North American Accent Game

Moderator: JackFrost

Rom

North American Accent Game

Postby Rom » 2005-10-02, 0:32

Can you distinguish North American accents? Here is an audio sample. Which state/province do you think this speaker is from? If you have a slower connexion use this link instead.
Last edited by Rom on 2005-10-05, 0:10, edited 4 times in total.

reflexsilver86

Postby reflexsilver86 » 2005-10-02, 1:04

You know, I really don't know. Definitely not Northeastern. But for example down here in Florida we have such a collection of accents, and the native Floridian accents themselves vary, with many of us having a midwestern-type accent that are influenced depending on where we're from originally (some bits of New York pronunciation still work their way into my speech, but I don't have a NY accent)

That sounds to me like somewhere from the Midwest, perhaps bordering the south. But I only listened once. But the accent isn't anything glaringly obvious, like a New York, New England, southern, Californian, etc.
Français, Português, Italiano, Nederlands, Español

Future:
Íslenska, Deutsch

Un esprit sain dans un corps sain.

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2005-10-02, 17:32

Do you recognise accents?

Is this only about American accents or other worldwide English language accents as well?
I certainly can distinguish Irish English accents, Scottish accent, Liverpool accent, London accent, Australian accent, but, when it comes to American accents, there's only two for me- the American accent and the George Bush accent :lol: . All the regional accents sound the same to me.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
My Youtube Channel
Last.fm

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-03, 23:21

gigant26 wrote:
Do you recognise accents?

Is this only about American accents or other worldwide English language accents as well?

This particular sample is American/Canadian English.

Kazimer

Postby Kazimer » 2005-10-04, 0:25

This sample sounds like more of a Canadian speaker. He might be from Niagra Falls which would explain some of the New Yorker elements. I am not to sure but living across Lake Erie from Canada I can say people do not speak like that here. Also, I'd be willing to record my accent for anyone interested. I think my accent is more mid-west if anything from living in or near Cleveland, OH a good part of my life.

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-04, 0:52

phreaker wrote:This sample sounds like more of a Canadian speaker. He might be from Niagra Falls which would explain some of the New Yorker elements. I am not to sure but living across Lake Erie from Canada I can say people do not speak like that here. Also, I'd be willing to record my accent for anyone interested. I think my accent is more mid-west if anything from living in or near Cleveland, OH a good part of my life.

What New Yorker elements did you notice?

Kazimer

Postby Kazimer » 2005-10-04, 1:29

Rom wrote:
phreaker wrote:This sample sounds like more of a Canadian speaker. He might be from Niagra Falls which would explain some of the New Yorker elements. I am not to sure but living across Lake Erie from Canada I can say people do not speak like that here. Also, I'd be willing to record my accent for anyone interested. I think my accent is more mid-west if anything from living in or near Cleveland, OH a good part of my life.

What New Yorker elements did you notice?
:oops:

My bad. I wasn't paying attention when writing and heard something on TV and well my whole train of thought went somewhere else. I have been just been out of it today. I couldn't even concentrate in my favorite classes today. Sorry 'bout that. :| This happens from time to time. So, if something I post doesn't make sense it's usually because of my tiredness. :roll:

I meant to say it just sounded more Canadian than my "neutral" mid-west accent. :wink:

Gormur

Re: Accent guessing game!

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-04, 1:39

Rom wrote:Can you recognise accents? Here is an audio sample. Which state/province do you think this speaker comes from?

Hm, I've had this link for ages, but can't find the particular recording you mentioned. Oh well, I'll take a guess... :lol:

I'll take a wild guess: Connecticut or Vermont :?

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-04, 1:49

Gormur wrote:
Rom wrote:Can you recognise accents? Here is an audio sample. Which state/province do you think this speaker comes from?

Hm, I've had this link for ages, but can't find the particular recording you mentioned.

Hmm. You can't access it? Try this link

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-04, 1:54

Ah thanks. I had heard the recording, but couldn't find it at the particular website you got it from, so I had to guess the accent. :wink:

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-04, 2:00

Gormur wrote:Ah thanks. I had heard the recording, but couldn't find it at the particular website you got it from, so I had to guess the accent. :wink:

Of course you had to guess. It's me speaking.

Kennedy

Postby Kennedy » 2005-10-04, 12:46

I got one for you guys, too. This was recorded recently: a friend and I were on the street, and I interviewed him about the Dec. of Independence. He said his accent is hard to place, so I figured it'd be fun to ask around to see what other people think. So what do you say? Who wants to give it a try? : )

PS: I tried to minimize/reduce the street noise on the background, so you might hear a hiss, but I think the quality is good enough (file size: 500kb).

