Zorba -- Georgian Language

Moderator:Multiturquoise

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2007-01-16, 10:35

So how do adjectives pluralize? would the sentence 'The girls are good' be translated as "გოგოები არიან კარგები."? And do adjectives referring to inanimate nouns pluralize as well? 'The tables are big' 'მაგიდები დიდებია'?

RCA

Postby RCA » 2007-01-16, 15:28

Zorba wrote: - Consonant stem nouns add ს: ბიჭის, მეგობრის (note the fleeting vowel),
მეზობლის, მინოდვრის (ო changes to ვ)

Well, luckily only two vowels may fall out from word stems: and , and, as you’ve already said that, may transform into . :)
Zorba wrote: - Vowel stem nouns in ო and უ keep their endings and add -ს
ბოგო - გოგოს; კუ - კუს

There is the only exception, which regards the word ღვინო (wine) – its genitive is ღვინ.
Zorba wrote: - Proper nouns never lose their last vowel:
რამაზი - რამაზის; გიორგი - გიორგის, ელენა - ელენეს, ნინო - ნინოს.

I can add that if a common noun is treated in the context as proper noun it will follow the rule for proper nouns, e.g.:

დედს სიყვარული – mother love
დედს ოთახი – Mother’s room
შენი მამს მეგობარი – your father’s friend
მამს მაგიდა – Father’s table
Zorba wrote:- რა ფერი არის შენი დის სახლი? (does this make sense?)

:hmm: I am not sure… According to my dictionary, green can be said მწვანე and მწვანე ფერის in Georgian. It reminds me Russian or Ukrainian (зелёного цвета, зеленого кольору), which use the genitive case in such constructions (какого цвета? якого кольору?). So I guess it may be the case in Georgian too and the phrase should sound as რა ფერი. I can also add that I’ve found a lot of such phrases on Georgian forums.
Zorba wrote:- შენი მეგობრის ძაღლი შავია, მეგრან სანდროს ძარლი ყავისფერია.

As far as I know, but is written გრა in Georgian (at least, this is what my dictionary says).
Zorba wrote: ის მეზობლის კატა.

ის მეზობლის კატა.

zhiguli, thanks
'A vita è 'n'affacciata 'e fenesta.

RCA

Postby RCA » 2007-01-23, 13:03

Zorba wrote:So how do adjectives pluralize? would the sentence 'The girls are good' be translated as "გოგოები არიან კარგები."? And do adjectives referring to inanimate nouns pluralize as well? 'The tables are big' 'მაგიდები დიდებია'?

Well, I guess I know the answer. On a Georgian forum I was told that adjectives pluralize in a predicative position if the subject is a pronoun: ისინი ლამაზებია, ჩვენ ლამაზები ვართ, but do not pluralize in other cases and their form does not depend on whether the subject is an inanimate noun or not: ეს ყვავილები ლამაზია and ეს ადამიანები ლამაზია (which is formally correct, but in most cases should be replaced by ეს ლამაზი ადამიანებია).

Another good news: what colour is…? is said რა ფერია? or რა ფერის არის?

I’ve posted an ad on the Georgian forum inviting to participate in our discussions. I hope very much that there will be some volunteers to help us in studying their mother tongue. :)

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2007-01-23, 13:46

Thanks a lot for explaining that, RCA.

That would be great. I am still working on Georgian; I just haven't been posting on here because it is so time-consuming to copy everything on to the computer. :D

Cuncik

Postby Cuncik » 2007-01-23, 16:02

RCA wrote:I’ve posted an ad on the Georgian forum inviting to participate in our discussions. I hope very much that there will be some volunteers to help us in studying their mother tongue. :)

Hi guys! I am native Georgian speaker and I guess that I can help you to make your best :)
I am really surprised, that you are so interested in learning of Georgian language which is really hard.
So if you have any questions you are welcome. I’ll try to help you.

გისურვებთ წარმატებებს!!!

RCA

Postby RCA » 2007-01-23, 17:07

Oh, welcome! :wave: At last!!! :bounce: There is nothing to be surprised about, Georgian is a fantastic language (no exaggeration) – yes, it’s difficult, but this makes it just more interesting. It’s a real challenge, at least for me. It’s my 8-th language, I know quite a little of it for the time being, but I guess I can affirm that it is the most unusual language that I ever studied. We haven't discussed the Georgian verbs yet, so I'm expecting for stirring times ahead and I'm not planning to give in. :D

P.S. You wish us to make headway?

