USE GOOD PRONUNCIATION. It's Your Doody!

Moderator: JackFrost

ZombiekE

Postby ZombiekE » 2005-08-06, 23:44

You can't imagine how annoying these things are for those who use English as a second language :lol:

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-08-07, 5:21

Just me and the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary… Just out of curiosity, I looked 'err' up. It gives /ɜː<sup>r</sup>/ for BrE, but both /ɝː/ and /er/ as possible for AmE.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-08-07, 5:35

Psi-Lord wrote:Just me and the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary… Just out of curiosity, I looked 'err' up. It gives /ɜː<sup>r</sup>/ for BrE, but both /ɝː/ and /er/ as possible for AmE.

Yeah, I say [ɛɹ], not [3˞] for "err." I've heard very few North Americans say [3˞] for that word. My mom said that in school they were taught they were "supposed" to say [3˞], but obviously by that point [ɛɹ] was well established (she says [ɛɹ] also).
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Travis B.

Postby Travis B. » 2005-08-07, 10:17

svenska84 wrote:
Psi-Lord wrote:Just me and the Cambridge English Pronouncing dictionary… Just out of curiosity, I looked 'err' up. It gives /ɜː<sup>r</sup>/ for BrE, but both /ɝː/ and /er/ as possible for AmE.

Yeah, I say [ɛɹ], not [3˞] for "err." I've heard very few North Americans say [3˞] for that word. My mom said that in school they were taught they were "supposed" to say [3˞], but obviously by that point [ɛɹ] was well established (she says [ɛɹ] also).

Around here, /er/ -> [eːɹ] is used for "err", whereas I never even heard that one is supposedly "supposed to" say /ɚ/ -> [ɝ] for such until recently, which I have never heard in actual usage ever.
secretGeek on CodingHorror wrote:Type inference is not a gateway drug to more dynamically typed languages.

Rather "var" is a gateway drug toward "real" type inferencing, of which var is but a tiny cigarette to the greater crack mountain!

Kazimer

Postby Kazimer » 2005-08-11, 3:09

I think Mr. Knowsnothing's an ass. Your going to tell me to change the way I speak because it doesn't match yours. Doe's he understand there are such things as dialects and that dictionaries are only a suggestion on how to pronouce a word. I suppose he would tell people in the South to get their drawls fixed by a speech therapist and force people in Boston to pronounce their "r's." He needs to get over himself. :D
Last edited by Kazimer on 2005-08-11, 5:27, edited 1 time in total.

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-08-11, 5:20

Travis B. wrote:
svenska84 wrote:

Around here, /er/ -> [eːɹ] is used for "err", whereas I never even heard that one is supposedly "supposed to" say /ɚ/ -> [ɝ] for such until recently, which I have never heard in actual usage ever.

Yeah I only found out about 'err''s other pronunciation a few years ago, and have never heard it that way in real life except from non-NAE speakers.

phreaker wrote:I think Mr. Knowsnothing's an ass. Your going to tell me to change the way I speak because it doesn't match yours. Doe's he understand there are such things as dialects and that dictionaries are only a suggestion on how to pronouce a word. I suppose he would tell people in the South to get their drawls fixed by a speech therapist and force people in Boston to pronounce their "r's." He needs to get over himself.

As does many a misguided prescriptivist. Such laughable prescriptions are jokes which unfortunately some people take seriously (including those who write them).
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Return to “English”