The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Moderator:JackFrost

Gormur
Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-06, 18:33

Damn even after a linguistics course i'm terrible with IPA. Does the : lengthen the vowel or how does that work? :oops: Sorry if that sounds dumb. I've looked at wikipedia and the thing confuses me even more :)

Thanks again :D
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-06, 18:48

Gormur wrote:Does the : lengthen the vowel or how does that work?

It does! 👍

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-03-06, 19:06

Naava wrote:
Gormur wrote:Does the : lengthen the vowel or how does that work?

It does! 👍

And technically, it's this thing ː (MODIFIER LETTER TRIANGULAR COLON), but the plain colon is easier to type.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-06, 19:36

So, it's like gay with? I thought it was more like go with :para: :hmm:

Admittedly, I have trouble with last names. I don't know why. I feel like a retard [emulating a Scottish dialect here] :P
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-06, 19:54

Gormur wrote:So, it's like gay with? I thought it was more like go with :para: :hmm:

No, /æ/ is the same as Norwegian Æ or the vowel in cat and bat.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-06, 20:14

But linguoboy said æ:

I have no idea what that would be :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-03-06, 20:18

Gormur wrote:But linguoboy said æ:

I have no idea what that would be :)

It's the sound in cat, but longer. (As an English-speaker, you're probably not aware of the length of vowels independent of their quality, but it's very salient to speakers of other languages.)

Here's a video which teaches the contrast between long and short vowels of the same quality in Finnish, a language where they are phonemically distinct. The contrast between [æ] and [æ:] is demonstrated at the 0:45 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvC7TI6tgKo
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-06, 21:14

It seems Norwegian has long and short vowels, too. I don't speak Norwegian myself but this page says that er and her are pronounced with a long /æː/, whereas terminal has a short /æ/.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-07, 12:05

Naava wrote:It seems Norwegian has long and short vowels, too. I don't speak Norwegian myself but this page says that er and her are pronounced with a long /æː/, whereas terminal has a short /æ/.

Ah okay. :partyhat:

I don't use that vowel because mine's a Southwestern dialect, which some don't. If I understand you right it's like the Swedish här

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-16, 19:57

Does anyone happen to know the RP pronunciation of latter?

I ask because I seem to be hearing it two different ways and am trying to figure out why :hmm:

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-16, 22:33

Gormur wrote:Does anyone happen to know the RP pronunciation of latter?

Here you go.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-18, 12:22

Naava wrote:

Here you go.

Cheers for the link :)

I was curious about another word as well, so I looked up Cypriot. I can't believe they're saying it with an s. I say it with a k :para: :hmm:

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-18, 12:46

Gormur wrote:
Naava wrote:

Here you go.

Cheers for the link :)

Np!

I was curious about another word as well, so I looked up Cypriot. I can't believe they're saying it with an s. I say it with a k :para: :hmm:

It follows the same rule as cycle, cyst, and cyan, which are also pronounced with an S rather than as kycle, kyst, and kyan. The only exception that I can think of is Celt (and Celtic), which can be pronounced with either S or K.

FYI: Cyprus is Kypros in Finnish, with a K. :)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-18, 14:07

Yeah like Norwegian. :) I won't change the way I say it in English though. That just looks and sounds terrible to me :lol:

Other people say it with k, but I suppose you don't find every version in a dictionary

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-18, 14:19

Of course you're free to pronounce words as you wish. Language belongs to everyone, no one's going to give you a fine or punish you or anything. :) But bear in mind that just like you think Cypriot with an S sounds odd, others might think your way of pronouncing it with a K sounds odd. If it doesn't bother you, I don't really see any reason why you absolutely should stop saying "Kypriot".

Speaking of which, I'm still not okay with how Macedonia is pronounced.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-18, 14:35

It seems to follow English pronunciation rules though, while Cypriot with s really is awkward somehow. I bet if somebody had never heard it pronounced they wouldn't know. At least to me it actually looks weird :)

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-03-18, 14:44

Hmm, I wonder why! Can you (or anyone else) come up with any words that would have a (-)cy(-) sequence that is pronounced with a K? Is it only this word that sounds odd to you? How would you pronounce Cyprus?

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-18, 16:13

Cyprus has s

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-03-19, 14:02

Naava wrote:It follows the same rule as cycle, cyst, and cyan, which are also pronounced with an S rather than as kycle, kyst, and kyan. The only exception that I can think of is Celt (and Celtic), which can be pronounced with either S or K.

Celtic is interesting because, although the adjective can be pronounced either way, only /s/ is acceptable in the proper name Celtics (a Boston-based NBA franchise).

I've never met any speaker of English, native or otherwise, with a /k/ in Cyprus or Cypriot. Having it in one form but not the other seems bizarre to say the least.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-19, 14:17

I don't know what to tell you. I heard it from someone talking when I was younger and that's in my memory :)

Return to “English”