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-01-23, 20:28

sorry for the confusion. indeed it's probably best to trust the native speaker with these kinds of questions (though this is what most of the books i have looked at say, to varying degrees. «Грузинский язык для всех» by Цибахашвили states it more explicitly, saying:

(from p 163, under the heading «Согласование определения с определяемым»)

Если же определение употреблено без определяемого слова, которое мыслится во множеством числе, то тогда определение может иметь форму множественного числа: პატარები, თეთრები, ჩემები, ესენი, ახლები. Эта форма часто входит в именное сказуемое: ბავშვი პატარა იყო – ребенок был маленький, ბავშვები პატარები იყვნენ – дети были маленькие.

Looking on google I also got a few hits for the string "ლამაზები არიან", including this gem:

აქ მოტოციკლეტები უფრო ლამაზები არიან , ვიდრე გოგონას ერთი მხარე... რომელიც არ ჩანს

I also found the "other forum" where RCA says

Дело в том, что один товарищ из Канады, более продвинутый в плане грузинского языка, чем я...

RCA, you don't know how sadly mistaken you are ;) Clearly your Georgian is in a much better state than mine)

so welcome to our new georgian member, კეთილი იყოს შენი მობრძანება ჩვენს ფორუმზე, hope you will stick around and help us with these troubling questions.

Cuncik

Postby Cuncik » 2007-01-23, 22:46

I am not linguist... but I hear what is correct and what is wrong :)

Cuncik

Postby Cuncik » 2007-01-23, 23:01

აქ მოტოციკლეტები უფრო ლამაზები არიან it`s correct

but
აქ ლამაზი მოტოციკლეტებია

it`s also ok!

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-01-24, 2:19

Just stopping in to say welcome to Cuncik. :D I hope you'll stick around as well. ;-) eeeeven though I'm not studying Georgian anymore... :oops:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

RCA

Postby RCA » 2007-01-24, 15:46

Cuncik, I have a question for you. My self-study book says that he/she is catching them is მათ იჭერ ის in Georgian and I’m asking myself if there is a typo and the verb should read იჭერ, or maybe it’s Ok with what it says and it’s me who just doesn’t understand some important things… What’s your verdict?
zhiguli wrote:RCA, you don't know how sadly mistaken you are :wink: Clearly your Georgian is in a much better state than mine)
That’s funny… and rather cruel of you… :D :D :D
Last edited by RCA on 2007-01-25, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Cuncik

Postby Cuncik » 2007-01-24, 17:51

You know, verb is most difficult part of Georgian grammar. And verb was not discussed yet.

მათ იჭერს ის but he/she is catching them
თქვენ იჭერთ მათ you are caching them
ჩვენ გვიჭერს ის he/she is catching us

I guess what was your problem it`s in structure of the sentence. მათ (them) is the first in this sentence.

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2007-01-24, 22:13

Thank you very much to the native speaker who has joined us. Yes, we will need to discuss the Georgian verb very soon. I have written a little text about myself below. I would be very grateful if you could correct, and feel free to reply in simple Georgian! Sorry the text is a bit dumb, it's a really difficult language to learn.

გამარჯობა! მე მქვია ზორბა. ვარ 24 წლის, ირლანდიელი. ვცხოვრობ ინგლისში, ქალაქ ოქსფორდში. მე ვსწასლობ რუსი ენას აქ, და ახლა ქართულ ენას. მე მიყვარს ლუდი, ღვინო, კომპუტერი, მუსიკა.

მე მყავს და და ძმა. ჩემი და ცხოვრობს ლონდონში, მაგრამ ძმა ცხოცრობს შეფილდში. (how do I say 'in the North of England'?) მას ჰყავს ცოლი და სამი ბოცვერები (ბოცვრები?). ორი ბოცვერები არიან შავები, მაგრად ერთი ბოცვერი ნაცრისფერია.

შენ სად ცხოვრობ? თბილისში? ძმა და და გყავს? რა შენ გიყვარს? (should read 'What do you like'?)

