Massachusetts

Moderator: JackFrost

Stan

Massachusetts

Postby Stan » 2005-12-17, 6:45

I pronounce this as:

/mæsətusɪts/

but someone online said it is (if they think all state names are pronounced as they are spelled they are wrong e.g. Connecticut and Arkansas):

/mæsətʃusɪts/

If I'm wrong, just tell me.

Stan

Postby Stan » 2005-12-17, 22:45

anyone?

Kirk

Re: Massachusetts

Postby Kirk » 2005-12-17, 22:51

Stan wrote:I pronounce this as:

/mæsətusɪts/

but someone online said it is (if they think all state names are pronounced as they are spelled they are wrong e.g. Connecticut and Arkansas):

/mæsətʃusɪts/

I've never heard of your pronunciation. I've only ever heard /mæsətʃusɪts/, which is the pronunciation I use.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Stan

Postby Stan » 2005-12-17, 22:56

Kirk wrote:

/mæsətusɪts/

/mæsətʃusɪts/

I've never heard of your pronunciation. I've only ever heard /mæsətʃusɪts/, which is the pronunciation I use.

i'll use that pronunciation then. For some reason that's how I've been pronouncing it, I guess I was wrong. I don't live in Massachusetts you know :wink:

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-12-17, 23:27

Stan wrote:
Kirk wrote:

/mæsətusɪts/

/mæsətʃusɪts/

i'll use that pronunciation then. For some reason that's how I've been pronouncing it, I guess I was wrong. I don't live in Massachusetts you know :wink:

Hehe, I'm quite far from it as well so it doesn't exactly come up in daily conversation that often ;) It's actually one of the about 14 states in the contiguous US I've never been to (they're mostly on the East Coast). While we're on the topic, there sometimes are some pronunciation variations for names of states. For instance, if I hear someone rhyme "Oregon" with "gone" or "Don" I know they're definitely not from the West Coast, as everyone here has schwa or [ɪ] for the final vowel. I say [ˈɔɹɪgɪn], so it's a minimal pair with "origin" [ˈɔɹɪdʒɪn] for me.

Also, if someone's not "marry-merry" merged they'll pronounce "Arizona" as [æɹɪˈzoʊnə] while people here say [ɛɹɪˈzo(ʊ)nə].

"Colorado" is another one with variation. Some have /æ/ and some have /ɑ/ for what is orthographically "a" in the word. I find I use them interchangeably.

Stan

Postby Stan » 2005-12-18, 0:51

Kirk wrote:It's actually one of the about 14 states in the contiguous US I've never been to (they're mostly on the East Coast).

I haven't been to most of the U.S. I've only been to about 5 states, all near Florida, some of them just driven through, not visited. I've only been to one other country, the Bahamas.

Also, if someone's not "marry-merry" merged they'll pronounce "Arizona" as [æɹɪˈzoʊnə] while people here say [ɛɹɪˈzo(ʊ)nə].

same here, [ɛɹɪˈzo(ʊ)nə]

"Colorado" is another one with variation. Some have /æ/ and some have /ɑ/ for what is orthographically "a" in the word. I find I use them interchangeably.

I say it with /ɑ/ always

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-12-18, 1:37

Stan wrote:
Kirk wrote:It's actually one of the about 14 states in the contiguous US I've never been to (they're mostly on the East Coast).

I haven't been to most of the U.S. I've only been to about 5 states, all near Florida, some of them just driven through, not visited. I've only been to one other country, the Bahamas.

Oh, that's interesting. Florida is actually one of the states I've never been to ;) Hopefully I'll get there someday.

Stan wrote:

same here, [ɛɹɪˈzo(ʊ)nə]

Yeah, "marry-merry" merging is pretty common in Florida, I believe.

Stan wrote:

I say it with /ɑ/ always

Oh ok that's interesting.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-12-19, 20:56

Kirk wrote:if I hear someone rhyme "Oregon" with "gone" or "Don" I know they're definitely not from the West Coast, as everyone here has schwa or [ɪ] for the final vowel.

My friends from BC use the "gone"/"don" version. It's nearly universal (if not totally) in Canada, as far as I know.

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-12-19, 21:21

Gormur wrote:
Kirk wrote:if I hear someone rhyme "Oregon" with "gone" or "Don" I know they're definitely not from the West Coast, as everyone here has schwa or [ɪ] for the final vowel.

My friends from BC use the "gone"/"don" version. It's nearly universal (if not totally) in Canada, as far as I know.

Interesting!

