Wingèd

Moderator: JackFrost

Kirk

Re: ''naked''

Postby Kirk » 2005-07-13, 22:15

Tashi wrote:
svenska84 wrote:
SpaceFlight wrote:What about ''ev'ry'' and ''ev'rybody'' though? I've seen those before. What's their purpose. It's seems to me like they're just taking out a silent letter and replacing it with an apostrophe.

For some reason, spelling has given extra letters to those words, which never were pronounced as three syllables

well I sometimes pronounce it as three syllables, in songs and poems for metric reasons or emphasis

Yeah, that's a good point. I was more thinking of regular spoken language, but you're right, in such usage I've heard it with three syllables also.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

SpaceFlight

''every'' with three syllables.

Postby SpaceFlight » 2005-07-14, 3:43

Yeah, that's a good point. I was more thinking of regular spoken language, but you're right, in such usage I've heard it with three syllables also.

Kirk,

A good example of that three-syllable pronunciation of ''every'' is on this one song with lyrics like this:

''I want to rock-'n'-roll all night and party everyday.''

''every'' is pronounced /Ev@`i/ in that song. It seems like /Ev@`i/ has more emphasis than /Evri/.

Kirk

Re: ''every'' with three syllables.

Postby Kirk » 2005-07-14, 4:47

SpaceFlight wrote:

Kirk,

A good example of that three-syllable pronunciation of ''every'' is on this one song with lyrics like this:

''I want to rock-'n'-roll all night and party everyday.''

''every'' is pronounced /Ev@`i/ in that song. It seems like /Ev@`i/ has more emphasis than /Evri/.

Do you know who sings that song? One example that comes to mind in pop/rock is Avril Lavigne's "My Happy Ending" where she sings "ev-er-y" in the line:

"you were ev-er-y-thing, ev-er-y-thing, that I wanted/ we were meant to be supposed to be, but we lost it"
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Return to “English”