Cuncik

Postby Cuncik » 2007-01-25, 0:22

Good job! It was couple of mistakes but I made it correct… you can see it. You can ask any time, if you have any questions. By the way, I know russian as well.

გამარჯობა! მე მქვია ზორბა. ვარ 24 წლის, ირლანდიელი. ვცხოვრობ ინგლისში, ქალაქ ოქსფორდში. აქ მე ვსწავლობ რუსულ ენას და ახლა ასევე (also)ვსწასლობ ქართულს. მე მიყვარს ლუდი, ღვინო, კომპიუტერი და მუსიკა.

მე მყავს და და ძმა. ჩემი და ცხოვრობს ლონდონში, ძმა კი ცხოცრობს შეფილდში,ინგლისის ჩრდილოეთ ნაწილში. მას ჰყავს ცოლი და სამი შვილი. ორი ბავშვი შავგრემანია (dark-haired), მაგრად ერთი ბავშვი ქერაა (fair-haired).

შენ სად ცხოვრობ? თბილისში? ძმა და და გყავს? შენ რა გიყვარს?

Cuncik

Postby Cuncik » 2007-01-25, 0:50

So let`s try to translate this shot text:

გამარჯობა ზორბა! მე მქვია მარი. ვარ ქართველი, მაგრამ ვცხოვრობ რუსეთში, ქალაქ მოსკოვში. მყავს ერთი ქალიშილი. ის ცხრა წლისაა. მას ჰქვია ნეა. ნეას უყვარს ცეკვა და სიმღერა. ის ძალიან ლამაზი და ჭკვიანი გოგოა.

RCA

Postby RCA » 2007-01-25, 17:02

Cuncik wrote:You know, verb is most difficult part of Georgian grammar... I guess what was your problem it`s in structure of the sentence. მათ (them) is the first in this sentence.

Thanks, now I see… I guess… :) But why is then they hear him/her/it said მათ ესმი ის? Different types of verb? Or different main persons (I mean subject/object)? Ok, maybe I shouldn’t hurry up with all this and there is an exhaustive answer expecting me in the coming chapters of my book. Its structure is rather interesting: you read a lot of examples first with scarce theoretical explanation (so you immediately have a lot of questions), in such a way you’re getting used to the Georgian language medium, and only after that you gradually get to know more theoretical things about what you are already superficially acquainted with (at least, I hope so :D).
Zorba wrote:I have written a little text about myself below... Sorry the text is a bit dumb, it's a really difficult language to learn.

Wow, Zorba, that was really impressive, only a couple of mistakes! Ok, now it’s my turn to write dumb texts. :D

გაგიმარჯოს! ჩემი სახელია ვოლოდიმირი, მაგრამ ფორუმზე მე RCA მქვია. მე ხარკივში (ხარკოვში???) ვცხოვრობ, ეს ქალაქი უკრაინას აღმოსავლეთ (აღმოსავლეთი?) ნაწილშია. კვლევით (კვლევითი?) ინსტიტუტში ვმუშაობ და მე მიყვარს ძალიან ჩემი საქმე. მე მიყვარს საქართველო იმიტომ, რომ ძალიან ლამაზი ქვეყანაა: საქართველოს მთები, ტყეები, ტბები და შავი ზღვის ნაპირი ძალიან ლამაზია (?). საქართველოში ბევრი ძველი ქალაქია. მასში (მათში? – I mean ქალაქებში) ბევრი ძველი და ლამაზი სახელებია. ქართულიც ძველია. მე მიყვარს ის იმიტომ, რომ ის (or maybe I can omit this pronoun? are the subjects the same?) ძნელია, მაგრამ საინტერესო. მარი (vocative?), ახლა თქვენ მოსკოვში ცხოვრობთ, მაგრამ მე მგონია, რომ თქვენი მკვიდრი ქალაქი არ არის მოსკოვი. სწორი? თუ ეს სწორია, თქვენი მკვიდრი ქალაქი რა ჰქვია და რომელ საქართველოს ნაწილშია? რომელ საქართველოს ნაწილი თქვენი საყვარელია?
Cuncik wrote:So let`s try to translate this shot text: გამარჯობა ზორბა!..

