The person after me game (2)

Moderator: JackFrost

linguoboy

Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-26, 20:18

Antea wrote:Yes, in BCN is very hot and humid now (doesn’t it sound strange this sentence?

It should be either "Yes, in BCN it is..." or "Yes, in BCN is..."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-07-27, 4:26

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:I don't get why the correction on "times". I intended to say most of the instances of me reading something, not time as the thing clocks measure. In Portuguese "a maioria das vezes", not "a maior parte do tempo". How should I say that?

"most of the time" (small error by Dormouse) is the most natural way to say it in English. You could say "most times", but it sounds odd to me.

Oops! Yes, silly mistake.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-01, 7:25

Antea wrote:The person after me takes a shower in the evening before going to bed.

No, my shower takes place in the morning and lasts less than 2 minutes :D

The person after me rode 10 kilometers on an old bike to get a brioche parisienne for breakfast but the f*cking bakery was closed.

brioche_temp.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-08-01, 13:33

No, but I did drive 5 km or so with my new bike for a second opinion to the bike store to find it closed. It was so annoying! First all the shops were closed and now they're on holiday, you'd think they take the chance now to earn some money...

The person after me thinks the American elections should be postponed.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-01, 18:21

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:No, but I did drive 5 km or so with my new bike for a second opinion to the bike store to find it closed.

Since you only "ride" a bike and never "drive" it, the standard interpretation is that you put your bike into a car and drove to the bike shop. Is that what happened?

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:The person after me thinks the American elections should be postponed.

Sure--as long as everyone keeps in mind that, if the election fails to take place before January 21st, then the Speaker of House assumes the office of President regardless.

The person after me has never cast a vote in an election for their country's head of government.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-08-01, 20:18

linguoboy wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:No, but I did drive 5 km or so with my new bike for a second opinion to the bike store to find it closed.

Since you only "ride" a bike and never "drive" it, the standard interpretation is that you put your bike into a car and drove to the bike shop. Is that what happened?

No, I should have said: ride. My bike doesn't fit in my car, I just used the wrong word, thanks for pointing that out.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

tomari

Postby tomari » 2020-08-04, 6:16

I have and I regret voting for him.

The person after me dislikes browsing the internet on a smartphone.

Return to “English”