[Game] Creating sentences

Moderator: JackFrost

tiuwiu

Re: [Game] Creating sentences

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-11-24, 7:00

I daresay it's darker at night than during the day, and vanilla ice cream is much better than chocolate.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-11-24, 9:23

Why do they call the witches Vanilla and Chocola in the English version of シュガシュガルーン, aka Sugar Sugar Run, don't they think those names are terribly out of frame?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-11-24, 13:03

At the corner of her desk rested a small framed photo of herself and her kids in a park.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-11-24, 16:12

I saw her sitting on the boss's desk with her tight skirt and shocking pink stocking, and crossing her legs in quite a suggestive way - I didn't understand at first why she was being so provocative and then I understood: it's that time of the year... when they decide who gets or doesn't get this year's bonus.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-11-25, 16:03

Dormouse559 wrote:1) "Bimbo" is normally used as a full noun, rather than as a modifier. So you'd say "a blond(e) bimbo" and not "a blond(e) bimbo girl"; "a tall, blonde, teenage bimbo" and not "a tall, blonde bimbo teenager".

I agree with you to a point. But "blond(e) bimbo" is also a particular stereotype, like a "lesbian feminist" or a "longhaired hippie freak". So I perceive a slight difference between "a tall, blonde bimbo teenager" (a tall teenager who fits the stereotype of a blonde bimbo) and "a tall, blonde, teenage bimbo" (a bimbo who also happens to be tall, blonde, and teenage).

RaviSharma12 wrote:There are more than 35% of carnivorous animals exists on the planet.

This is ungrammatical; you can't have two finite verbs in a single clause like that. Maybe the intended parsing is *"There are more than 35% of carnivorous animals that exists on the planet" but (1) you can drop that sometimes before a dependent clause but not here; (2) it would take plural agreement because animals is plural (i.e. "animals that exist"); and (3) it's still an awkward statement that's difficult to interpret. I think what you mean is that 35% of the animals that exist on this planet are carnivorous, but I'm really not sure.

tiuwiu wrote:His friends think he's selfish because he don't want a fecking birthday party.

Are you intentionally imitating lower-register speech here?

france-eesti wrote:Don't you dare calling your sister selfish just because she didn't make actual Christmas presents but gave the money to a charity instead

france-eesti wrote:Why do they call the witches Vanilla and Chocola in the English version of シュガシュガルーン, aka Sugar Sugar Run, don't they think those names are terribly out of frame?

I'm not exactly sure what you're going for here. Nowadays I only hear people use "out of frame" when talking about photographs or pictures (e.g. "Pull back to show Sumo Bunny standing just out of frame and ready for battle."). Historically, it could also be used to describe a damaged mechanism (e.g. "When a clock within is disordered, and the wheels out of frame, the hammer and bell must needs give an uncertain sound."). But neither of those meanings fits here and I can't think of a metaphorical interpretation that works either.

france-eesti wrote:I saw her sitting on the boss's desk with her tight skirt and shocking pink stockings
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-11-25, 17:25

linguoboy wrote:
france-eesti wrote:Why do they call the witches Vanilla and Chocola in the English version of シュガシュガルーン, aka Sugar Sugar Run, don't they think those names are terribly out of frame?

I'm not exactly sure what you're going for here. Nowadays I only hear people use "out of frame" when talking about photographs or pictures (e.g. "Pull back to show Sumo Bunny standing just out of frame and ready for battle."). Historically, it could also be used to describe a damaged mechanism (e.g. "When a clock within is disordered, and the wheels out of frame, the hammer and bell must needs give an uncertain sound."). But neither of those meanings fits here and I can't think of a metaphorical interpretation that works either.

There's a figurative meaning for frame that is used in French (cadre, which has a wider meaning than English frame) and some other languages, but not English. I think she's saying the names seem out of place or inappropriate for the context.
On the Estonian board some of us had this discussion about it a year or so ago (relevant here because it discusses the French usage, which I think may be what france-eesti had in mind - and she'll probably get the Estonian meanings used here too):
Linguaphile wrote:Does anyone know how you would translate täna õhtul purustame raamid? They are breaking frames, destroying boundaries. Does it refer to not following the expectations others have of them, not following a traditional role, not fitting stereotypes? Is raamid purustama a phrase created by the writer of the song to express this idea, or is it used more widely?