Well, I wasn't asked, but my translation is here. :)

Cuncik

Postby Cuncik » 2007-01-25, 19:47

Yes, exactly different main persons (subject/object) in first example: მათ (object) იჭერს ის (subject), in second case: მათ (subject) ესმით ის (object)

Thank you for so good text. May be you will have some questions about my corrections.

გაგიმარჯოს! ჩემი სახელია ვლადიმერი, მაგრამ ფორუმზე მე RCA მქვია. მე ხარკოვში ვცხოვრობ, ეს ქალაქი უკრაინის აღმოსავლეთ ნაწილშია. მე კვლევით ინსტიტუტში ვმუშაობ და ძალიან მიყვარს ჩემი საქმე.მე მიყვარს საქართველო იმიტომ, რომ ის ძალიან ლამაზი ქვეყანაა: საქართველოს მთები, ტყეები, ტბები და შავი ზღვის სანაპირო* ძალიან ლამაზია. საქართველოში ბევრი ძველი ქალაქია. ქალაქებში ბევრი ძველი და ლამაზი სახლია. ქართული ენაც ძველია. მე მიყვარს ქართულიიმიტომ, რომ ის ძნელია, მაგრამ საინტერესო. მარი, ახლა თქვენ მოსკოვში ცხოვრობთ, მაგრამ მე ვფიქრობ , რომ თქვენი მკვიდრი** ქალაქი არ არის მოსკოვი. სწორი ვარ? თუ სწორი ვარ,რა ჰქვია თქვენს მკვიდრ ქალაქს და საქართველოს რომელ კუთხეშია*** ის? რომელია თქვენი საყვარელი კუთხე საქართველოში?
(but better is to say this way საქართველოს რომელი კუთხეგიყვართ ყველაზე უფრო?)

* I use russian translation to make it more clear ნაპირი – берег, სანაპირო - побережье
** მკვიდრი - is ok, but not so useful in common Georgian, we say “ საიდან ხარ წარმოშვებით (originally)?” or simply: “სადაური ხარ?” (Where are you from)
*** კუთხე - means corner, but in this case, the part of Georgia. We use this word just for the parts of Georgia, not for the other countries

RCA – your translation was perfect!

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2007-01-26, 1:49

გამარჯობა!

I am so pleased that Mari/Cuncik has decided to join us. :good4u: Thank you so much, it's very exciting that we have a native speaker!

Here is my translation of the text:
Hello Zorba! My name is Mari. I am Georgian, but I live in Russia, in the city of Moscow. I have one child . She is nine. She is called Nea. Nea likes dancing and singing. She is a very beautiful and clever girl.

I learnt a few new words from this, like ცეკვა and სიმღერა.

What is 'ქალიშილი' - is it 'child' and if so, is it different to 'შვილი'?

In my text, I wanted to say that my brother has a wife and three rabbits, not children! :lol: My dictionary gives 'ბოცვერი' for 'rabbit'. So to say 'he has three rabbits' = მას ჰყავს სამი ბოცვერი? or ბოცვრები? or მას აქვს სამი ბოცვერი? That's why I put the picture of the rabbits at the bottom!!! ძმის და მის ცოლს არ ჰყავთ ბავშვები.

I understood most of RCA's text with a dictionary. Again, lots of new words. I wasn't sure about "სანაპირო"? and when you were talking about Moscow, you use the word "მკვიდრი" - what does that mean? I think I got a bit lost there.

მე მგონი, 'ნეა' ლამაზი სახელია. მე მიყვარს მოსკოვი, მაგრამ ის მეთად (слишком) დიდი და მეთად სიცივეა. ჩემი ქალაქი, ოქსფორდი, ძველი ქალაქია და სავსებით პათარაა. ინგგლისში არის ბევრი წვიმა. აქ არის ლამაზი ტყები. მაგრამ ზღვა მეთად საცავე (чтобы там купаться). მე მიყვარს შავა ზღვა, იმითომ რამ (я там купался, когда я был в Сочи).

Cuncik

Postby Cuncik » 2007-01-26, 3:02

What is 'ქალიშილი' - is it 'child' and if so, is it different to 'შვილი'?

