Australian vs New Zealand English

Moderator: JackFrost

MikeL

Postby MikeL » 2005-12-17, 8:58

The same phonetic shift that turns "fish and chips" into "fush and chups" applies to the first vowel of "women", bringing it close to the sound of the singular "woman". An Australian on the other hand, would say "weemen"!

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2005-12-17, 9:37

no, they say 'wimen', unless if you're talking about the cultured broad Australian accent :roll:
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

clint

Postby clint » 2005-12-18, 3:22

I was just thinking about it last night.. Another interested NZE unique pronounciation.

New Zealand. Most people say - New Zeeland.. Americans - Noo Zealand.. Kiwi's - New Zihlund.. Not all people say it, but most especially those of NZ European decent..

Especially when we get lazy :P I've heard myself say it at times when being careless with pronounciation.

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-12-18, 3:47

clint wrote:I was just thinking about it last night.. Another interested NZE unique pronounciation.

New Zealand. Most people say - New Zeeland.. Americans - Noo Zealand.. Kiwi's - New Zihlund.. Not all people say it, but most especially those of NZ European decent..

What do you mean between "Zeeland" and "Zealand" in terms of pronunciation? I'm not sure if you're familiar with IPA but that would help because I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I assume that by "ih" you mean [ɪ] as in RP or GA "kit," right?

clint wrote:Especially when we get lazy :P I've heard myself say it at times when being careless with pronounciation.

You're not being "lazy"--it's just normal language variation :)
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Stan

Postby Stan » 2005-12-18, 4:09

Kirk wrote:
clint wrote:I was just thinking about it last night.. Another interested NZE unique pronounciation.

What do you mean between "Zeeland" and "Zealand" in terms of pronunciation? I'm not sure if you're familiar with IPA but that would help because I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I assume that by "ih" you mean [ɪ] as in RP or GA "kit," right?

clint wrote:Especially when we get lazy :P I've heard myself say it at times when being careless with pronounciation.

You're not being "lazy"--it's just normal language variation :)

Zeeland and Zealand are the same. Zeel / Zeal. Unless he's talking about pronouncing Zee and land separately, like Zee-land

MikeL

Postby MikeL » 2005-12-18, 4:17

Kirk wrote: I assume that by "ih" you mean [ɪ] as in RP or GA "kit," right?

I expect this is what is meant. There is some variation in both the length and quality of the first vowel in "Zealand". In rapid speech it is shortened and then becomes subject to the same lowering as we have talked about before in "fush and chups". In extreme examples, where the second syllable is slurred, so that the /a/ is not articulated, the /l/ may become darkened and then nasalized. This is sometimes indicated in writing as "Newzild" or "Newzuld".

I'm not sure what clint meant by distinguishing "Zeeland" from "Zealand".

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-12-18, 6:17

MikeL wrote:
Kirk wrote: I assume that by "ih" you mean [ɪ] as in RP or GA "kit," right?

I expect this is what is meant. There is some variation in both the length and quality of the first vowel in "Zealand". In rapid speech it is shortened and then becomes subject to the same lowering as we have talked about before in "fush and chups". In extreme examples, where the second syllable is slurred, so that the /a/ is not articulated, the /l/ may become darkened and then nasalized. This is sometimes indicated in writing as "Newzild" or "Newzuld".

Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for explaining :)

MikeL wrote:I'm not sure what clint meant by distinguishing "Zeeland" from "Zealand".

Yeah that's what most confused me.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

clint

Postby clint » 2005-12-18, 20:11

hi all.. ok sorry, I wasn't implying a difference between zee and zea. Can't quite remember if I'd typed Zee intentionally or accidentally. Sorry for the extra confusion LOL

:shock: :P :lol:

Stan

Postby Stan » 2005-12-18, 20:47

clint wrote:hi all.. ok sorry, I wasn't implying a difference between zee and zea. Can't quite remember if I'd typed Zee intentionally or accidentally. Sorry for the extra confusion LOL

:shock: :P :lol:

I think Clint maybe was trying to imply a difference between "new" and "noo". I pronounce these the same, but maybe people in other countries pronounce it like /nju/?

clint

Postby clint » 2005-12-18, 20:55

Stan wrote:I think Clint maybe was trying to imply a difference between "new" and "noo". I pronounce these the same, but maybe people in other countries pronounce it like /nju/?

nju/nyu yeah.. That's how we pronounce it in NZ.

And yes that was the difference I was trying to draw reference to. Thanks Stan!

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2006-01-14, 12:44

Hiya guys!

Thank's for this thread, it's been really interesting to read. I love the Aussie accent, but I've hardly ever heard the Kiwi accent. Can anybody recommend some good online NZ radios that I can listen to? I often listen to Aussie radios.

clint

radio stations

Postby clint » 2006-01-15, 10:36

Hi Patricia,

www.zmonline.co.nz - for a more european kiwi accent.
www.morefm.co.nz

www.flava.co.nz - for a more pacific island kiwi accent.
www.maifm.co.nz

have fun..

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2006-01-15, 12:15

Thanks, Clint!! :D

Return to “English”