Motion verb questions

Moderator:Multiturquoise

Fear_a_Phléasc
Motion verb questions

Postby Fear_a_Phléasc » 2014-03-20, 0:59

OK, this post started out a lot longer, but I answered some of my own questions by scouring the conjugation tables at the back of this book. Otherwise, the explanations were non-existent in the text.

This one, though, I was not able to solve on my own:

რა გადის კინოში? დღეს ახალი კინო გამოვიდა

What does this even mean? It looks like it says "What is going out to the movie theater? Today a new movie theater came out." I don't understand either half of this. The initial question seems bizarre and the answer isn't much better. The only way I can think to have this make sense is if გადის means "to play" in the sense of a movie playing/running/appearing, and in the second part if კინო either refers to the movie itself and not the cinema or if გამოვიდა means "to open", which I doubt.

HoneyBuzzard

Re: Motion verb questions

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2014-03-20, 14:14

Fear_a_Phléasc wrote:The only way I can think to have this make sense is if გადის means "to play" in the sense of a movie playing/running/appearing

That's exactly it. To quote Beginner's Georgian by Dodona Kiziria (chapter two):
რა გადის means what is on, what are they showing? This question can also be asked about any theatrical or opera performance.

Fear_a_Phléasc wrote:and in the second part if კინო either refers to the movie itself and not the cinema or if გამოვიდა means "to open", which I doubt.

On rel.ge (which I know nothing about, it came up first on Google) a movie's year of release is referred to as გამოსვლის წელი, so კინო გამოდის must mean "a movie opens, is released."

Fear_a_Phléasc

Postby Fear_a_Phléasc » 2014-03-20, 22:39

Awesome, thanks! This is probably the most poorly written section of Kurtsikidze's book, as far as explanation of material presented. The whole section on motion verbs is one page of explanation, one page of examples, one page of conjugations and two pages of exercises.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2014-03-29, 14:37

Georgian: A Continuing Course, Georgian: A Structural Reference Grammar and I think Aronson's Georgian a Reading Grammar itself have good info on motion verbs.

Thank God the distinction habitual X single ocurrence isn't as strict as in Russian.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Return to “Georgian (ქართული)”