disgustingly happily married

Moderator:JackFrost

artart
disgustingly happily married

Postby artart » 2022-05-25, 7:29

1) He is disgustingly happily married.
2) He is disgustingly, happily married.
3) He is, disgustingly, happily married.

Is there a difference in the meanings of these sentences?

I think in '1' he is married happily in a disgusting way. It would be possible to be happily married in a non-disgusting way.

In '2', he is married disgustingly and happily.

'3' would mean that the fact that he is happily married is disgusting.

So in '2' the two things are separate.

Would you agree with that?
And are native speakers really careful about such matters?

Gratefully,
Navi

linguoboy

Re: disgustingly happily married

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-26, 20:15

artart wrote:Would you agree with that?

I would.

artart wrote:And are native speakers really careful about such matters?

I would say we aren't, not in ordinary communication. Most folks I think would just leave out the internal punctuation.

BTW, have you considered having only one thread instead of creating a new one for every individual question? It might make it a little more difficult for you know which questions of yours have been answered but it would make it easier for me (and presumably others) to know when you've posted again. (I only saw your last two posts because I clicked on the "Unread Posts" tab, which I don't ordinarily do.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

artart

Postby artart » 2022-05-27, 7:31

Thank you very much, for all your kind replies, Linguoboy,

You mean I could ask multiple questions in one thread? I could do that. I ask the questions as they come to my mind. So it might not always work.

I like your replies very much, and wouldn't like to miss them!

In case you like replying to my questions, here is another one:

https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=60173

I think it is a tough one. I think there might be a difference between grammar and real-life usage.

I don't intend to be rude or pushy. I just thought you might have missed that one as well.

Thanks again.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-05-27, 9:25

artart wrote:You mean I could ask multiple questions in one thread? I could do that. I ask the questions as they come to my mind.

Yeah, I was thinking the same - like because you're always asking about the subtle differences between some phrases, you could put all of that in one thread - it would be more neat and we will know what that thread is about.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-05-29, 10:21

PS The problem I experience with one thread per topic only is that, sometimes, I want to add something, the message is already posted, and I don't know if I should edit the post or make a new one. Some of my questions remained unanswered, and I'm not sure if it is because the knowledgeable speakers did not find them interesting, or because they weren't noticed in between.

(And one stylistic question here - would you put the first comma before sometimes?)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-31, 17:03

Woods wrote:(And one stylistic question here - would you put the first comma before sometimes?)

I wouldn't use either comma there.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “English”