Do people still say 'man'?

Moderator: JackFrost

amoeba

Do people still say 'man'?

Postby amoeba » 2005-10-26, 0:26

I remember ten years ago all the 'cool' people would use the word 'man' in expressions like these:

'No way, man'
'Man, you're crazy'
'Hey man, shut up!'

Nowadays I hear 'man' less and less and it seems that people are replacing it with 'guy' or 'dude'.

'No way, guy!'
'Hey dude, what's up?' (This sounds VERY Californian to my ears!)

I also notice that 'girl' is becoming outdated.
'You go, girl!' :roll:

Do you also notice these changes? Maybe they are happening in some places and not in others. If I were to hear someone use 'man' in such expressions today, I would think it was a bit outdated. What about you?

User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 2607
Joined: 2005-05-26, 19:43
Real Name: Kirk
Gender: male
Location: Los Angeles
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Do people still say 'man'?

Postby Kirk » 2005-10-26, 0:55

amoeba wrote:I remember ten years ago all the 'cool' people would use the word 'man' in expressions like these:

'No way, man'
'Man, you're crazy'
'Hey man, shut up!'

Nowadays I hear 'man' less and less and it seems that people are replacing it with 'guy' or 'dude'.


Yeah, I don't use "man" in that sense very often. It'd feel weird if I did.

amoeba wrote:'No way, guy!'


I don't use "guy" in that sense--that's an interesting usage. I haven't heard it used that way here.

amoeba wrote:'Hey dude, what's up?' (This sounds VERY Californian to my ears!)


Haha, well that makes sense--I hear it all the time here. I actually don't use "dude" as often as some others, tho. I typically greet with a simple "hey, what's up?"


amoeba wrote:I also notice that 'girl' is becoming outdated.
'You go, girl!' :roll:


Yeah that's not very common here.
Image
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

amoeba

Re: Do people still say 'man'?

Postby amoeba » 2005-10-26, 1:04

Kirk wrote:
amoeba wrote:'No way, guy!'


I don't use "guy" in that sense--that's an interesting usage. I haven't heard it used that way here.


Hm, that's interesting because it might indicate local dialects. I think in Toronto, people were looking for a male equivalent of 'girl' in expressions like 'you go, girl'. So they've come up with 'you go, guy!' (I have heard this by my age group on multiple occasions). I think it's possible that this was coined by first-generation English speakers here, who always tend to be the most creative with the language. :)

Kazimer
Posts: 120
Joined: 2004-07-09, 2:08
Real Name: Kazimer Szymanski
Gender: male
Location: N. Ridgeville
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Do people still say 'man'?

Postby Kazimer » 2005-10-26, 1:17

amoeba wrote:I remember ten years ago all the 'cool' people would use the word 'man' in expressions like these:

'No way, man'
'Man, you're crazy'
'Hey man, shut up!'

Nowadays I hear 'man' less and less and it seems that people are replacing it with 'guy' or 'dude'.

'No way, guy!'
'Hey dude, what's up?' (This sounds VERY Californian to my ears!)

I also notice that 'girl' is becoming outdated.
'You go, girl!' :roll:

Do you also notice these changes? Maybe they are happening in some places and not in others. If I were to hear someone use 'man' in such expressions today, I would think it was a bit outdated. What about you?


I hear my little brother say a lot of things with the word dude attached for no reason, but no one in my age group really says things with man, dude, or girl. Some of these words have just been overused for a long time that it's no wonder when some start to "die." Also, you have to remember slang changes almost daily so a specific word may be more valid one day than the next. :wink:

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 7629
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Re: Do people still say 'man'?

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-26, 1:18

amoeba wrote:I remember ten years ago all the 'cool' people would use the word 'man' in expressions like these:

'No way, man'
'Man, you're crazy'
'Hey man, shut up!'


I say all of the above. My friends do too.

Nowadays I hear 'man' less and less and it seems that people are replacing it with 'guy' or 'dude'.

'No way, guy!'


Sounds like TO slang. :wink:

'Hey dude, what's up?' (This sounds VERY Californian to my ears!)


I've never said this, but my dad and his friends use it still.

I also notice that 'girl' is becoming outdated.
'You go, girl!' :roll:


Sounds like sth a black girl would say on Jerry Springer.

Do you also notice these changes? Maybe they are happening in some places and not in others. If I were to hear someone use 'man' in such expressions today, I would think it was a bit outdated. What about you?


