -</b> Ancient Egyptian, Romanian, Georgian, Modern Greek, Indonesian, Tibetan, Persian

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2006-10-21, 0:21

I'm lucky enough to be attending an evening class at university :) I also have a copy of Nikolaishvili's Intensive Course and the Howard Aronson grammar.

ladyskywalker

Postby ladyskywalker » 2006-10-21, 0:40

Oooh, very nice. :) I don't have the Aronson book yet but I'm seriously considering buying it soon. At the moment, I'm just using the few things I can find online and the Euro Talk : Georgian program. A nice little place to learn a few new words a day is at <a href="http://www.messenger.com.ge/" target="_blank"><b>The Messenger</b></a> (an online newspaper)...just click on the 'Georgian Words of the Day' link at the bottom. The only shame is that only the transliterated Georgian is available.

<a href="http://aspiringpolyglotblog.wordpress.com/" target="_blank"><b>Aspiring Polyglot</b></a> - A blog devoted to languages and language learning

<b>Languages I'd Like to Learn -</b> Ancient Egyptian, Romanian, Georgian, Modern Greek, Indonesian, Tibetan, Persian

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-10-21, 2:48

though i'm not studying much georgian these days (more a matter of lack of time/georgians to practise with than a lack of material) i am also in favour.
as for resources, the aronson grammar is already available at the link given above. both books have their shortcomings but beggars can't be choosers, right?
there is another book in english "georgian language for foreigners" by geguchadze, which would be a better option if it weren't so impossible to find.
on the other hand, if you know russian you have access to a much larger pool of learning material :
http://www.nukri.org/index.php?name=Cmo ... load&sid=6
(the russian version of nikolaishvili's intensive course can also be found here)

english-georgian online dictionary:
http://www.kvali.com/dictionary/v1/
(hint - to translate words from georgian to english use character map and check the box "მოძებნოს განმარტებაშიც")

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-10-21, 6:18

I'm also dabbling in Georgian, so I'll be checking here if there are any developments as well. 8)
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

ladyskywalker

Postby ladyskywalker » 2006-10-21, 13:18

Ah, so the PDF at that Seelrc.Org site is the Aronson book....I downloaded that once and started working through it but I found it rather dry and uninspiring. Still, beggars certainly can't be choosers. :?

There seem to be precious few other books available in English or any of the other languages I know. I've found material in German and Russian but, sadly, I can't read either of those. :(

Does anyone have any experience with G. Hewitt's books 'Georgian : A Learner's Grammar' or 'A Georgian Reader'?

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-10-21, 17:19

indeed it seems there are no books that are evenly balanced - most either go at it from a dry, descriptive grammar approach, or they are phrasebooky deals that don't give any deep insight into the language.
as for the learner's grammar by hewitt, i have it and don't recommend it. besides being expensive and very dense (much worse than the aronson grammar imho), it has been criticized by native speakers as being less-than-authentic (see the scathing review by the georgian professor on amazon.com).

another thing the aronson book has going for it is that the audio for it is available online:
http://languagelab.bh.indiana.edu/Georgian.html
(there are also recordings of the dialogues in the nikolaishvili book)

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-10-21, 17:25

there is another georgian professor who wrote a textbook for non-linguists, but it seems it has gone unpublished:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bi ... gs&P=12637
here is her website, which includes a short audio lesson.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-10-30, 17:15

i took the liberty to transcribe the mini audio lesson (by request...)

გამარჯობა hello
ნახვამდის goodbye
დიახ yes
არა no
გმადლობთ thank you
დიდი მადლობა thank you very much
ბოდიში i'm sorry
არა უშავს it is alright
არაფერს you're welcome
ვინ who
რა what
რა თქმა უნდა of course
თუ შეიძლება please
როგორა ხართ how are you?
კარგად, გმადლობთ. თქვენ? fine, thanks. and you?
გავიგე i understand.
ვერ გავიგე i did not understand
ერთი წუთით just a moment
ძალიან კარგია that is very good
მართლა? really?
სასიამოვნოა თქვენი გაცნობა nice to meet you
ბედნიერი მგზავრობა have a nice trip
დაბრძანდით sit down, please
მოითმინეთ wait
მაჩვენეთ show me
რა ღირს how much is it
ვიცი i know
არ ვიცი i don't know
ნელა ილაპარაკეთ, თუ შეიძლება speak slowly, please
გაიმეორეთ, თუ შეიძლება repeat, please
რა გნებავთ what would you like
მარცხნივ to the left
მარჯნივ to the right
აქ here
იქ there
აქეთ this way
იქით that way

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-01-16, 5:31

ყველას გილოცავთ ახალ წელს
anybody still alive?
i've started studying georgian again so i will (maybe) be posting here more often.
i finally got my hands on a copy of "the georgian language for foreigners" by geguchadze and while it's too soon to say how good it is (i'm only up to lesson 7) it already falls short on a few points. even in the early chapters some important details (like the extension and how to form the genitive) have been left unexplained. the later chapters are full of scary grammatical tables, and no exercises to practise what you have learned, only (untranslated) reading passages. so unless you already know some georgian, it's probably not possible to teach yourself with this book.
better to save your money and use the aronson book, which is free and which has all of the grammar of the geguchadze book, presented in a more coherent way.

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2007-01-16, 10:33

Am still alive and am intending to start posting again soon, maybe at the weekend. Would be great if you were around.

ninkaakanino

Postby ninkaakanino » 2007-01-27, 21:36

hi there :)
good luck again! lol. ;)
well with a little luck maybe i come in here once in a while to show you your mistakes :D lol, i'm bad. but i am really glad that anyone is learning beautiful and that difficult language :)
greetings to anatol

Cylon

Postby Cylon » 2007-06-28, 21:34

When will this course continue? :doggy:

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2007-06-28, 21:42

What's your level? Are you a beginner?

Cylon

Postby Cylon » 2007-06-28, 22:16

I am a total beginner actually. I just learned the alphabet and a couple of words and phrases. That's about it. I just think it is a beautiful language.And there are virtually no resources for this language. :?

But there is no rush. I'm just asking. If you could post some good links or something like that it would be fine. :)

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-07-21, 2:12

Cylon wrote:When will this course continue? :doggy:

Probably never. As I complained upthread there just aren't enough natives or interest in the language to make it worthwhile. Besides, I'm fed up with forums. So I'm starting my own blog:
http://samshoblochemolamazo.wordpress.com/
Nothing there yet, will start posting soon.

Return to “Georgian (ქართული)”