შვილი - child '
ქალიშილი - daughter
ვაჟიშვილი – son

Oh, rabbits )))))) Sorry )) I’m so stupid :lol: :lol: But you put your brother’s wife and his rabbits in one sentence like his family members and I thought that it was mistake :D

მას ჰყავს სამი ბოცვერი -is right , When you use the numeral, it doesn’t need noun in plural.
ძმას და მის ცოლს არ ჰყავთ ბავშვები.
მკვიდრი means aboriginal
სანაპირო means coast

ვფიქრობ*, 'ნეა' ლამაზი სახელია. მე მიყვარს მოსკოვი, მაგრამ ის ზედმეტად დიდია და ზედმეტად სიცი. ჩემი ქალაქი, ოქსფორდი, ძველი ქალაქია და სავსებით პატარაა. ინგლისში ხშირად წვიმს. აქ არის ლამაზი ტყეები. მაგრამ ზღვა ზედმეტად ცივია საბანაოდ. მე მიყვარს შავი ზღვა, იმითომ რომ მე იქ ვბანაობდი, როდესაც ვიყავი სოჭში.

ვფიქრობ* - I think… we use მგონი when we are not sure.

RCA

Postby RCA » 2007-01-26, 15:30

Cuncik wrote:Yes, exactly different main persons (subject/object) in first example: მათ (object) იჭერს ის (subject), in second case: მათ (subject) ესმით ის (object)
Now everything is clear. :thanks:
Cuncik wrote:May be you will have some questions about my corrections.

Thanks a lot for your kind attention to my text. Yes, I do have some questions. რატომ არის სიტყვის ‘უკრაინა’ ნატესაობითი ბრუნვა ‘უკრაინის’? I thought proper names preserve their endings, even if they are ა or ე. I even thought that I should have had written შავი ზღვს instead of შავი ზღვს. Or maybe it wasn't the genitive case (ნაწილოი must be in the dative case with -ში and this influences somehow the attribute words)?

As to the სანაპირო (побережье), of course it sounds much better (at least in Russian), I just didn’t know that word in Georgian.
Cuncik wrote:** მკვიდრი - is ok, but not so useful in common Georgian, we say “ საიდან ხარ წარმოშვებით (originally)?” or simply: “სადაური ხარ?” (Where are you from)

Then how should I say: მე არ ვფიქრობ, რომ თქვენ ... (from Moscow) ხართ წარმოშვებით?
Cuncik wrote:...ბევრი ძველი და ლამაზი სახლია... რა ჰქვია თქვენს მკვიდრ ქალაქს...

Stupid mistakes :oops:
Cuncik wrote:*** კუთხე - means corner, but in this case, the part of Georgia. We use this word just for the parts of Georgia, not for the other countries

I should have remembered that! Because one of the sections of my book was titled “Края Грузии – საქართველოს კუთხეები”.
Cuncik wrote:...ყველაზე უფრო...

most of all???

Well, after your corrections the text looks so readable and easy… :wink:
Zorba wrote:მე მიყვარს შავა ზღვა, იმითომ რამ (я там купался, когда я был в Сочи)... მე იქ ვბანაობდი, როდესაც ვიყავი სოჭში.

You should have moved a bit to the south: გაგრა, ბიჭვინთა (Pitsunda), New Aphon (ანაკოფია?), რიწის ტბა აფხაზეთში უთუოდ (? - absolutely) მშვენიერია. Or even farther in that direction. Some friends of mine have been to აჭარა - very beautiful places.
Zorba wrote:I am so pleased that Mari/Cuncik has decided to join us. :good4u: Thank you so much, it's very exciting that we have a native speaker!

I completely subscribe to that!

I have some more questions for you, Cuncik. These are the phrases from my book:

როგორ ხარ?
როგორ ხართ? (Вы)

but

როგორ ხართ? (вы)
როგორ არის?

What’s the difference between როგორ and როგორ?

Some other phrases:

არა, სტუდენტი არ ვარ

and

არა, კმაყოფილი არ ვარ

Why in the first phrase არ is used, while in the second - არ.

Another phrase:

არა, შინ არაა

Why არაა? Because არ + ა resembles the conjunction არა? To avoid confusion? Or it’s something like პეტრეწ მოკრივე and პეტრე მოკრივეწაა?

Return to “Georgian (ქართული)”