Hard to say for me, since a lot of what is used here is dated to me (I've even heard people use "shucks" and "gee whiz" here!). I notice almost everyone uses "man" here in one sense - "hey man". That's it.
Then some of the others I mentioned on another thread, "drag", etc. How about "minty"? Sounds peculiar to Manitoba, since I've only heard it from Manitobans. Supposedly it means "cool" - "The Peg is minty", "what a minty idea", etc.

Stan
Posts: 2534
Joined: 2004-11-21, 0:19
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Re: Do people still say 'man'?

Postby Stan » 2005-10-26, 1:26

Gormur wrote:
I also notice that 'girl' is becoming outdated.
'You go, girl!' :roll:


Sounds like sth a black girl would say on Jerry Springer.


:roll:

You just crossed the line :evil:
if I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday
assassinated on Saturday
buried on Sunday

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 7629
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Re: Do people still say 'man'?

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-26, 1:37

Stan wrote:
Gormur wrote:
I also notice that 'girl' is becoming outdated.
'You go, girl!' :roll:


Sounds like sth a black girl would say on Jerry Springer.


:roll:

You just crossed the line :evil:


Oh come on, if you said it's sth a skinny white boy would've said, you wouldn't hear me complain. Lighten up, dude. :lol:

Stan
Posts: 2534
Joined: 2004-11-21, 0:19
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Re: Do people still say 'man'?

Postby Stan » 2005-10-26, 1:43

Gormur wrote:
Stan wrote:
Gormur wrote:
I also notice that 'girl' is becoming outdated.
'You go, girl!' :roll:


Sounds like sth a black girl would say on Jerry Springer.


:roll:

You just crossed the line :evil:


Oh come on, if you said it's sth a skinny white boy would've said, you wouldn't hear me complain. Lighten up, dude. :lol:


why is it when people say offensive things and they get called out on it , the reply's always "lighten up" :roll:
if I was President,

I'd get elected on Friday

assassinated on Saturday

buried on Sunday

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 7629
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Re: Do people still say 'man'?

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-26, 1:52

Stan wrote:
Gormur wrote:
Stan wrote:
Gormur wrote:
I also notice that 'girl' is becoming outdated.
'You go, girl!' :roll:


Sounds like sth a black girl would say on Jerry Springer.


:roll:

You just crossed the line :evil:


Oh come on, if you said it's sth a skinny white boy would've said, you wouldn't hear me complain. Lighten up, dude. :lol:


why is it when people say offensive things and they get called out on it , the reply's always "lighten up" :roll:


It's only offensive if you take it that way. Pardon me if my humor isn't PC enough for you. I'm not changing it. If you don't like it, then why say anything? Give me a break...

User avatar
Ariki
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2004-10-01, 14:53
Real Name: Tāne
Gender: male
Country: NZ New Zealand (New Zealand / Aotearoa)

Postby Ariki » 2005-10-26, 6:36

'No way, man'


With Cook Island Māori, they could say 'ne', while New Zealand Māori would say 'ne rā' to avoid this expression.
'Man, you're crazy'


Cook Island Māori/New Zealand Māori would either say 'kare', 'bro' or hoa (New Zealand Māori only) to replace man.

'Hey man, shut up!'


Ditto as the above.

'You go, girl!'


Fa`afafine still say this one.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

User avatar
jonathan
Posts: 418
Joined: 2003-04-05, 3:18
Real Name: Jonathan Wing
Gender: male
Location: houston | tx | usa
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Postby jonathan » 2005-10-26, 16:47

"You go girl" is not heard too often anymore, but the use of 'girl' is, I think. A lot of men will talk to women that way:

"Girl, you lookin' fine tonight."
"How about your number, girl?"

etc.

I hear man and dude relatively often. Sometimes I'll say "'sup man?" or "duuuuude" when I'm in the mood.
Jonathan / ジョナサン / 조나단 / 乔纳森 / Giònata / Jônatas / Jonatã / Jonathas / Jonátan / โจนาธาน / Jónatan

中文的名字:天礼

CURRENTLY ATTEMPTING: English, 中文 (普通话), 日本語, tiếng Việt.

Stan
Posts: 2534
Joined: 2004-11-21, 0:19
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Postby Stan » 2005-10-26, 17:08

Man is also used to express disappointment

"Oh man!"

