NFL vs Hiberno

Moderator:JackFrost

Gormur
NFL vs Hiberno

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-21, 3:18

Does anyone know some key differences between Nefoundland and Hiberno-English? I have heard that the "standard" or dominant NFL dialect (centering around St. John's) is similar to a particular dialect spoken around the southern tip of Ireland.

One thing that I've noticed is that there are many dialects within NFL itself (some people, like my mom's boss, actually sound like they're from Ireland - at least to my ears). She uses expressions too (as I've seen on Wiki recently) - such as "where are you to?", etc. There are quite a few things she says like that, and sometimes I have no idea what she is talking about. :lol:

Kirk, what is your trick to sneaking in audio recordings? I have tried to hide a recorder in my bag while I was talking to a friend (with a rather fascinating dialect), but the sound quality is horrible, haha. :P

To anyone interested, you can view and listen to local Newfoundland & Labrador news here: http://www.cbc.ca/nl/

I really don't hear a lot of speakers like my mom's boss and her family in provincial media though. I'm thinking they may be from a rural area, originally. I guess one could only be sure if they were to go to Newfoundland and investigate.....not enough info online.

Kirk

Re: NFL vs Hiberno

Postby Kirk » 2005-11-21, 3:38

Gormur wrote:Kirk, what is your trick to sneaking in audio recordings? I have tried to hide a recorder in my bag while I was talking to a friend (with a rather fascinating dialect), but the sound quality is horrible, haha. :P

Here's my explanation :)
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-21, 3:52

Kirk wrote:
Gormur wrote:Kirk, what is your trick to sneaking in audio recordings? I have tried to hide a recorder in my bag while I was talking to a friend (with a rather fascinating dialect), but the sound quality is horrible, haha. :P

Clever. :lol:

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-11-21, 4:37

Gormur wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Clever. :lol:

I thought you might like it :)
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2005-12-23, 16:06

Gormur wrote:Does anyone know some key differences between Nefoundland and Hiberno-English? I have heard that the "standard" or dominant NFL dialect (centering around St. John's) is similar to a particular dialect spoken around the southern tip of Ireland.

One thing that I've noticed is that there are many dialects within NFL itself (some people, like my mom's boss, actually sound like they're from Ireland - at least to my ears). She uses expressions too (as I've seen on Wiki recently) - such as "where are you to?", etc. There are quite a few things she says like that, and sometimes I have no idea what she is talking about. :lol:

Kirk, what is your trick to sneaking in audio recordings? I have tried to hide a recorder in my bag while I was talking to a friend (with a rather fascinating dialect), but the sound quality is horrible, haha. :P

To anyone interested, you can view and listen to local Newfoundland & Labrador news here: http://www.cbc.ca/nl/

I really don't hear a lot of speakers like my mom's boss and her family in provincial media though. I'm thinking they may be from a rural area, originally. I guess one could only be sure if they were to go to Newfoundland and investigate.....not enough info online.

Hmm, I can't hear anything Irish sounding in that news clip. It just sounds Canadian to me to be honest! :lol:
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

Return to “English”