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-12-19, 21:42

And just out of curiosity, what the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary has for some of the names mentioned (and what is probably taught to students of English as a foreign language):

Massachusetts:
(UK) ˌmæs.əˈtʃuːsɪts, -səts
(US) -sɪts

Arizona:
(UK) ˌær.ɪˈzəʊ.nə
(US) ˌer.ɪˈzoʊ-, ˌær-, -əˈ-

Colorado:
(UK) ˌkɒl.(ə)rˈɑː.dəʊ
(US) ˌkɑː.ləˈræd.oʊ, -ˈrɑː.doʊ
* stress shift in compounds

Oregon:
(UK) ˈɒr.ɪ.gən, ˈ-ə-, -gɒn
(US) ˈɔːr.ɪ.gən, -gɑːn

Connecticut:
(UK) kəˈnet.ɪ.kət
(US) -ˈnet˯-, -kɪt

Arkansas (state):
(UK) ˈɑː.kən.sɔː
(US) ˈɑːr.kən.sɑː, -sɔː

Arkansas (river):
(UK) ɑːˈkæn.zəs
(US) ɑːrˈkæn.zəs

I used to love spending some time reading the section on pronunciation of towns, cities and regions in my English dictionaries, especially for names in the UK—I just would never guess some of them right if I had to.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-12-19, 22:16

Psi-Lord wrote:And just out of curiosity, what the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary has for some of the names mentioned (and what is probably taught to students of English as a foreign language):

Thanks for the entries, Psi-Lord, it was interesting to read them. This is how I pronounce the names of said states. I didn't mark secondary stress or syllable boundaries (too tedious, either that or I'm too lazy).

Massachusetts: [mæsəˈtʃɯsɪts]

Arizona: [ɛɹɪˈzo̜nə]

Colorado: [kʰɑləɹæːɾo̜] or [kʰɑləɹɑːɾo̜]

Oregon: [ˈɔrɪgɪn]

Connecticut: [kʰəˈnɛɾɪkʰɪt]

Arkansas (state): [ˈɑɹkʰɪnsɑ] or [ˈɑɹkʰn̩sɑ]

Arkansas (river): [ɑɹˈkʰænzɪs]

Psi-Lord wrote:I used to love spending some time reading the section on pronunciation of towns, cities and regions in my English dictionaries, especially for names in the UK—I just would never guess some of them right if I had to.

Yeah, the place names in the UK are fascinating--who would've ever guessed "Featherstonehaugh" was [ˈfenʃɔː] (or, [ˈfɛnʃɑ], as I'd say it)? :lol:

Stan

Postby Stan » 2005-12-19, 22:19

Kirk wrote:Yeah, the place names in the UK are fascinating--who would've ever guessed "Featherstonehaugh" was [ˈfenʃɔː] (or, [ˈfɛnʃɑ], as I'd say it)? :lol:

:shock:
if I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday
assassinated on Saturday
buried on Sunday

jonathan

Postby jonathan » 2005-12-20, 5:10

There is this major road in North Houston where I live called "Kuykendahl Road." People have always debated over its pronunciation, but the general consensus is that it is pronounced (forgive me for not knowing how to write in IPA yet) "ker-ken-dial."
Jonathan / ジョナサン / 조나단 / 乔纳森 / Giònata / Jônatas / Jonatã / Jonathas / Jonátan / โจนาธาน / Jónatan

中文的名字:天礼

CURRENTLY ATTEMPTING: English, 中文 (普通话), 日本語, tiếng Việt.

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-12-20, 5:32

jonathan wrote:There is this major road in North Houston where I live called "Kuykendahl Road." People have always debated over its pronunciation, but the general consensus is that it is pronounced (forgive me for not knowing how to write in IPA yet) "ker-ken-dial."

Hehe, that's pretty "out there!" Oh, and about the IPA thing, I don't mean to toot my own horn (I just linked it to someone yesterday) but I wrote up a tutorial on phonetic transcription on another forum if you want to check it out here. Let me know if you have any questions :)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-12-20, 17:09

Kirk wrote:
Psi-Lord wrote:And just out of curiosity, what the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary has for some of the names mentioned (and what is probably taught to students of English as a foreign language):

Thanks for the entries, Psi-Lord, it was interesting to read them. This is how I pronounce the names of said states. I didn't mark secondary stress or syllable boundaries (too tedious, either that or I'm too lazy).

Massachusetts: [mæsəˈtʃɯsɪts]

Arizona: [ɛɹɪˈzo̜nə]

Colorado: [kʰɑləɹæːɾo̜] or [kʰɑləɹɑːɾo̜]

Oregon: [ˈɔrɪgɪn]

Connecticut: [kʰəˈnɛɾɪkʰɪt]

Arkansas (state): [ˈɑɹkʰɪnsɑ] or [ˈɑɹkʰn̩sɑ]

Here's my rendition. I'm sure it's the same...

http://uploadhut.com/view.php/486693.wav

Return to “English”