vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-04, 7:21

Same.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-11-15, 11:11

Broadly transcribing, how would you pronounce the surname Bornkessel-Schlesewsky in English?
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-11-15, 16:15

Here's my pronunciation, having never heard the name before: /ˈbɔɹnˌkɛsəl ʃləˈsɛvski/
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2018-01-03, 13:48

YASSS :mrgreen:

Yes, that's the best’: Short front vowel lowering in English today: Young people across the anglophone world are changing their pronunciation of vowels according to a change which started in North America.
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... C996E77367
:wink:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-02, 6:11

md0 wrote:Broadly transcribing, how would you pronounce the surname Bornkessel-Schlesewsky in English?

I would guess [ˈbɔɹnkɛsɫ̩ ʃləˈzʉski] if I was talking to most native speakers of English here and/or if I had reason to believe he was actually American. Otherwise, I'd try to pronounce his name like in German. :P

alisha

Postby alisha » 2018-04-05, 8:20

Rom wrote:I decided to start the "The How do you Pronounce X Thread" :D

How do you pronounce these words: hull, multi, golf, cult, difficult, insult, milk, silk, and vanella?

Here's how I pronounce them (if I transcribed them correctly at least :P ) :
hull [hV5]
multi [m5lti]
golf [gA5lf]

cult [kA5lt]
difficult [dIfIko5t]
insult [InsV5t]

milk [mE5k]
silk [sI5k]
vanella [vVnE5@]

I just noticed that I pronounce "cult" and "difficult" with different vowels, and vanilla differently then some people.

Hi,
Why did you put 5 in the middle of the word. Is that the way you pronounce them.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-05, 16:02

Rom is using X-SAMPA in their transcriptions. In this system [5] represents a velarised alveolar lateral approximant or "dark l" (IPA [ɫ]).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-11-21, 8:09

Broadly transcribing, how would you pronounce the Israeli name Nufar Sukenik in English? I'm particularly unsure about where the stress is in both parts.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-11-21, 15:33

md0 wrote:Broadly transcribing, how would you pronounce the Israeli name Nufar Sukenik in English? I'm particularly unsure about where the stress is in both parts.

I think most English-speakers would be unsure as well. They tend to default to penultimate stress with foreign names, so I think you'd hear Núfar Sukénik.

I would give the given name final stress (since that's the default for Hebrew nouns and this looks like a name derived from one) and the family name initial stress (since it looks Slavic and that's a common pattern for Slavic surnames ending in -nik).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2018-11-27, 11:41

I pronounced it /nuˈfɑr suˈkɛnɪk/ in my head since the first name sounds Hebrew but the surname doesn't.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-09, 7:30

I usually have no idea how to pronounce foreign names in English. :lol:

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-10-09, 7:47

This could be a topic in itself, but since I mostly post in this thread to ask about the pronunciation of non-English names in English, instead of going to the origin language's subforum. I am strongly on the side of adapting foreign names in the receiving language's phonological and morphological system. Recently I've seen a few people "on my political side", especially in the Anglosphere, going against this.

Now that I moved abroad, I tell everyone I meet that I will accept a wide range of pronunciations for my name (as long as I can understand they referring to me), so they shouldn't worry. I was surprised they find it so hard though, because it's CV.CV.CCVC (Greek syllable structure) or CVC.VC.CVC (English syllable structure). It's not the easiest name, but I didn't expect it to be that hard either :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-14, 5:36

Wait, English has CVC.VC? :hmm:

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-10-14, 5:39

vijayjohn wrote:Wait, English has CVC.VC? :hmm:

That's how I hear English speakers segmenting my name, a bias for closed syllables :hmm:
I mean, it's necessary to get the [ε]'s in the first two syllables of Demetris, right?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-10-14, 6:12

md0 wrote:

That's how I hear English speakers segmenting my name, a bias for closed syllables :hmm:
I mean, it's necessary to get the [ε]'s in the first two syllables of Demetris, right?

The first Anglicized pronunciation that comes to mind for "Demetris" is /dəˈmiː.tɹɪs/. Related English names (Demetrius, Demetria, Demeter) are pronounced that way.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-10-14, 7:14

Dormouse559 wrote:
md0 wrote:

The first Anglicized pronunciation that comes to mind for "Demetris" is /dəˈmiː.tɹɪs/. Related English names (Demetrius, Demetria, Demeter) are pronounced that way.

I often get /dəˈmεtɹɪs/ and /dεˈmεtɹɪs/ (which is the one that has to has closed syllables, no?), because of spelling pronunciation. I will pay attention and see if anyone ever calls me Demetris with a long i actually, because it feels very rare.

Now, disclaimer, I'm mostly around other ESL speakers. I don't remember what was the last time I had to routinely talk with a native English speaker. It may be more than one year ago.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-10-14, 9:29

This guy's first name definitely is pronounced with an /i:/ by Anglo commentators. There might be videos of him on YouTube, if you want to listen to it.
Please correct my mistakes!

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-06, 17:57

I'm using a snuff now made by the Samuel Gawith Company. How would one pronounce Gawith? I think my pronunciation is close :)

Isn't it a bit like the idiomatic go with? :hmm:

Also Gawith Hoggarth is a related company, but now the two have split. That's why I ask

Cheers
Last edited by Gormur on 2020-03-07, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-03-06, 18:07

Gormur wrote:I'm using a snuff now made by the Samuel Gawith Company. How would one pronounce Gawith? I think my pronunciation is close :)

I would expect /ˈgæːwɪθ/.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-06, 18:30

linguoboy wrote:
Gormur wrote:I'm using a snuff now made by the Samuel Gawith Company. How would one pronounce Gawith? I think my pronunciation is close :)

I would expect /ˈgæːwɪθ/.

Me too.

Return to “English”