Learning Notes - Expugnator

Moderator:Multiturquoise

E}{pugnator
Re: Learning Notes - Expugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2014-05-07, 18:25

I liked the Georgian Embassy's page on FB. There is going to be a festival of Georgian movies from May 21st to May 26th. I can't make it to go to Brasília for a week, but I'm glad to take note of the filmlist, and there are recent films on it. Way to go, Super Challenge!

ჩემი ბებია (My Grandmother) 1929
ფიროსმანი (Pirosmani) 1969
მონანიება (Repentance) 1986
გაღმა ნაპირი (The other bank) 2009
გაიღიმეთ (Keep smilling) 2012
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2014-05-12, 13:55

Finished Kurze Grammatik der Georgischen Sprache! Here is what I wrote:

This book did well both for my Georgian and my German. It is the type of grammar I like, with lots of sample sentences, especially when it comes to syntax. I managed to go through really complex subordinate clauses that look odd in both Georgian and German from the point of view of a Portuguese and an English speaker, and to make it harder, Georgian and German didn't match each one's word order either! To follow the tradition that the best resources for Georgian so far are in Georgian, I have to state that this grammar is the most didactical one I've met. It's shortness allows us to learn the basics without bothering too much on morphology exceptions. Comparing it to Tschenkéli's book, it is evident that KGGE isn't as comprehensive, but it has just what a beginner or an intermediate learner needs. Both grammars are way better than Aronson's or Hewitt's works, for that matter. So, to sum up, I recommend you to use this grammar early on at your studies, preferably after going through your first or second textbook.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2014-05-20, 13:27

Alice Charmichael Harris' book isn't teaching me much in terms of the actual Georgian; I'm skipping some linguistic discussion, but I'm still learning quite a bit of syntax for sure.

I really like the claim that future participles in the adverbial cases = infinitives :)

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2014-12-02, 20:16

Just thought I'd let you guys know: I'm using this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=39LFF ... 5HZ4B6HOK9

The Russian in it is harder than the Georgian...but so far it was the book with the most authentic dialogues I've found after A Continuing Course.

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2014-12-03, 18:55

Is that the right URL? It just asks me to log in. I think there may be some logged-in stuff encoded in the URL.

stibbshoo

Postby stibbshoo » 2014-12-04, 1:23

Is this the correct link?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/5803331236/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

Gruzinskij jazyk. Samouchitel': Georgian. Self-teacher for Russians (Russian Edition)

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2014-12-09, 18:46

I don't know, but it loads for me. Too bad I can't read Russian. :lol:

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2014-12-09, 21:18

Yes that's the book. Didn't know I was logging in, thanks for the help.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2015-01-02, 13:50

Another year has passed and I was learning Georgian consistently, though far away from my goals. I need to learn better this year, because it is not a matter of time availability. I read texts when I still couldn't understand enough the language and thus learned very little from them, but in the past weeks I noticed some improvement. My main difficulty is finding Georgian videos with subtitles so that I can get a better grasp of the spoken language. I will have to repeat some of my resources and make a better use of them.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2015-12-09, 21:22

I came accross the following sentence:

"იყო ერთი ღარიბი გლეხი, ჰყვანდა ერთი ვაჟიშვილი"

from an old book. What is ჰყვანდა? An old form of ჰყავდა? A Russian-like participle?

stibbshoo

Postby stibbshoo » 2015-12-11, 2:59

Looks like an obsolete form of ჰყავდა. From the 2-volume Georgian-English Dictionary (Rayfield, Margalitadze, et al.):

ჰყავს v inv (no aor, ჰყოლია; impf ჰყავდა, ჰყვანდა (†)) sb (IO) has sb/sth (animal, car)

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2015-12-19, 14:15

It's already been answered, but this place is so quiet these days I might as well chip in with a quote from Aronson:

ჰყვანდი: = ჰყავდი. მყვანდა is an archaic imperfect (alongside მყავდა) for the verb მყავს. (The form is still found in Eastern and Mountain Georgian dialects.)

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2016-01-12, 20:50

Wow, I totally missed on this! I didn't expect an answer. Thank you guys!

Let's keep this place a little busier then!

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2016-01-23, 12:18

One quick question: what does აუტყდა mean?

იყო ერთი ღარიბი გლეხი, ჰყავდა ერთი ვაჟიშვილი. აუტყდა ერთხელ ცოლი: ე ბალღხ ხელობა რამ ასწავლებინე, თორემ შენ რა ხეირი გაყრია, ეგ რა უნდა იყოს, ეგრე შენსავით უცოდინარი რომ დარჩესო.

Also, where can I look up those individual forms, or at least some common forms instead of the verbal nouns? That's tricky especially for verbs with supletion. I remember finding some large dictionaries of verbs, but forgot them. Meanwhile, I also have at least 3 books on verbs (including the one from Tamar Makharoblidze) which I plan to check while trying to write.

stibbshoo

Postby stibbshoo » 2016-01-27, 17:05

From the Comprehensive Georgian-English Dictionary:

აუტყდება (აუტყდა, ასტყდომია) vi2 (<ატყდება)
1 will break out on/for sb, sb will have a fit of sth: ამიტყდა ხველა I had a coughing fit; ალიაქოთი ~ a row will break out;
2 will happen to sb: აგვიტყდა ხათაბალა! We got into trouble;
3 will insist to sb

It's probably definition 3 based on the context. For future reference, you could try using this program I wrote for Windows which can quickly search through all entries in the aforementioned dictionary. I updated it recently, so it's a lot faster searching within definitions now (press Ctrl+D in the program to enable/disable searching within definitions).

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2016-01-29, 18:38

I ended up using the dictionary. Thanks for sharing your tool, it's even more practical to look it up.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2016-01-30, 10:51

At Amazon it says the dictionary is two-volume, is the copy we have and your tool complete?

stibbshoo

Postby stibbshoo » 2016-01-30, 17:15

It is "complete" in the sense that the PDF appears to be a single-volume copy and not part of a larger set. Remember that the PDF document we have (i.e. the content my program searches through) is a single-volume copy of a draft (declared at the top of each page in the document's main content), and probably not the same content as the official print edition. The draft contains typos and mistakes, among those text decoration and format inconsistencies, and showing the wrong number next to a definition in a numbered list. I can't speak for the completeness of the document, though, since I am not one of the authors, nor do I have any scholarly background in the Georgian language.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2016-02-14, 12:24

The dictionary is a great resource as an app, it brought Georgian learning to a new level.

I have a question: how do I input ყ on it? The other letters match the way I input on Google Translator, for example, but I can't map this one to my keyboard (would be the y).

stibbshoo

Postby stibbshoo » 2016-02-15, 4:28

Thanks for the feedback.

And whoa, I can't believe I overlooked that letter. Turns out I accidentally (and incorrectly) mapped 'q' to both ქ and ყ (ქ taking precedence). I uploaded a newer version that has the fix applied (y is now mapped to ყ). Use the same link I posted earlier to download it.

Just so you know, the Georgian keyboard conversion feature (the Georgian flag button) isn't required to input Georgian characters. It's only for those who don't have or can't install a Georgian keyboard/input method for their OS.

Return to “Georgian (ქართული)”