[Game] Creating sentences

Moderator: JackFrost

azhong

Re: [Game] Creating sentences

Postby azhong » 2018-04-10, 14:26

(See quoted below)
choke
Last edited by azhong on 2018-04-20, 4:30, edited 2 times in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-10, 17:28

azhong wrote:In the coffee shop it was almost empty now. Nick, the shopkeeper, was standing by the water tank[1] behind the bar at a corner of the room, cleaning cups and dishes. At another far corner[2] in front of Nick sat two malemen, whom Nick was unfamiliar with. They were young. Their bodies were both well-shaped, with muscles from gyms. One was obviously less strong than the other, though. They chatted and teased each other, their voices being gentle.

Hearing the customers’ laughter rise a bit higher, Nick glanced up over the coffee mill. There, the less-stronger one was hitting his mate on the head with his fist. His mate, sitting straight and still, accepted this gift. Nick smiled and drew his attentionwent back to his cleaning. Cold, cozy water flowed down through Nick's fingers.

Time was not early.It was getting late. It was nice to callend the day off[3] with them two of them, Nick thought. Tonight there would be no one’s chest towould be kneeled on. Nor would anyone be choked with both hands, nor would anyone’s head be hammered on the ground. Muscles should not be used for thosethat. Nor should pocket knives nor dirty barks[4] nor injuries nor blood. Nor splinters of china to be cleared away. No more customers would enter, Nick guessed. He was ready to return home and, after a quick shower, stretched himself out on the bed. But Nick did not hurry; he took his time. He would not close his shop till after the couple had left. The china in the sink clanked very slightly once in a while.

The cafe was clean and light. The wood of the tables shone from wiping; the wooden chairs were carved and comfortable. Out from the loud-speakers it was playing a piece of piano jazz. Over the loudspeakers a piano jazz piece was playing. An aroma in the air, an aroma of coffee and cookies--that was the typical smell for most coffee shops. But Nick's small coffee house owned[5] something else.

[1] A "water tank" is normally enclosed. If you're referring to what he's doing the washing up in, the word you want is "sink".
[2] "The far corner" would mean the corner furthest from Nick. So if Nick is standing by the sink in the lower-right corner of the café shown here:
then the "far corner" would be the table by the window closest to the restrooms.
There's only one "far corner" for any given location, so it doesn't make sense to speak of "another far corner".
[3] To "call off" something is to cancel it.
[4] "Dirty barks" doesn't mean anything to me here.
[5] Houses are "owned"; they can't "own" anything themselves. "Had" is probably what you want here.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-12, 16:32

Three questions about nor. My thanks in advance.

1) Should the be in the sentence below be deleted, too?
...Nor would anyone be choked with both hands, nor anyone’s head be hammered on the ground.

2) Why is it below nor A or B or C? Should it not be nor A nor B nor C?
Nor should pocket knives or injuries or blood.
(c.f.1 He can’t do it; nor can I, nor can you, nor can anybody.
c.f.2 Nor would anyone be choked..., nor anyone’s head…)

3)In the sentence below,
No splinters of china to be cleared away.
if I want to keep nor, can I say
Nor would splinters of china to be cleared away.
(c.f. Nor should pocket knives…)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-12, 16:49

azhong wrote:Three questions about nor. My thanks in advance.

Could we follow up in a different thread so as not to derail the game?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-13, 4:09

(Ok, linguo, as you wish. I just hope you are always happy. But, say, what makes a game a game?

Some of us has told me linguoboy was not being offensive to me, and I decide to reset my feeling, my thought, and then my response here.

Also, someone has suggested me that in this game one is expected to reply in one or two sentences, not in a long article. I will follow this suggestion too from now on.

Thank you all. )

Back to the game, anyway. Choke. Whose turn now?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-13, 6:54

I have some bad news to deliver, so please finish that bun so you don't choke when you hear.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-15, 4:02

As you have seen, I am, too, just a learner in English; the information below I am trying to deliver is therefore perhaps incorrect and thus only for your not-so-reliable reference.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-04-15, 7:25

The teacher wrote a bad reference for a student.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-16, 5:06

When he [Louis] got to the last letter, the pupils [of the first grade] clapped, stamped their feet, and banged on their desks, and one boy quickly made a paper airplane and zoomed it into the air. Mrs. Hammerbotham (their teacher) rapped for order.
(Quoted from The Trumpet of The Swan by E. B. White.)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-16, 7:16

This kind of glass, or plastic pipe, that young people usually share in order to smoke weed, holds the funny name of a bang in French.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-04-16, 15:15

After they weeded the garden, they sat down on a chair and smoked the rest of their weed.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-16, 15:34

azhong wrote:Some of usyou have told me linguoboy was not being offensive to me, and I decided to reset my feelings, my thoughts, and then my response here.

azhong wrote:As you have seen, I am also just a learner in English[.]

france-eesti wrote:The kind of glass, or plastic pipe, that young people usually share in order to smoke weed, has the funny name of a bang in French.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-17, 2:02

linguoboy wrote:
azhong wrote:Some of usyou have told me linguoboy was not being offensive to me...

Some of us.

(Next morning very early, after saying thanks to linguoboy for his language help, Sam Beaver crawled out of his bunk while his father was still asleep. Sam dressed and lit a fire in the stove.)

He fried a few strips of bacon, toasted two slices of bread, poured a glass of milk, and sat down and ate breakfast.

(When he was through, he found a pencil and paper and left a note to his father.)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-17, 18:08

azhong wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
azhong wrote:Some of usyou have told me linguoboy was not being offensive to me...

Some of us.

That's not acceptable in English in this context. Us includes me, so saying "Some of us told me X" implies that you yourself are one of the people who told yourself X, which makes you sound quite mad. Maybe the equivalent expression works in Chinese (or some other language), but not in English.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-17, 18:14

azhong wrote:He fried a few strips of bacon, toasted two slices of bread, poured a glass of milk, and sat down and ate breakfast.

Osias wondered why he always had to pour the milk before the Kahlúa, then he remembered the weird client with the large hat didn't order a White Russian.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-17, 19:44

france-eesti wrote:Osias wondered why he always had to pour the milk before the Kahlúa, then he remembered the weird client with the large hat didn't order a White Russian.

Acceptable in speech but jarring in print. It should be "hadn't ordered" because the ordering took place prior to the remembering.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-18, 4:10

That evening very late, only a little before mid-night, when the full moon had hanged high and were shining brightly, a weird thing occurred.
(By the lake in the city park, several swans were asleep, with their shadows falling on the sandy shore. The shadows were clear and about the shape of an egg. There and then, one of these shades started changing; it lengthened slowly along the flat land as if a big, dark chewing gum. In a few moments it came into the shape of a human being.)
Last edited by azhong on 2018-04-22, 4:02, edited 2 times in total.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-20, 7:18

Hang on, Vijay, you forgot your key - sure your quad won't start without it!

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-22, 3:44

The bellboy put Louis's luggage down, snapped on a few lights, opened a window, and laid the room key on the dresser. Then he waited.
"The Trumpet of The Swan" by E. B. White.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-23, 10:34

I'll be a gentleman and let you lift your luggage yourself, Cynthia.

Return to “English”