Prantsis wrote:I understand raame purustama more or less the same way as you do. I think that raam is frequently used in a figurative way and can be combined with many verbs: raami(de)st väljuma, raami(de)st vabanema, raami/e ületama, raami(de)sse mahtuma, raami(de)sse surutud olema... EKSS has an example of raame purustama in purustama's article.

Linguaphile wrote:Thanks! Where did you find those expressions? Whatever your source was, I think I need it. :D I didn't find any of those. (I even somehow missed the example in EKSS, though.) But now that I have your list of expressions, I can google them and find tons of examples... Looks like (in the negative) it's used for a range of ideas like not fitting the mold, thinking outside the box, breaking down barriers, breaking with tradition.

Prantsis wrote:In French, raam is "cadre", raamidest väljuma is "sortir du cadre", raamidesse mahtuma is "rentrer dans le cadre", raame purustama is "briser le cadre" etc. Looking at cadre's entry in my Fr-En dictionary gives me a hint of what your problem is (as possible translations in these kinds of contexts, I find scope, remit... and also limits, bounds, confines... and also framework, context, structure...)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-11-25, 22:39

linguoboy wrote:I agree with you to a point. But "blond(e) bimbo" is also a particular stereotype, like a "lesbian feminist" or a "longhaired hippie freak". So I perceive a slight difference between "a tall, blonde bimbo teenager" (a tall teenager who fits the stereotype of a blonde bimbo) and "a tall, blonde, teenage bimbo" (a bimbo who also happens to be tall, blonde, and teenage).

Well, I'll just say that to my ear, it's a moot point whether there's a difference in meaning, because one phrase sounds awkward and the other does not. No absolute proscriptions, of course; if you happen to be Aqua, be my guest. :P

france-eesti wrote:pink

Harry watched as Umbridge measured three spoonfuls of pink-tinted sugar into her tea.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-11-26, 16:44

linguoboy wrote:
tiuwiu wrote:His friends think he's selfish because he don't want a fecking birthday party.

Are you intentionally imitating lower-register speech here?

Yeah, I thought 'he don't' and 'fecking' were a good match. :blush:

Dormouse559 wrote:Harry watched as Umbridge measured three spoonfuls of pink-tinted sugar into her tea.

I use a kitchen scale to measure the ingredients for the cake dough.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-11-26, 19:28

Harry and Ron wanted to go back to the elf kitchen but Hermione threw them the kind of look that makes you shiver.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-11-27, 0:03

Perhaps it was the way the moon ducked behind the clouds, or the frigid shiver of wind through the firs, but Serafina knew in her bones that a great evil was approaching over the fallen snow.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-11-27, 16:06

Donald Duck cartoons were really wonderful to watch when I was a child.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-11-27, 16:25

I'm sorry but I won't let you watch this cartoon before you've finished at least your homework for Monday.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-11-27, 16:34

Why should I do my homework for Monday when I am planning on skipping the whole week?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-11-27, 19:35

I know Monday isn't your favorite day but I gotta say that's THE day on which you should start your diet.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-11-27, 22:18

I would diet for a good donut.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-11-28, 15:05

Chief Wiggum nearly shot off his own head while eating a donut off of the barrel of his loaded gun!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-11-28, 17:10

I have made my own gun with a 3D printer.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-11-30, 7:25

He bought a new multifunction printer but he cannot use it because the error 'paper jam' keeps appearing on the display.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-11-30, 7:45

Hermione didn't wish to put her new book on display but when a group of Ravenclaws entered the Great Hall, she found out she was pretty pleased with herself and her wisdom.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-11-30, 9:24

Hermione looked over Ron's shoulder at his homework and shook her head. "You need to crush the leeches, not cut them, and the potion is made with three lacewings, not five dorbeetles, and you forgot the river grass, and ...."
"Ohh Please," Ron begged, while he looked askance at Hermione. "Please stop bothering us with your wisdom and intelligence." He smiled at her, and added, "Because stupidity is infinitely more fascinating that intelligence."

Return to “English”