Future of the Caucasian Language Forums

Moderator:Multiturquoise

What type(s) or subforum(s) would you like to see for the Caucasian languages?

Poll ended at 2018-03-21, 21:19

One big forum with all Caucasus Mnts languages (including Armenian and Ossetic)
27%
One for the Kartvelian and Northern Caucasian languages
9%
One for Kartvelian and one for Northern Caucasian languages
27%
One for Georgian and one for all other Northern Caucasian and Kartvelian languages
27%
One for Georgian, one for Kartvelian, one for Northern Caucasian
9%
I have another idea
No votes

Total votes: 11

księżycowy
Future of the Caucasian Language Forums

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-07, 21:19

So, as you may have seen, we're discussing the idea of making changes to the forum structure in order to get rid of the "Other Language" section. Irusia posted a global announcement, which leads to this thread.

The question for those of you who frequent the Georgian forum is this:
-Do you want a merger with the topics of the other Caucasus Mountains languages (specifically the other Southern Caucasian languages, All of the Northern Caucasian languages [east and west], Armenian, and Ossetic)?

Please vote!

I'll run it exactly like I'm running the poll I created in the Hebrew forum (with one small change*):
-You can change your vote at anytime during the course of the poll
-This poll is timed. (We have to make a decision at some point after all. :P )

-If you select "I have another idea" you must comment below!

*As I'm not the mod of this particular subforum, I will not play the role of tie breaker.

Please feel free to reply below with your questions, comments, concerns, etc!
Last edited by księżycowy on 2018-03-13, 23:11, edited 5 times in total.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Re: Future of the Georgian Forum

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-03-07, 21:28

What if the two "yes" options each get fewer votes than "no", but together they would win? If the "yes, other idea" votes are explained as preferring a merge with only some Caucasian languages, or with more languages than the fist option, the "yes, other idea" voters would probably prefer the first option, the Caucasian merge, over no merge.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-07, 21:32

Yeah, i hadn't thought about that. I think that's a good point. New rule! (I hate coming up with rules on the fly like this!)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-10, 8:29

Armenian and Ossetic are Indo-European languages. I'm sorta afraid this might get some people confused. But hey, it's just my opinion.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-03-10, 8:45

I would say no, but you can move the threads about Laz, Mingrelian and Svan into this forum too. Georgian really deserves to exist here.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 10:57

atalarikt wrote:Armenian and Ossetic are Indo-European languages. I'm sorta afraid this might get some people confused. But hey, it's just my opinion.

I assume we're the one how voted "Yes - but I have another idea" then?

Multiturquoise wrote:I would say no, but you can move the threads about Laz, Mingrelian and Svan into this forum too. Georgian really deserves to exist here.

And Georgian will continue to exist here. It's not going anywhere. And given how popular the other Caucasian languages have been (perhaps with the exception of Armenian), it'll still be getting most of the attention. :wink:

Part of my thought process here is, if Georgian deserves a forum, shouldn't the other languages of the Caucasus Mountains? And it would be hard to convince the admins to create even a Northern Caucasian Languages forum.
So this is the only viable option in my opinion. Expand the Georgian forum.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-10, 11:00

księżycowy wrote:
atalarikt wrote:Armenian and Ossetic are Indo-European languages. I'm sorta afraid this might get some people confused. But hey, it's just my opinion.

I think it's a bit too early to say that. Let's wait for another day or two.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 11:03

atalarikt wrote:
księżycowy wrote:

I think it's a bit too early to say that. Let's wait for another day or two.

I meant to say "you're the one who voted." The poll still has 5 days to go, including today.

Are you the one who voted "yes, but I have another idea"? I just need to know so I know whether to count that vote or not. Or was it you Multiturquoise? Because if it's neither of you, it's at risk of being thrown out.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-03-10, 11:14

I voted for "Yes, but I have another idea". I want a merger with all the Caucasian languages, excluding Armenian and Ossetian, which are Indo-European. Although there are no relations between the three Causasian language families, they form a unity in that they are all distinct from Indo-European and Turkic languages that surround them. I would not just create a forum for a linguistic area composed by languages that share common phonetical and typological traits. The same logic could lead, for instance, to the creation of a Balkan forum and other Sprachbund-based fora.
Last edited by Massimiliano B on 2018-03-10, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-10, 11:29

księżycowy wrote:Are you the one who voted "yes, but I have another idea"? I just need to know so I know whether to count that vote or not. Or was it you Multiturquoise? Because if it's neither of you, it's at risk of being thrown out.

It was me, indeed.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-12, 12:04

So, some new information has come to light. Apparently the mods are willing to make new subforums out of the Trash Bin. Therefore I think we can open our poll here to some new options.

So far I think I'm seeing, beyond our present options are:
A separate forum for Northern Caucasian languages, a separate subforum for Armenian, and Vijay has suggested a general Iranian subforum that Ossetic can go in. We could also expand our Georgian forum here to all Kartvelian languages, or include that with the Northern Caucasian languages.

What do you guys think?

I'll expand the poll and give it some more time in a few days (2-3).

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-03-12, 13:20

As I said before, I would expand the Georgian forum to all Caucasian languages (Kartvelian, North-East Caucasian, North-West Caucasian).

księżycowy

Re: Future of the Caucasian Languages

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-13, 13:50

I've changed the poll to reflect the new information and proposals we've had come through in the past few days.

Please (re)vote!

EDIT: I should probably specify that the reason that I don't have Armenian or Ossetic in most of the proposals is because:
1. There would be too many options to make a poll workable.
2. I'm assuming that we could work out a place for them without the necessity of merging them with either Kartvelian or Northwest and Northeastern Caucasian languages. Provided we went with one of the options that did not include them.

In short, the first option (one big forum) is not necessarily the only option to pick for those interested in Armenian and/or Ossetic. You can voice your ideas if you'd like to see one of those two get a forum of some sort here.

I know that an Iranian subforum has been suggested, so we could potentially have Ossetic there.

Of course you can still vote for the one huge subforum if you'd like to see that.

księżycowy

Re: Future of the Caucasian Language Forums

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-22, 0:33

Well, this is interesting. We have a three way tie.

I welcome further discussion.

[As I expressed in the poll on Semitic languages, I'm not entirely sure what the admins intend to do with these polls anyway. So even supposing we had a clear winner, I'm not sure when we'd see any changes.]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-22, 0:55

Okay, I didn't even know this thread existed, and I haven't even read the comments too carefully yet, but I think it depends on whether we're going with a family-based approach or something else. If we're going by families, it should probably be something like:

- Armenian
- Northeast Caucasian
- Northwest Caucasian
- Kartvelian
- Ossetic (or Iranian or whatever)

If traffic is a concern, then maybe one big subforum for all of these (except maybe Ossetic and maybe Armenian) is better.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-22, 19:16

How would you like to settle this whole language family vs geographic grouping, Vijay-san?

Poll or just discussion?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-23, 0:02

It will have to be a gradual discussion since it's about all the languages of the world, not just the Caucasian ones. That doesn't mean you (or anybody else :P) can't still make multiple polls, too, though!

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-03-24, 20:04

I think it would be better to exclude Armenian and Ossetic.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-24, 20:10

I concer. I think it would probably be best to have them as seperate as possible, given that there isn't any connection between the Caucasian (i.e. Northwestern, Northeastern, Southern) languages as far as I know.

If we end up having to group them together, I'd say leave the Indo-European languages out and just make a Caucasian subforum for Northern and Southern/Kartvelian.

I'm sure we could find a home for Armenian and Ossetic elsewhere.

Return to “Georgian (ქართული)”