Help with a little midterm paper.

Moderator: JackFrost

Egein

Help with a little midterm paper.

Postby Egein » 2005-10-04, 21:57

I would like to know if i made any major mistakes, any thing that makes no sence or bad phrasing. It should follow MLA.

:

Essay on A Minor Character of Jane Austen’s
Persuasion

by
Étienne Ljóni Poisson

Student N°:
A533243

for
Ragnar Smiður
3D.12

-Mary Musrgove is clearly not an important character. She does not take great decisions and she mostly whines. She serves as an element of humour and she also contrasts with Anne’s personality. Mary is also put in contrast with Elizabeth. As a minor character, she is useful to Anne in providing her with tidings when Anne is alone or away. Mary also provides an important meeting between Wentworth and Anne, when she leaves her child, Charles, to the care of Anne. The importance of Mary’s character is revealed through the repercussions of her actions rather than the actions themselves. That is to say, Mary’s importance to Anne is indirect.
-Mary’s vanity is possibly her greatest personality trait, along with her hypochondria. As it was previously mentioned, Mary’s personality serves as the book’s humoristic side. Mary herself tries to persuade the others that she is ill. “(…) you [Anne] might persuade him [Charles] that I really am very ill – a great deal more than I ever own. (p.40)” Through out the book, Mary’s detestable personality adds a lighter side to the story. She also strengthens Anne’s opinion on the Elliots. She confirms that Sir Elliot, Elizabeth and she are all vain, idiotic and self-centred persons, and that Anne wants none of the Elliot pride as they have it.
-In other words, Mary is vain, unpleasant and brings humour to the book through her ridiculous comments, her egocentricity and hypochondria. Her actions influenced the course of the story, namely bringing Anne closer to Wentworth. Otherwise, Mary’s influence on Anne is not considerable and is indirect.

Work cited:
Austen, Jane. Persuasion. Oxford (world’s classics), 2004.

-

I would be especially interested in knowing if I did the quotation + the page number right, and the thingies in the []'s. Also, this site does not display it the way I hoped.

Thank you.
egein.
-
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2005-10-05, 0:07

It looks good to me, Egein.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Stan

Re: Help with a little midterm paper.

Postby Stan » 2005-10-05, 20:58

Egein wrote:Mary Musrgove is clearly not a very important character. She does not <s>take</s> make good decisions and she mostly whines. She serves as an element of humour and she also contrasts with Anne’s personality. Mary is also put in contrast with Elizabeth. As a minor character, she is useful to Anne in providing her with tidings when Anne is alone or away. Mary also provides an important meeting between Wentworth and Anne, when she leaves her child, Charles, to the care of Anne. The importance of Mary’s character is revealed through the repercussions of her actions rather than the actions themselves. That is to say, Mary’s importance to Anne is indirect.
-Mary’s vanity is possibly her greatest personality trait, along with her hypochondria. As <s>it was</s> previously mentioned, Mary’s personality serves as the book’s <s>humoristic</s> humourous side. Mary herself tries to persuade the others that she is ill. “(…) you [Anne] might persuade him [Charles] that I really am very ill – a great deal more than I ever own. (p.40)” Throughout the book, Mary’s detestable personality adds a lighter side to the story. She also strengthens Anne’s opinion <s>on</s> of the Elliots. She confirms that she, Sir Elliot, and Elizabeth are all vain, idiotic and self-centred persons, and that Anne wants none of the Elliots' pride as they have it.
-In other words, Mary is vain, unpleasant and brings humour to the book through her ridiculous comments, her egocentricity and hypochondria. Her actions influenced the course of the story, namely bringing Anne closer to Wentworth. <s>Otherwise</s> However, Mary’s influence on Anne is indirect and not <s>considerable</s> important.

Work cited:
Austen, Jane. Persuasion. Oxford (world’s classics), 2004.[/b]

-

I would be especially interested in knowing if I did the quotation + the page number right, and the thingies in the []'s. Also, this site does not display it the way I hoped.

Thank you.
egein.
-

Everything was very good, I was just fixing things to make it better

however one sentence to me didn't make any sense:

"Through out the book, Mary’s detestable personality adds a lighter side to the story."

why exactly would a detestable personality (an unlikable one) add a lighter side to the story?

:wink:
if I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday
assassinated on Saturday
buried on Sunday

Egein

Postby Egein » 2005-10-05, 23:23

She's a complete bitch and she whines all the time and its just funny. its funt o hate her.
without her the book would be more boring.

But it is already an historically boring book.,
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2005-10-06, 0:09

Yes, I know you expressed how much hatred you invested in this book. ;)
Neferuj paħujkij!

Return to “English”