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-04, 14:08

Is he American?? It's hard to tell. If he is, I'd guess he's from Pennsylvania somewhere. I'm familiar with Pennsylvanian dialects...

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-04, 14:52

Kennedy wrote:I got one for you guys, too. This was recorded recently: a friend and I were on the street, and I interviewed him about the Dec. of Independence. He said his accent is hard to place, so I figured it'd be fun to ask around to see what other people think. So what do you say? Who wants to give it a try? : )

PS: I tried to minimize/reduce the street noise on the background, so you might hear a hiss, but I think the quality is good enough (file size: 500kb).

Toronto?

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-04, 15:10

Gormur wrote:Is he American?? It's hard to tell. If he is, I'd guess he's from Pennsylvania somewhere. I'm familiar with Pennsylvanian dialects...

I found a Pennsylvanian sample. http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.p ... akerid=127

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-10-04, 17:11

Rom wrote:Toronto?

Definitely not. I don't hear any Canadian raising. The accent is very "nasaly" and it reminds me of how some Brazilians speak English (i.e. my Brazilian friends) but with a slight eastern accent; maybe from Maine. Definitely an eastern accent.

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-04, 17:31

Gormur wrote:...maybe from Maine. Definitely an eastern accent.

Hmm. To me it doesn't sound like the people I've heard from Maine for some reason. But yes, definitely eastern. Sometimes the th's sounded like d's, and what was really wierd was some of the d's were not even pronounced at all--that part sounded like someone I knew from NY.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2005-10-04, 17:56

Rom wrote:
Gormur wrote:Is he American?? It's hard to tell. If he is, I'd guess he's from Pennsylvania somewhere. I'm familiar with Pennsylvanian dialects...

I found a Pennsylvanian sample. http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.p ... akerid=127

Lewistown, PA? That's in the northeastern part of the state in Schuylkill County. That's part of the Anthracite region. I'm from there, but from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area, not from Schuylkill County. :P

http://www.evolpub.com/Americandialects ... alMap.html

Anthracite Region

Geographical extent: Luzerne and Schuylkill Counties, western Lackawanna County--region of extensive anthracite coal mining.

Urban centers: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

Summary: Northern dialect, with a complicated linguistic history. Upstate New York-type in origin, with later mixture of Eastern Pennsylvania (German) features, and more recently Slavic superstrata due to immigration. Schuylkill county somewhat different situation: originally heavily Germanized dialect of Lehigh Valley-type, now following Scranton-Wilkes Barre pattern.
The area's first settlers from Connecticut and Upstate New York brought with them a "Yankee" dialect, but Pennsylvania Midland dialects began blending with it soon after, as Pennsylvania Germans began immigrating in numbers. More recently, there seems also to have been input from metropolitan Philadelphia. Interestingly, there are some significant parallels with New York City pronunciation: consistent reduction of hard and soft TH: dis (this), tink (think); full pronunciation of the G in final -ng, e.g. coming gup (coming up), and use of the glottal stop for medial -tt-: bo'l (bottle). The reduction of TH is common to many other urban dialects of the north, but in the Scranton area it appears to be practiced much more consistently and is even recognized as a local shibboleth (De Camp 1940).
It is possible that such changes are due to Eastern European immigration at the turn of the century. One particularly recent characteristic of the Anthracite dialect attributed to Slavic influence, is the merger of O and AW in cot and caught. Herold's study (1990) determined that this was not an extension of the Western Pennsylvania merger, but was rather an independant local development among coal mining immigrants, which is now establishing itself in the entire speech community.

Maybe it's hard to place since it's complicated to identify.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-04, 19:48

More recently, there seems also to have been input from metropolitan Philadelphia. Interestingly, there are some significant parallels with New York City pronunciation: consistent reduction of hard and soft TH: dis (this), tink (think); full pronunciation of the G in final -ng, e.g. coming gup (coming up), and use of the glottal stop for medial -tt-: bo'l (bottle).

wow! That has to be it, unless the speaker has other influences. That's an extremely accurate match for that sample.

Rom

Postby Rom » 2005-10-04, 19:50

Gormur wrote:

Hm, I've had this link for ages, but can't find the particular recording you mentioned. Oh well, I'll take a guess... :lol:

I'll take a wild guess: Connecticut or Vermont :?

Nope, neither of those places. Here's another sample from the same region.

Return to “English”