[Game] Creating sentences

Moderator:JackFrost

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: [Game] Creating sentences

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-06, 6:21

I'll never have children, Ernest - you know shoes are my children.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-06, 15:46

All day long, the Swan Boats circled the lake, carrying their load of happy people, many of them children. And Louis swam a few yards ahead, leading the way and playing his horn.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-06, 16:09

The road leads to a lovely small house, which is inhabited by an old couple and their cats.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-06, 16:36

As they say in French, it's sometimes a necessity to call a cat a cat.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-05-06, 16:58

france-eesti wrote:Empty those shelves and give those clothes, that you don't wear anymore, to that charity that comes to collect them on Tuesday!

Does the charity come by each Tuesday to collect clothes, or is the addressee supposed to give the clothes to the charity on Tuesday? If it's the latter, the sentence is fine. If it's the former, you should say "Tuesdays" to mark the habitual action.

tiuwiu wrote:After he donated their entire fortune to charity his wife filed for divorce because she couldn't buy the new pair of shoes she felt was in love with.

azhong wrote:All day long, the Swan Boats circled the lake, carrying their loads of happy people, many of them children. And Louis swam a few yards ahead, leading the way and playing his horn.

tiuwiu wrote:The road leads to a lovely small house, which is inhabited by an old couple and their cats.

"Small" is perfectly fine, but you also said "lovely", and there's a tendency to pair that with "little"; it rolls off the tongue better. So I'd prefer "lovely little house".

france-eesti wrote:As they say in French, it's sometimes a necessity to call a cat a cat.

Ohmigod! I just like walked in on Felicia and my brother French kissing! It's like, gag me with a spoon!
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-08, 10:09

All the dancers on stage took off their tank tops, crumpled them up into balls, and gagged one another. At first it looked more like a frolic; but later, taking its transformation slowly, it took on sort of a torture.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-10, 5:52

He looks good in this green tank top although I belive a black shirt would fit him better.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-05-10, 17:32

Dormouse559 wrote:
azhong wrote:All day long, the Swan Boats circled the lake, carrying their loads of happy people, many of them children. And Louis swam a few yards ahead, leading the way and playing his horn.

I actually like "load" better. "Loads" implies that the meaning is "lots" but I think the more literal sense of "something being transported" works better here.

azhong wrote:All the dancers on stage took off their tank tops, crumpled them up into balls, and gagged one another. At first it looked more like a frolic; but later, taking its transformation slowly, it took on sort of a torture.

I've never seen "transformation" used with "take" that way in English. And you can't use "take on" a process, only "aspects" or "the appearance" of one. I'd rephrase this "it slowly transformed into a kind of torture".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-05-10, 17:54

linguoboy wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:

I actually like "load" better. "Loads" implies that the meaning is "lots" but I think the more literal sense of "something being transported" works better here.

Hmm, for me, the "lots" meaning is precluded by "their".

tiuwiu wrote:He looks good in this green tank top although I belive a black shirt would fit him better.

The great sorcerer had been tainted by black magic and was banished from the kingdom.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-12, 6:11

The girl thought the old man has magic powers but he couldn't even pull a rabbit out of a hat.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-12, 15:43

I can't believe we're having rabbit again, can't your wife sometimes cook something else?

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-13, 14:35

Before my bad luck brought me to be your wife
I had been also a princess, a popular sweetie once in my life
Being chased after with flowers and flatteries by many a lad
Who was awfully charming, yet my beauty could easily drive whom mad.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-13, 15:17

Will you look at that, Osias brought chocolate for all of you, so please next time you meet the least you can do is act grateful.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-15, 7:22

I have made an appointment with the sinister sorcerer this evening; I will be very grateful if you can go with me.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-05-15, 15:57

tiuwiu wrote:The girl thought the old man had magic powers but he couldn't even pull a rabbit out of a hat.

azhong wrote:Before my bad luck brought me to be your wife
I had been also a princess, a popular sweetie once in my life
Being chased after with flowers and flatteries by many a lad
Who was awfully charming, yet whom my beauty could easily drive whom mad.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-16, 6:26

france-eesti wrote:Will you look at that, Osias brought chocolate for all of you, so please next time you meet the least you can do is act grateful.

Hmm...I think this sentence has a basic structure as
()Will you look at think/consider … (and) act …?

And, following it, I will write this way, as closing to the original sentence as possible:
()Will you think that Osias brought chocolate for all of you (and), so please, next time you meet (him) the least you can do, act gratefully?

What is more, if I can write it freer, I might go with this one:
()Osias brought chocolate for all of you. So, when you meet him next time, will you please think that and show your gratitude? That is the least you can do.

My comment might be imperfect; I am, as a Chinese proverb says, casting a piece of brick first, so as to bring on a next piece of jade from other native speakers.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-05-16, 15:15

azhong wrote:
france-eesti wrote:Will you look at that, Osias brought chocolate for all of you, so please next time you meet the least you can do is act grateful.

Hmm...I think this sentence has athe basic structure as
()Will you look at think/consider … (and) act …?

And, following it, I will write this way, as close to the original sentence as possible:
()Will you think that Osias brought chocolate for all of you (and), so please, next time you meet (him) the least you can do is act gratefully?

This is not an expansion of france-eesti's sentence; it is a different sentence with a different meaning. "To think X" in English has the basic meaning "to believe that X is true". If you mean "reflect on X", you need to use a different expression.

The meaning of "act X" is "act as if one is X". It takes an adjective complement, not an adverb:

"When he comes, act surprised."

Cf. "look", "seem", etc.

azhong wrote:What is more, if I can write it freermore freely, I might go with this one:
()Osias brought chocolate for all of you. So, when you meet him next time, will you please think thatgive some thought to that and show your gratitude? That is the least you can do.

My comment might be imperfect; I am, as a Chinese proverb says, casting a piece of brick first, so as to bring on a next piece of jade from other native speakers.

"other native speakers" implies that you are a native speaker yourself.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-17, 11:10

The show must go on...

azhong wrote:I have made an appointment with the sinister sorcerer this evening; I will be very grateful if you can go with me.

Don't be so sinister, you know Levike, people don't like that and it makes you look older than you really are.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-19, 4:40

(My wrinkles creep. My cheeks sink in. My skin darkens and loosens. My breast droops. The Mirror is honest on theses rewards from time.)
I am apparently older, and Snow White is prettier. She is a prick upon my heart. I shall pick it off this time, by myself.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-20, 6:43

If you have no idea what it is, pick it up and watch it through the microscope.

Return to “English”