bedlam = riot = chaos ????

Moderator: JackFrost

Strigo

bedlam = riot = chaos ????

Postby Strigo » 2005-12-01, 16:29

Hi,

I wanted to know the difference among these three words.
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

reflexsilver86

Postby reflexsilver86 » 2005-12-01, 18:52

Chaos doesn't just need to apply to a violent situation. It can be any state of mass disorder or confusion.

Bedlam is when there's extreme disorder and confusion. It's used similarly to chaos, and you'll find it in statements such as "It was mass bedlam" meaning it was a complete, chaotic mess. An archaic definition of bedlam actually was insane asylum.

A riot, of course, is an event which involves angry people who create some kind of upheaval.

You can more or less use bedlam and chaos interchangably but you can't use riot in the same way.
Français, Português, Italiano, Nederlands, Español

Future:
Íslenska, Deutsch

Un esprit sain dans un corps sain.

MikeL

Postby MikeL » 2005-12-01, 22:31

reflexsilver86 wrote: An archaic definition of bedlam actually was insane asylum.

The word started out as "Bethlehem" - the name of a charitable establishment in 13th century Britain that became the first asylum for the insane.

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-12-02, 4:15

MikeL wrote:
reflexsilver86 wrote: An archaic definition of bedlam actually was insane asylum.

The word started out as "Bethlehem" - the name of a charitable establishment in 13th century Britain that became the first asylum for the insane.

That's interesting! Thank you guys

Return to “English”