''aeroplane' and ''aeroport'' vs. ''airplane'' and ''airport

Moderator:JackFrost

Tashi

Postby Tashi » 2005-07-11, 19:10

Psi-Lord wrote:Would you guys happen to know if it's specific to Scotland, or if it can be heard in e.g. London, too?

Haha, personally, I think they made it up.

I've lived in London almost all my life and the British Standard English (prestige dialect) is "airport". I asked a Scottish friend who has lived in Edinburgh all her life, she, like me, also uses, has only ever used, and has only ever heard "airport".

All the public Scottish airports use the word "airport" in their titles (if that word is used)..
"Aberdeen International Airport" (EGPD)
"Edinburgh Airport" (EGPH)
"Dundee Airport" (EGPN)
"Glasgow Prestwick Airport" (EGPF) etc.

No public airport, airfeild or aerodrome in the whole United Kingdom uses the word "aeroport" in the title.

It is not included in the Concise Oxford Dictionary 2002, which includes Scottish English dialect words.

A google search for the word "aeroport" (July 11 2005) did not yeild any results where the word was in English in the first 10 pages, neither for google.co.uk nor google.com

These sources are verifiable, the oxford english dictionary is available online (http://www.oed.com/), most people know how to use google (http://www.google.co.uk), uk airports are listed by the civil aviaiton authority (can't find it online, http://www.pilotweb.co.uk/content/weather/ gives uk weather reporting airports)

Perhaps this word is used elsewhere in Scotland? It is very easy to distribute misinformation over the internet in forums like this so could anyone provide a single reference refuting the above, which i can check? :roll:

go on, enlighten me...

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-07-12, 9:10

Daniel wrote:I would think that that word is restricted to a certain dialect though. Several Scots words used in the Scottish English variant are not very often written down, since the Scots language is strictly an oral language.

Could be possible that the word in question is a loanword from the French since Scots has a significant number of French loanwords and when written down they are usually spelled the Scots way.

That would be interesting if it came about that way. Daniel, when you hear "aeroport" in Scottish English, how is it pronounced?

I would also like to point out that the shady originator of this topic has disappeared. This was the pattern we saw on our other language site with him--he would introduce a controversial topic, throw in some other incendiary posts (often under different aliases) and then leave the remaining real people to bicker pointlessly. We've gotta learn from this.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Mars80

Re: ''aeroplane' and ''aeroport'' vs. ''airplane'' and ''airport

Postby Mars80 » 2015-09-21, 0:12

I don't think any English speakers including those in Scotland actually use the word "aeroport". Scottish people may pronounce it with a vowel between the "r" and the "p", to where it sounds like "aeroport" similar to how they say "film" as "fillum", but I'm sure they would still spell it "airport".

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Re: ''aeroplane' and ''aeroport'' vs. ''airplane'' and ''airport

Postby OldBoring » 2015-09-26, 9:33

IMHO, aeroport sounds like a mistake arose from analogy with aeroplane, which is the British English word for airplane.

Return to “English”