Fascinating study on the NCVS

Moderator: JackFrost

Kirk

Fascinating study on the NCVS

Postby Kirk » 2005-10-12, 21:31

I checked out a really interesting book on the Northern Cities Vowel Shift a couple of days ago from the library called Small-Town Values and Big-City Vowels: A Study of the Northern Cities Shift in Michigan. This book, detailing a study done by Matthew J. Gordon on two Michigan communities, was published by the American Dialect Society in 2001 so the information is pretty recent. If you're interested in dialectology and specifically how English is changing in the Northern Midwest in the US, check this book out, as there's a lot of interesting information there. I just finished reading the detailed historical introduction to the shift, and as I suspected it's not as straightforward or homogenous a shift as some might think.

Also, reading about the specific details of the shift, I was amazed at the parallels I could draw in terms of the California Shift (in terms of the drag-chain theory especially) in theory, altho of course in actual practice the two are moving in completely opposite directions. Reading this study makes me wanna just pack up and go and listen to people talk in the Northern Midwest--hehe. But seriously, if you have access to this book and are interested in this kind of thing, I'd highly recommend it.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Gormur

Re: Fascinating study on the NCVS

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-12, 23:45

Kirk wrote:Reading this study makes me wanna just pack up and go and listen to people talk in the Northern Midwest--hehe.

Give me a shout if you decide to do it. :wink:

if you have access to this book and are interested in this kind of thing, I'd highly recommend it.

I'll check the library here.

Tom K.

Postby Tom K. » 2005-10-13, 14:59

You don't need to go that far; there's plenty of people from the Northern Midwest with the NCVS here learning one language or another. Just come up here to Monterey on a weekend, and hang around the Del Monte Center or a bar like the Mucky Duck and you're bound to run into someone with NCVS.
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.

Kirk

Re: Fascinating study on the NCVS

Postby Kirk » 2005-10-13, 20:54

Gormur wrote:
Kirk wrote:Reading this study makes me wanna just pack up and go and listen to people talk in the Northern Midwest--hehe.

Give me a shout if you decide to do it. :wink:

Will do!

Tom K. wrote:You don't need to go that far; there's plenty of people from the Northern Midwest with the NCVS here learning one language or another. Just come up here to Monterey on a weekend, and hang around the Del Monte Center or a bar like the Mucky Duck and you're bound to run into someone with NCVS.

Ooh, sounds interesting. Actually, I have encountered a few people here who are Northern Cities transplants, so I've personally encountered the accent. I have a couple of friends who moved out here from the Iron Range in Minneosota after they finished college ("we were tired of the snow") and the NCVS is very progressive in their speech. I've also worked as an orientation leader and tour guide here at UCSD and so I've come into contact with people from all over the country, including the Northern Midwest, with the NCVS.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Return to “English”