Difference in the pronunciation of "toe" and "

Moderator: JackFrost

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2006-01-26, 2:59

I thought you mustn't be a native, asking this question. :P But, living in Scotland, I suppose you are native and simply have a dialect which happens to distinguish the two words by sound :wink: (?)

I've never noticed anyone pronouncing them differently. I'd advise non-natives that they're pronounced exactly the same, and that only context can tell you which meaning is being used.

FullMountie

Postby FullMountie » 2006-01-26, 4:44

Yeah... for me they're the same too.
Down in Newfoundland, we can hardly sleep for wondering when St. Pierre and Miquelon are going to invade.
- John Crosbie

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2006-01-26, 6:07

Mike Box wrote:Do you pronounce "toe" and "tow" any differently? I pronounce "toe" as /to:/ and "tow" as /toU/, so they're not homonyms for me.

Please stop taking on other personas, Space Flight. Space Flight has done this before on several different sites, including this one (look where he apologized here). Space Flight's classic pattern is registering or guest posting (when possible) under a new name and then often claiming to be someone from a place like Scotland or Wales (sometimes Australia or places in the US) with phonemic distinctions which have been lost in most dialects.

When accused of making up fake personas Space Flight will often deny it initially and then eventually give in and apologize anew. I've seen this entirely predictable cycle happen too many times on this site, a language site I help administer, zompist, and others. When he first apologized here I thought he would stop but he's consistently caused problems on other sites as well as the one I administer.

It's getting old.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2006-01-26, 6:13

:lol:

When I read your post Kirk, your slogan read on it 'Kirk Strikes Back' :lol:

(btw I do agree with you that this whole situation is 'old', tino tawhito!)
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2006-01-26, 6:21

riki wrote::lol:

When I read your post Kirk, your slogan read on it 'Kirk Strikes Back' :lol:

Haha--how appropriate!

riki wrote:(btw I do agree with you that this whole situation is 'old', tino tawhito!)

Yeah I'm sick of seeing this stuff over and over again. The writing style and topics of SpaceFlight's are so obvious.

kibo

Postby kibo » 2006-01-26, 16:01

:idea: I propose making one big thread called "how do you pronounce X" in the English forum and locking all further threads with this topic (especially those put in the wrong forum). It's better than to wait for this guy to run out of words.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2006-01-26, 18:42

Bugi wrote::idea: I propose making one big thread called "how do you pronounce X" in the English forum and locking all further threads with this topic (especially those put in the wrong forum). It's better than to wait for this guy to run out of words.

It'd definitely be worth a shot. Thanks, Bugi :)

Hanabi

Postby Hanabi » 2006-01-26, 20:30

Just one question, would you ever seriously consider blocking his IP address?

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2006-01-26, 21:27

Hanabi wrote:Just one question, would you ever seriously consider blocking his IP address?

Those can change, sometimes every time someone signs on.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2006-01-27, 1:36

Do I see signs of birds being seized in the language forum? ;)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Stan

Postby Stan » 2006-01-27, 1:47

Kirk wrote:
Mike Box wrote:Do you pronounce "toe" and "tow" any differently? I pronounce "toe" as /to:/ and "tow" as /toU/, so they're not homonyms for me.

Please stop taking on other personas, Space Flight. Space Flight has done this before on several different sites, including this one (look where he apologized here). Space Flight's classic pattern is registering or guest posting (when possible) under a new name and then often claiming to be someone from a place like Scotland or Wales (sometimes Australia or places in the US) with phonemic distinctions which have been lost in most dialects.

When accused of making up fake personas Space Flight will often deny it initially and then eventually give in and apologize anew. I've seen this entirely predictable cycle happen too many times on this site, a language site I help administer, zompist, and others. When he first apologized here I thought he would stop but he's consistently caused problems on other sites as well as the one I administer.

It's getting old.

Is "Jose Rwut" another of his personas? Rwut sounds definitely made up
if I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday
assassinated on Saturday
buried on Sunday

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2006-01-27, 1:53

Stan wrote:
Kirk wrote:

It's getting old.

Is "Jose Rwut" another of his personas?

Not sure--very well could be. The phonemic-distinction-pairs thing is kind of suspicious especially since Space Flight has done those exact same pairs with other personas before (like one who claimed to pronounce "rode" and "road" differently), so it could very well be true. But, unless we see more of him, it's hard to tell--something for the mods to work on.

If Jose Rwut is the work of Space Flight (which seems increasingly likely now that I've seen his other posts), it's not surprising he moved on to another persona so quickly after "Mike Bonx" was exposed. So lame...

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2006-01-27, 2:01

Psi-Lord wrote:Do I see signs of birds being seized in the language forum? ;)

Unfortunately it would appear so :roll:

Egein

Postby Egein » 2006-01-27, 2:31

But WHY?
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2006-01-27, 2:35

:?
/me is confused

kibo

Postby kibo » 2006-01-27, 2:55

Whether or not he's the same person, it's completely moronic to create so many threads with the same subject.

I sometimes think it's better to limit the creating of new topics to 1 topic per day for each subforum, so people would be more cautious what kind of topics they create.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2006-01-27, 4:19

Kirk wrote:
Bugi wrote::idea: I propose making one big thread called "how do you pronounce X" in the English forum and locking all further threads with this topic (especially those put in the wrong forum). It's better than to wait for this guy to run out of words.

It'd definitely be worth a shot. Thanks, Bugi :)

If you wish, go ahead Bugi and Kirk!
Neferuj paħujkij!

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2006-01-27, 4:48

Mike Bonx: If you're really from Scotland, then why am I tracting your IP to NYC?

Jose Rwut's and Mike Bonx's IP traces to NYC as well. So I bet they're not from Mexico and Southwestern USA.

You have a chance to fess up or, as my duty as the moderator here, I'll have report your multi-profiles to the admin, Car.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2006-01-27, 5:05

JackFrost wrote:Mike Bonx: If you're really from Scotland, then why am I tracting your IP to NYC?

Jose Rwut's and Mike Bonx's IP traces to NYC as well. So I bet they're not from Mexico and Southwestern USA.

You have a chance to fess up or, as my duty as the moderator here, I'll have report your multi-profiles to the admin, Car.

Maybe he'll give an "apology" like last time when he promised to stop doing this. :roll:

Egein wrote:But WHY?

Those of us with experience with him have given up trying to explain why someone would waste their time doing this. We just know how to recognize his writing/topics.

reflexsilver86

Postby reflexsilver86 » 2006-01-28, 21:29

LOL Thank you Kirk. I've figured for a while he was going to be a problem. It's good to see that my instincts haven't yet failed me. haha

There really is no explanation on why most people do half the things they do, especially on this forum. Imagine the field day a psychologist would have analyzing some of the things that go on here. :lol:
Français, Português, Italiano, Nederlands, Español

Future:
Íslenska, Deutsch

Un esprit sain dans un corps sain.

Return to “English”