Is the phrase complete?

Moderator: JackFrost

Woods

Is the phrase complete?

Postby Woods » 2020-08-26, 18:21

Many of us have forgotten to look for the things we like in another.

I'm wondering if that phrase sounds complete, or somehow suspended right before it ended. Does it sound better than:

Many of us have forgotten to look for the things we like in another person.

linguoboy

Re: Is the phrase complete?

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-27, 5:16

Woods wrote:Many of us have forgotten to look for the things we like in another.

I'm wondering if that phrase sounds complete, or somehow suspended right before it ended. Does it sound better than:

Whether it sounds “better” depends on what the author is going for stylistically. Both versions are correct. The first sounds like it belongs to a slightly more formal register.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Woods

Re: Is the phrase complete?

Postby Woods » 2020-08-27, 8:53

linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:Many of us have forgotten to look for the things we like in another.

Whether it sounds “better” depends on what the author is going for stylistically. Both versions are correct. The first sounds like it belongs to a slightly more formal register.

Thanks!

Btw can you make a statement about the two final versions of the sentence in my ajar question - the ones I've underlined in bold? Still haven't decide which one to keep.

Return to “English”