[MY5] The intervocalic T-stopping/glottalisation + /ʌ/ realised as /ɵ/ on British Channel 5

Moderator:JackFrost

stordragon
[MY5] The intervocalic T-stopping/glottalisation + /ʌ/ realised as /ɵ/ on British Channel 5

Postby stordragon » 2022-06-10, 12:22

https://www.channel5.com/show/shoplifte ... hy-so-late

33ː00 of 44ː15ː
"Seconds la'er /leɪʔə/, he's out the door and gone."
Seconds La'er.jpg

The narrator has clearly dropped the intervocalic /t(ʰ)/ and made it a glottal stop.

Has this "Cockney(Estuary?) accent" been widely adopted on MY5?

Btw I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether /ʌ/ is commonly realised as /ɵ/ (like the French schwa as in the stressed le, me, etc.) or even /ɔ/ by most of the MY5 narrators (not sure why this is the case), but it's definitely not /ʌ/, e.g.ː

begun /bɪ'gɵn/ (or maybe /bɪ'gɔn/?)
cut /'kʰɵt/ (or maybe /'kʰɔt/?)
hundred /'hɵndɹəd/ (or maybe /'hʊndɹəd/ or /'hɔndɹəd/?)
etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
人生得意须尽欢,莫使金樽空对月。
Hvat krevst fyri at kunnast við aðrar mentanir? Tað er fyrst og fremst teirra mál!(á føroyskum)
Dovddan earenoamážit beroštumi suoma-ugrálaš giellajoavkku dutkamuššii.(davvisámegillii)
Būtina imtis neatidėliotinų priemonių nykstančioms kalboms apsaugoti nuo išnykimo;nes kalbinė įvairovė,mano nuomone,yra ne mažiau svarbi nei biologinė!(lietuviškai)

Linguaphile

Re: [MY5] The intervocalic T-stopping/glottalisation + /ʌ/ realised as /ɵ/ on British Channel 5

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-06-10, 13:30

stordragon wrote:https://www.channel5.com/show/shoplifters-scammers-at-war-with-the-law/season-1/shoplifters-scammers-at-war-with-the-law-why-so-late

33ː00 of 44ː15ː
Seconds La'er.jpg

The narrator has clearly dropped the intervocalic /t(ʰ)/ and made it a glottal stop.

When I tried to access the video, I was directed to this error message:
Access to content on My5 will only be granted if the system can confirm that the connection is being made from within the United Kingdom, which means that connections via VPN and those that don't confirm an IP address will be blocked.

If you are within the UK, please try turning off your VPN to access My5 and you should then be able to play content on the platform. If you are not using a VPN but are still having problems playing content, please contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to check that your connection confirms as being in the UK.

So I can't answer about that specific clip, or about My5. But I can answer that in general, the intervocalic glottal stop in place of /t/ and the weakening of vowels to /ə/ or /ʌ/ are common in British English. (I can't speak for /ɵ/ though.)
This article (The Cockneyfication of Received Pronunciation) is from 1991 but you may find it interesting.

stordragon wrote:Btw I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether /ʌ/ is commonly realised as /ɵ/ (like the French schwa as in the stressed le, me, etc.) or even /ɔ/ by most of the MY5 narrators (not sure why this is the case), but it's definitely not /ʌ/, e.g.ː

etc.

stordragon

Re: [MY5] The intervocalic T-stopping/glottalisation + /ʌ/ realised as /ɵ/ on British Channel 5

Postby stordragon » 2022-06-12, 14:58

Linguaphile wrote:
stordragon wrote:https://www.channel5.com/show/shoplifters-scammers-at-war-with-the-law/season-1/shoplifters-scammers-at-war-with-the-law-why-so-late

33ː00 of 44ː15ː
Seconds La'er.jpg

When I tried to access the video, I was directed to this error message:
Access to content on My5 will only be granted if the system can confirm that the connection is being made from within the United Kingdom, which means that connections via VPN and those that don't confirm an IP address will be blocked.

If you are within the UK, please try turning off your VPN to access My5 and you should then be able to play content on the platform. If you are not using a VPN but are still having problems playing content, please contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to check that your connection confirms as being in the UK.

So I can't answer about that specific clip, or about My5.

You need to be either located in UK or use some VPNs of top quality which can bypass their detection, or you might want to do some coding jobs to set up the VPS for yourself.

Linguaphile wrote:But I can answer that in general, the intervocalic glottal stop in place of /t/ and the weakening of vowels to /ə/ or /ʌ/ are common in British English. (I can't speak for /ɵ/ though.)
This article (The Cockneyfication of Received Pronunciation) is from 1991 but you may find it interesting.

stordragon wrote:Btw I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether /ʌ/ is commonly realised as /ɵ/ (like the French schwa as in the stressed le, me, etc.) or even /ɔ/ by most of the MY5 narrators (not sure why this is the case), but it's definitely not /ʌ/, e.g.ː

etc.

That's interesting, thank you for the information Linguaphile. :yep: It seems even the accents in quite a lot of latest soaps on BBC are heavily influenced by the so-called SSB (Standard Southern British) and nowadays they pronounce /ʌ/ in a quite different way.

Cheers!
人生得意须尽欢,莫使金樽空对月。
Hvat krevst fyri at kunnast við aðrar mentanir? Tað er fyrst og fremst teirra mál!(á føroyskum)
Dovddan earenoamážit beroštumi suoma-ugrálaš giellajoavkku dutkamuššii.(davvisámegillii)
Būtina imtis neatidėliotinų priemonių nykstančioms kalboms apsaugoti nuo išnykimo;nes kalbinė įvairovė,mano nuomone,yra ne mažiau svarbi nei biologinė!(lietuviškai)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-06-12, 15:36

stordragon wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:So I can't answer about that specific clip, or about My5.

You need to be either located in UK or use some VPNs of top quality which can bypass their detection, or you might want to do some coding jobs to set up the VPS for yourself.

I don't have a need to go through all of that and try to bypass their detection. :lol: I just wanted you to know why I wasn't able to listen to the link you posted in order to comment specifically on that clip (and probably most others here aren't either, because we don't have many users located in the UK).

Return to “English”