Difference of the adjectives with -al and without this suffux

Moderator:JackFrost

Katya O.
Difference of the adjectives with -al and without this suffux

Postby Katya O. » 2018-03-06, 19:33

Hello!
Explain to me the difference between the adjectives with the suffic -al and without it, please. For example:
logic - logical

P.S.: I've sent personal messages to some people on Unilang but they ignored me. Is it because of politics or I'm stupid in English?

Naava
Forum Administrator

Re: Difference of the adjectives with -al and without this suffux

Postby Naava » 2018-03-06, 19:39

Katya O. wrote:P.S.: I've sent personal messages to some people on Unilang but they ignored me. Is it because of politics or I'm stupid in English?

Are you sure they've read your messages yet? How long have you waited for them to answer? Also, this is kinda silly question, but did you send the PMs to active members? :)

Katya O.

Postby Katya O. » 2018-03-06, 19:49

Naava wrote:
Katya O. wrote:P.S.: I've sent personal messages to some people on Unilang but they ignored me. Is it because of politics or I'm stupid in English?

Are you sure they've read your messages yet? How long have you waited for them to answer? Also, this is kinda silly question, but did you send the PMs to active members? :)

They're active members according to their profiles. :) I was waiting for 2 weeks.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-03-06, 20:00

Well, I don't know what you've written to them, but if it was something like "hi I want friends, let's talk" or "want to help me with language X?", it's possible they thought you're a troll. I've once answered to such a message (by telling him where to find help), and then he started to call me cruel and cold-hearted and what not because I didn't want to flirt with him. :lol:

In any case, I'm sorry to hear you've had to wait for so long.

Katya O.

Postby Katya O. » 2018-03-06, 20:08

Naava wrote:Well, I don't know what you've written to them, but if it was something like "hi I want friends, let's talk" or "want to help me with language X?", it's possible they thought you're a troll. I've once answered to such a message (by telling him where to find help), and then he started to call me cruel and cold-hearted and what not because I didn't want to flirt with him. :lol:

In any case, I'm sorry to hear you've had to wait for so long.

:) May be I should wait another 2 weeks. Well, I can. By the way, if you need help in Russian, I can help you :)

linguoboy

Re: Difference between adjectives with -al and those without this suffix

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-06, 20:20

Katya O. wrote:Explain to me the difference between the adjectives with the suffic -al and without it, please. For example:
logic - logical

Logic is obsolete as an adjective. The most recent usage given in the Oxford English Dictionary is from the 16th century.

Where current forms with and without -al exist, there's usually some difference in meaning, but it's not one you can make easy generalisations about.

For instance, historical is the usual adjective for "having to do with history". Historic has a more specific meaning, namely "historically significant". So a historic agreement is one that marked a turning point in history. It may well still be in effect. A historical agreement is just any agreement that existed in the past.

By contrast, classic has a more general meaning than classical. The latter generally refers to specific periods in the history of the arts (e.g. the 18th and 19th centuries for music, Greek and Roman times for sculpture, literature, etc.)

If you have other pairs you're curious about, I can try to explain them.

Katya O. wrote:P.S.: I've sent personal messages to some people on Unilang but they ignored me. Is it because of politics or because I'm stupid in English?

There could be as many different reasons as there are people. You sent me a message and I answered it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-03-06, 21:17

Katya O. wrote:By the way, if you need help in Russian, I can help you :)

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind! You can also go to the Russian subforum if you want to help more people than just me. :)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-03-06, 22:09

Is there a reason why you posted this question twice?
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Katya O.

Postby Katya O. » 2018-03-08, 7:52

Dormouse559 wrote:Is there a reason why you posted this question twice?

Nope, I thought the topic wasn't saved. Sorry for that. I closed the page accidentally.

Return to “English”