ქართული ენის ელექტრონული სწავლების კურსი

Moderator:Multiturquoise

Fear_a_Phléasc
ქართული ენის ელექტრონული სწავლების კურსი

Postby Fear_a_Phléasc » 2014-02-22, 1:25

http://www.ice.ge/web/elearning_geo.html

This site is pretty interesting to me. It is basically a Georgian course for people who speak either Turkish or Armenian. Unfortunately, I don't speak either. However, it's all in Georgian too. When learning a new language, things about that language in that language really interest me, i.e. I own an Irish-Irish dictionary (the words and definitions are in Irish, just like what you would have if you looked up a word in a regular English dictionary), and that's the first place I look up a word if I don't know it. The idea is that it's far preferable to contextualize the word in the actual language rather than equating it to a word in your own that isn't the exact same word, no matter how closely it may come to it in definition or form. So understanding this site is a unique challenge for me. It isn't my primary source of learning the language, but I've started the process of translating everything into English as well, so as to make the site quadralingual. My main issue so far is that I haven't learned yet how to make imperatives, which seems to be a common thing in instructive material (i.e. "read this, answer these questions, pronounce these words". They are easy enough to identify but how to figure out the verbal noun or present/future forms from those is not something I'm yet that good at, and of course some of them will be irregular. Google translate is actually of some help, where ordinarily it would be almost useless (translating a normal page in Georgian into English yields pretty humorous results). At least it usually tells me what verb I'm dealing with, even if it gets the tense completely wrong, i.e. if it comes up with "selects" and I know it is imperative, I can be sure that it means "select".

I know there is already a section for learning notes of other sources, but I think this one site is potentially interesting enough that it deserves its own thread. As I go through it, I am inevitably going to have questions about it, because there is no English on there at all. I should add that the other appeals to this site are: 1. there is a decent amount of audio, and in contrast to other free online courses, there is a lot of dialog audio, not just recordings of words or phrases, and 2. it is structured according to the European fluency rating system and progresses from A1, A2 up through B1. Presumably, at the end of this course, one will have a B1 or possibly B2 fluency. Being able to track your progress in this way is intriguing.

Anyways, on to my first questions:

http://www.ice.ge/web/1/____qrammatika.html

შეარჩიეთ ბ გ დ ბგერების შემცველი სიტყვები და ამოიწერეთ.
Select the words containing the sounds b g d and ?

Google translate gives this last word as "issued". Trying to engineer what I think the verb is, seems like "ამოწერა" = to extract. If you look at the context, it then lists some words, all of which contain those letters. It seems like it's saying to select the words containing those sounds and extract (i.e. pick out?) them? I don't quite get it.

Then there is:

http://www.ice.ge/web/1/________oxu__yaz.html

კარგად დააკვირდით წერის მიმართულებას და გამოწერეთ ასოები:
Observe well (i.e. carefully?) the direction of writing the letters and ? the letters:

Looking up გამოწერა I get variations on "subscribe". Is the above sentence a mistake? It seems like it should be გადაწერეთ, but I'm obviously pretty green.

It could be I end up dropping this project, but it's an interesting challenge to complement my other studies.

HoneyBuzzard

Re: ქართული ენის ელექტრონული სწავლების კურსი

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2014-02-22, 10:08

Too ambitious for my blood, but good luck. :)

Fear_a_Phléasc wrote:http://www.ice.ge/web/1/____qrammatika.html

შეარჩიეთ ბ გ დ ბგერების შემცველი სიტყვები და ამოიწერეთ.
Select the words containing the sounds b g d and ?

Google translate gives this last word as "issued". Trying to engineer what I think the verb is, seems like "ამოწერა" = to extract. If you look at the context, it then lists some words, all of which contain those letters. It seems like it's saying to select the words containing those sounds and extract (i.e. pick out?) them? I don't quite get it.

It's in Apridonidze:

ამოიწერს (ამოიწერა, ამოუწერია) vs (<ამოწერს) will copy sth (out) for o.s.

Lit. and copy (them) for yourself.

Fear_a_Phléasc wrote:http://www.ice.ge/web/1/________oxu__yaz.html

კარგად დააკვირდით წერის მიმართულებას და გამოწერეთ ასოები:
Observe well (i.e. carefully?) the direction of writing the letters and ? the letters:

Also in Apridonidze:

გამოწერს (გამოწერა, გამოუწერია) 1 will discharge sb; 2 will write out sth (prescription); will order sth (by post; to be paid);

Lit. and write the letters out.

Also note that the preverb გა- means out. Compare Russian выписать (вы-, out) with the same meaning, arguably German aufschreiben, etc.

I don't know if this is a calque or an expression of the same underlying logic. :hmm:

Fear_a_Phléasc

Postby Fear_a_Phléasc » 2014-02-22, 22:04

გმადლობ!

It looks like I'm going to have to get a copy of that dictionary as well. It seems very helpful. ;)

Most of the translations aren't that difficult, actually. You end up coming across familiar forms and words which is a good way to learn them, even if they're somewhat more advanced. The most difficult part of the whole thing is that obviously the directions themselves aren't at the same level as the lesson material, so the lesson material is easily translated but not the directions.

The main disappointment is that it doesn't seem like the text from the audio dialogs are anywhere on the pages. In some cases they are mostly present in the linked exercises, which I have not attempted to work on. At about lesson 12, I start hearing one or two words I can't decipher and after that they become more numerous, even though the basic vocabulary and grammar covered in that section is all review for me. At some point, a probably more useful task will be to try to transcribe all those bits of audio and write down the scripts. I think these could be useful not only to myself but to others.

Also note that the preverb გა- means out. Compare Russian выписать (вы-, out) with the same meaning, arguably German aufschreiben, etc.

I don't know if this is a calque or an expression of the same underlying logic.

Yeah I've started paying attention more to preverbs. They can be useful, even in the less obvious cases. It seems in many languages there is a common notion of directionality associated with certain non-directional tasks (i.e. writing "out"). It makes a sort of sense, as the more you write, the longer what you've written becomes, as though you are pulling it out of yourself. Making conceptual links like this is also really helpful in learning a language, I find.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2014-02-26, 21:03

I have been through the whole course and I'm not at B1 yet :) This is because I decided to move on even when I didn't memorize anything.

You're right that there are no full transcripts, but the exercises will have most of the texts for most lesson.

When you can't translate a word from Georgian into English properly, you may try translating the Armenian or the Azeri. That's valid also for the explanations.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Fear_a_Phléasc

Postby Fear_a_Phléasc » 2014-02-28, 19:35

I have been through the whole course and I'm not at B1 yet :) This is because I decided to move on even when I didn't memorize anything.

Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? ;) Reading through it is one thing, but actually doing everything the course asks one to do is quite another.

Did you listen to all the audio and understand it? At what lesson do you find it unintelligible?

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2014-03-11, 13:50

I don't really understand the whole audio, I only get the gist of it and supplement my understanding with the excerpts one can find at the dialogues. It would be really nice to have transcriptions, but I think the course was designed having immigrants in mind, on a classroom set.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Return to “Georgian (ქართული)”