Page 2 of 2

Posted: 2005-08-06, 23:44
by ZombiekE
You can't imagine how annoying these things are for those who use English as a second language :lol:

Posted: 2005-08-07, 5:21
by Psi-Lord
Just me and the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary… Just out of curiosity, I looked 'err' up. It gives /ɜː<sup>r</sup>/ for BrE, but both /ɝː/ and /er/ as possible for AmE.

Posted: 2005-08-07, 5:35
by Kirk
Psi-Lord wrote:Just me and the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary… Just out of curiosity, I looked 'err' up. It gives /ɜː<sup>r</sup>/ for BrE, but both /ɝː/ and /er/ as possible for AmE.


Yeah, I say [ɛɹ], not [3˞] for "err." I've heard very few North Americans say [3˞] for that word. My mom said that in school they were taught they were "supposed" to say [3˞], but obviously by that point [ɛɹ] was well established (she says [ɛɹ] also).

Posted: 2005-08-07, 10:17
by Travis B.
svenska84 wrote:
Psi-Lord wrote:Just me and the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary… Just out of curiosity, I looked 'err' up. It gives /ɜː<sup>r</sup>/ for BrE, but both /ɝː/ and /er/ as possible for AmE.


Yeah, I say [ɛɹ], not [3˞] for "err." I've heard very few North Americans say [3˞] for that word. My mom said that in school they were taught they were "supposed" to say [3˞], but obviously by that point [ɛɹ] was well established (she says [ɛɹ] also).


Around here, /er/ -> [eːɹ] is used for "err", whereas I never even heard that one is supposedly "supposed to" say /ɚ/ -> [ɝ] for such until recently, which I have never heard in actual usage ever.

Posted: 2005-08-11, 3:09
by Kazimer
I think Mr. Knowsnothing's an ass. Your going to tell me to change the way I speak because it doesn't match yours. Doe's he understand there are such things as dialects and that dictionaries are only a suggestion on how to pronouce a word. I suppose he would tell people in the South to get their drawls fixed by a speech therapist and force people in Boston to pronounce their "r's." He needs to get over himself. :D

Posted: 2005-08-11, 5:20
by Kirk
Travis B. wrote:
svenska84 wrote:
Psi-Lord wrote:Just me and the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary… Just out of curiosity, I looked 'err' up. It gives /ɜː<sup>r</sup>/ for BrE, but both /ɝː/ and /er/ as possible for AmE.


Yeah, I say [ɛɹ], not [3˞] for "err." I've heard very few North Americans say [3˞] for that word. My mom said that in school they were taught they were "supposed" to say [3˞], but obviously by that point [ɛɹ] was well established (she says [ɛɹ] also).


Around here, /er/ -> [eːɹ] is used for "err", whereas I never even heard that one is supposedly "supposed to" say /ɚ/ -> [ɝ] for such until recently, which I have never heard in actual usage ever.


Yeah I only found out about 'err''s other pronunciation a few years ago, and have never heard it that way in real life except from non-NAE speakers.

phreaker wrote:I think Mr. Knowsnothing's an ass. Your going to tell me to change the way I speak because it doesn't match yours. Doe's he understand there are such things as dialects and that dictionaries are only a suggestion on how to pronouce a word. I suppose he would tell people in the South to get their drawls fixed by a speech therapist and force people in Boston to pronounce their "r's." He needs to get over himself.


As does many a misguided prescriptivist. Such laughable prescriptions are jokes which unfortunately some people take seriously (including those who write them).