[Game] Creating sentences

Moderator:JackFrost

Osias
Re: [Game] Creating sentences

Postby Osias » 2018-08-09, 15:37

Oh, Romeo! - said her from the balcony.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-09, 15:46

Osias wrote:Oh, Romeo! - said her from the balcony.

Sorry, that's ungrammatical. It gardenpaths the listening into thinking a word is missing ("her" what? Her maid? Her mother?).

Her can be used as a subject pronoun in English, but only colloquially and only under very specific conditions. Subject inversion ("said she") belongs to formal registers and is incompatible with these.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-08-09, 18:18

:hmm:

I don't even know what I was thinking.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-08-10, 14:58

Little Cosette, with full fatigue now, could not but seating herself by the spring for a while to gain energy for drawing the bucket of water back home. The twilight sky overheads was getting darker, and the darkness was shrouding her. She stared at a great star, with which she was unfamiliar, and which terrified her. The planet was, in fact, very near the horizon and was traversing a dense layer of mist which imparted to it a horrible ruddy hue. The mist, gloomily empurpled, magnified the star. One would have called it a luminous wound.
(Largely a passage copied from Les Misérables.)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-10, 15:11

azhong wrote:Little Cosette, with full fatiguefully fatigued now, could not but seating herself by the spring for a while to gain energy (collect her strength) for drawing the bucket of water back home. The twilight sky overheads was getting darker, and the darkness was shrouding her.

"to draw a bucket of water" is to place an empty bucket in a well or cistern so that it fills with water and lift it out again. So either she's getting ready to draw water from the spring, in which case "back home" doesn't belong in that sentence, or she has already drawn the water and is preparing to carry it back home.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-08-11, 4:47

I love to walk along the banks of the Rhine river with my dogs with the sun breaking through the early morning mist.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-08-12, 14:46

She walked toward the river, stopped at the edge of the bank, crouched and leaned forward. The still water mirrored her pretty visage: of it the eyes bright, the cheeks chubby, and the complexion ruddy.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-08-15, 6:03

Would you say he's lean? I'd rather think he's thin but it's only a matter of appreciation.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-16, 16:11

Experienced language instructors are thin on the ground nowadays, I'm afraid.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-08-16, 21:51

They don't make TV sets where you can set the volume before turning on nowadays.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-16, 22:17

Osias wrote:They don't make TV sets where you can set the volume before turning them on nowadays.

For some reason "before powering up" sounds fine without an object, even though both verbs can be used intransitively.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-08-16, 22:25

If I was Vulcan I would say 'activating'.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-08-17, 7:40

The man was watching baseball when burglars robbed his apartment and took everything but the couch and the TV.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-08-18, 18:37

One day, will you ever stop watching those baseball games and get a move on with your life?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-08-25, 5:53

Good evening, and welcome to the final match of this year's World Chess Championship.
Mangnus C. is still thinking very carefully about his next move and he needs his time,
because his opponent made an excellent move with the rook.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-09-03, 20:19

She said she was coming for a game of chess but we ended up playing poker the whole afternoon.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-09-04, 15:56

He thought she couldn't play poker, but after two hours she was still fully dressed while he had lost all his clothes except his striped socks.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-09-05, 3:57

The tree stood crooked, the leaves of it half-bared. Under its fragmentary shadow, where the coolness was only marginally acceptable but already the coziest place nearby, a chess game was on-going. Our player, a middle-aged knight, judging from his clothing (but what kind of socks did a knight wear?), took a move, while his horse tied at a stump not far behind was drinking by the stream. His opponent wore a black hooded cloak, a long handle sickle lying beside on his right side, who then took his move, casually. Coin-sized spots of sunlight on the chessboard went off and on when it breezed. The tree could seemingly not escape from losing its life at the end, but now it was still alive, however. After a short reflection, the knight moved a chessman.

(P.S. I've lost my previous convenience to access internet; I therefore will frequent this website less.)
Last edited by azhong on 2018-09-07, 2:12, edited 1 time in total.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-09-05, 11:22

You're on the fast track to becoming a Jedi Knight - don't lose touch with your responsibilities.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-09-05, 19:37

To blame other people is easier than to take responsibility for your mistakes or your own life.

Return to “English”