Strigo
English expression... I don't get it

Postby Strigo » 2005-11-06, 16:52

So they came for you
They came snapping at your heels
They come snapping at your heelsBut don't break your back
If you ever say this
But don't answer that

Hi, I was listening to one of Coldplay's songs and I can't understand this expression... could you explain it to me pls?
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-11-06, 16:54

snap at sb's heels

1 If an animal is snapping at your heels, it is running behind you and trying to bite you.

2 to compete strongly with someone and have a chance of soon defeating or replacing them:
With so many younger women snapping at her heels, this year may be her last chance to win the championship.

Source: Cambridge Advanced Learner's dictionary
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2005-11-06, 17:25

Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

Return to “English”