Looking for the word

Moderator: JackFrost

Woods

Re: Looking for the word

Postby Woods » 2020-08-29, 6:40

linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:I don't like the "redundancy" of saying "slightly ajar" that linguoboy mentioned. But I really want the person reading to imagine that the door is very slightly opened - so if we have to use the extra words, maybe I could add "whether it's fully opened or very slightly ajar"?

You asked what sounded good to native speakers. This is what sounds best to me.

Does the very add anything there or is it too much?

Honestly I hadn’t noticed that you’d added it. That should give you an idea how little difference it makes.

Okay, but if you don't mind it, I'm leaving it there :)

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2020-09-03, 8:48

Also looking for a word (if it exists)

Is there a word for someone who doesn't eat land animals, but eats fowl and fish (basically what I'm looking for is a word like pollo-pescetarian but including more fowl than just chicken)?
native: (ar-MA) (nl)
very comfortable: (en-US)
somewhat comfortable: (de) (es) (af)
forgetting: (fr) (ar-arb)
touristy level: (ro) (sv)(ber)(pl)
someday hopefully: (ja) (sq) (cs) (tr) and many others

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-09-03, 9:52

languagepotato wrote:Also looking for a word (if it exists)

Is there a word for someone who doesn't eat land animals, but eats fowl and fish (basically what I'm looking for is a word like pollo-pescetarian but including more fowl than just chicken)?

“I don’t eat red meat.”
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Woods

Postby Woods » 2020-09-03, 10:57

linguoboy wrote:

“I don’t eat red meat.”

What a change of topic! :shock:

What about rabbits?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-09-03, 13:47

Actually pollo-pescetarian is often understood exactly that way. Some pollo-pescetarians don't eat any meat besides fish and chicken, but many will eat other poultry. Likewise pollotarian or pollo-vegetarian generally means a person who can eat poultry in general, not exclusively chicken.
A person who says "I don't eat red meat" might eat pork.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2021-01-28, 12:05

Turning the volume knob up and down, is there a one-word verb that can be used?

Like there is to tune, but that is slightly different. To adjust, but it will require adding the substantive. To pitch, but that is more about the quality and character of the thing being modified and not about its level and strength (which is what I'm looking for). I need to use it metaphorically with a noun that is not the volume or sound itself, so I was wondering if there's a one-word verb that would express the whole thing - turning volume up and down, or some similar physical phenomenon?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-01-28, 15:47

Woods wrote:Turning the volume knob up and down, is there a one-word verb that can be used?

Like there is to tune, but that is slightly different. To adjust, but it will require adding the substantive.

Not necessarily. In context, it can be used with an understood object. The problem is more that it's too general.

There isn't really a one-word equivalent, but depending on the actual sentence you might be able to utilise "modulate". It's also broader than just volume, but I've heard "modulate your voice" to mean "speak softly", so given the right context I think it might be possible for it to mean "adjust the volume". Like adjust, the object could be understood, e.g. "I still can't hear it." "You have to modulate."

Since this is an extended usage, I'd really have to see the sentence though.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Woods

Postby Woods » 2021-01-29, 9:05

linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:Turning the volume knob up and down, is there a one-word verb that can be used?

Like there is to tune, but that is slightly different. To adjust, but it will require adding the substantive.

Not necessarily. In context, it can be used with an understood object. The problem is more that it's too general.

There isn't really a one-word equivalent, but depending on the actual sentence you might be able to utilise "modulate". It's also broader than just volume, but I've heard "modulate your voice" to mean "speak softly", so given the right context I think it might be possible for it to mean "adjust the volume". Like adjust, the object could be understood, e.g. "I still can't hear it." "You have to modulate."

Since this is an extended usage, I'd really have to see the sentence though.

Could you say that something "modulates one's beliefs" - in the sense of making them weaker or stronger without clarifying which? I came up with "regulate" but it didn't sound good.

Adjust, modify, tune, pitch won't work cause it'll sound more like they're changing the actual belief, while it's more about its strength.

Modulate sounds fine to me, so good that you're here :)

Return to “English”