Another Example of Canadian English?

Moderator: JackFrost

Gormur

Another Example of Canadian English?

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-08, 19:29

Reading my writer's handbook today, I see the following:

Academic writing permits some corrections. Make your corrections neatly, either by typing or by hand in black ink.

What I don't get is why the word "neatly" is in italics. And why "neatly"? Is this presriptivist English or a Canadianism? ...something else, perhaps?
How can one use an adjective in this case?

MikeL

Re: Another Example of Canadian English?

Postby MikeL » 2005-11-08, 19:43

Gormur wrote:Reading my writer's handbook today, I see the following:

Academic writing permits some corrections. Make your corrections neatly, either by typing or by hand in black ink.

What I don't get is why the word "neatly" is in italics. And why "neatly"? Is this presriptivist English or a Canadianism? ...something else, perhaps?

Not sure what you're getting at. Presumably the word is italicised for emphasis. And the usage is normal - "neatly" is an adverb modifying the verb "make". There is a syntactical difference between "make your corrections neatly" and "make your corrections neat" although the end result is the same!

Gormur

Re: Another Example of Canadian English?

Postby Gormur » 2005-11-08, 20:10

MikeL wrote:
Gormur wrote:Reading my writer's handbook today, I see the following:

Not sure what you're getting at. Presumably the word is italicised for emphasis. And the usage is normal - "neatly" is an adverb modifying the verb "make". There is a syntactical difference between "make your corrections neatly" and "make your corrections neat" although the end result is the same!

I see. Thank you for the explanation. I was a bit thrown off because I have never seen such a usage in American texts. I'm wondering if that's a coicidence or just matter of preference in certain instances (or dialects).

Return to “English”