8)
if I was President,

I'd get elected on Friday

assassinated on Saturday

buried on Sunday

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 7629
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-26, 17:46

Stan wrote:Man is also used to express disappointment

"Oh man!"

8)


Yeah, that's mostly when I'd use it. Either that or "hey man".

kindofblue525
Posts: 45
Joined: 2005-10-21, 19:37
Real Name: kindofblue525
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby kindofblue525 » 2005-10-26, 19:19

I sprinkle 'man' in a lot of places. It's really just a filler word for people (guys?) to use when they're getting ready to continue their thought.

I've never said the word 'girl' like that, though.

And don't forget that a lot of guys rip on each other (insult each other) by calling their friends 'bitch' or other not-so-nice things. That sort of thing happens everywhere. Girls sometimes call other girls 'sluts', just jokingly.

When you think about it, it might be some sort of pack behavior, where guys and girls are always trying to put each other down, and even though they may not consciously mean it, it's still an unconscious aggression.

But that's another topic, I suppose...

Travis B.
Posts: 2019
Joined: 2005-06-13, 6:35
Real Name: Travis Bemann
Gender: male
Location: Maryland
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby Travis B. » 2005-10-26, 19:41

Man in that sense is practically nonexistant in the dialect here, and girl the other aforementioned sense is generally not heard much either. If anything, both, but in particular man, in these senses sound like rather outdated slang, which is not very current here at least, to me, and are not things that I myself would really use at all.
secretGeek on CodingHorror wrote:Type inference is not a gateway drug to more dynamically typed languages.

Rather "var" is a gateway drug toward "real" type inferencing, of which var is but a tiny cigarette to the greater crack mountain!

Rom
Posts: 132
Joined: 2005-10-02, 0:30
Real Name: Rom
Gender: female

Postby Rom » 2005-10-26, 21:58

Here it's pretty much outdated slang, but people still occasionally will use it (mostly older people). "Dude" is still used by some very old people I had a teacher once that always said "dude", which sounded very funny. She finally stopped when the whole class signed a petition against it. :lol:

User avatar
Lee
Posts: 167
Joined: 2003-11-12, 9:12
Gender: female
Location: Melbourne
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Postby Lee » 2005-10-26, 22:46

"Man" is still quite common here, probably. "Dude" isn't used as much and I'm certain no one uses "guy" like "No way, guy." :shock:
言葉にならいない気持ち

Travis B.
Posts: 2019
Joined: 2005-06-13, 6:35
Real Name: Travis Bemann
Gender: male
Location: Maryland
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby Travis B. » 2005-10-26, 23:46

I have to say that I myself find "dude" to be very outdated, and I practically never hear it in actual speech here unless someone is deliberately silly. When someone isn't being silly when using it, it just sounds plain wrong here.
secretGeek on CodingHorror wrote:Type inference is not a gateway drug to more dynamically typed languages.

Rather "var" is a gateway drug toward "real" type inferencing, of which var is but a tiny cigarette to the greater crack mountain!

User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 2607
Joined: 2005-05-26, 19:43
Real Name: Kirk
Gender: male
Location: Los Angeles
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby Kirk » 2005-10-27, 0:09

Travis B. wrote:I have to say that I myself find "dude" to be very outdated, and I practically never hear it in actual speech here unless someone is deliberately silly. When someone isn't being silly when using it, it just sounds plain wrong here.


That's definitely a regional difference between us, then, as it's pretty common here, at least for some speakers (and not just surfers). "Dude" also definitely must be said with a very fronted /u/. /u/ is commonly fronted and unrounded here anyway but "dude" is especially fronted and unrounded--something akin to [dɨːd].
Image
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 7629
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-27, 13:53

Kirk wrote:
Travis B. wrote:I have to say that I myself find "dude" to be very outdated, and I practically never hear it in actual speech here unless someone is deliberately silly. When someone isn't being silly when using it, it just sounds plain wrong here.


That's definitely a regional difference between us, then, as it's pretty common here, at least for some speakers (and not just surfers). "Dude" also definitely must be said with a very fronted /u/. /u/ is commonly fronted and unrounded here anyway but "dude" is especially fronted and unrounded--something akin to [dɨːd].


Yeah, I still use "dude" esp like - "wow, dude!" or "cool dude", etc. "Hey dude" sounds a bit dated to me, for some reason, though I would've used it some years ago.


Return to “English”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest