The person after me game (2)

Moderator: JackFrost

Naava
Language Forum Moderator

Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby Naava » 2018-09-20, 19:11

Somewhere around 11-12. When I was a kid, we had school lunch at 10:20. I don't miss those times. :shock:

The person after me knows how to bake bread.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-09-21, 8:38

I love to bake my own bread. It takes some time, but the result worth the shot. And the best part about homemade bread is that you can experiment with different ingredients.

The person after me wants a banana muffin.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-09-21, 10:04

tiuwiu wrote:I love to bake my own bread. It takes some time, but the result worth the shot. And the best part about homemade bread is that you can experiment with different ingredients.

Exactly! I use different spices. And now when I taste a bread I haven't made, I can't help finding it tasteless because it has no cinnamon, it has no cardamom, it has no turmeric... :D And I also can use all the flours I want!

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me wants a banana muffin.

Not at all.

The person after me enjoys creating polls on google form.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-09-21, 11:09

france-eesti wrote:The person after me enjoys creating polls on google form.

Yeah, I use it at work from time to time. I'm going to create one today: we need to pick a code name for our team, and I want to put the options that the team will come up with into a poll.

The person after me likes the Microsoft Office products.
Last edited by voron on 2018-09-21, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-09-21, 11:36

Not really, I'm more of a Libre Office type of person :partyhat:

The person after me is able to tell the difference between a bee and a wasp.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-21, 14:20

tiuwiu wrote:I love to bake my own bread. It takes some time, but the result is worth the shot.

You could also say "worth it".

france-eesti wrote:Exactly! I use different spices. And now when I taste a (some) bread I haven't made, I can't help finding it tasteless because it has no cinnamon, it has no cardamom, it has no turmeric... :D And I also can use all the (different) types of flours I want!

Firstly, bread is a mass noun, so we only say "a piece/slice of bread" when we want to quantify it. Secondly, it sounds overly redundant to include "it has" in front of each item in your list. You could even drop the "no", and only have, "it has no cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric...". Thirdly, in most (if not all) standard varieties of English, flour is a mass noun. So you need a quantifier like "type".

Most people would capitalize Google Forms because it is a proper name. In colloquial writing, capitalization isn't always used, but it does look bad in any sort of official writing (which can include work emails).
My TAC for 2019.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-21, 14:44

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:Exactly! I use different spices. And now when I taste a (some) bread I haven't made, I can't help finding it tasteless because it has no cinnamon, it has no cardamom, it has no turmeric... :D And I also can use all the (different) types of flours I want!

Firstly, bread is a mass noun, so we only say "a piece/slice of bread" when we want to quantify it.

Except that "bread" can be used as a count noun to mean "variety of bread" (e.g. "37 Iconic Breads from Around the World"). That was precisely how I understood it here: "...when I taste a [type of] bread I haven't made..."

dEhiN wrote:Secondly, it sounds overly redundant to include "it has" in front of each item in your list. You could even drop the "no", and only have, "it has no cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric...".

Redundancy is not a grammatical error; redundancy is a stylistic choice. (See what I did there?) If you must correct it, it would probably be best not to use strikeout and red text, but something to indicate that you're simply offering another option.

dEhiN wrote:Thirdly, in most (if not all) standard varieties of English, flour is a mass noun. So you need a quantifier like "type".

See above (and paragraph three of the Wikipedia article on mass nouns.)

france-eesti, this is an incorrection; the use of a measure word like "type" here is optional. The sentence is correct as written (though I find it sounds more natural with a qualifier like "different flours").

dEhiN wrote:

Most people would capitalize Google Forms because it is a proper name. In colloquial writing, capitalization isn't always used, but it does look bad in any sort of official writing (which can include work emails).

I generally assume colloquial writing as the default when approaching the posts here, since this after all an Internet discussion forum and not a work email. france-eesti, if you or anyone else would like us to correct your English to conform to the rules of formal written Standard English, please let us know. Otherwise, I'll keep assuming a colloquial standard.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-09-21, 15:05

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me wishes s/he had wings so they could fly.

You should pick one. "They" flows a lot better, and this isn't a prescriptive context, like a school paper, so I'd say, "TPAM wishes they had wings so they could fly"

france-eesti wrote:Not at all, I just try to use them in sentences and submit show them to native speakers so they can tell me if I used them fine or not.

"Submit" isn't impossible, but it has particular connotations. The most common meaning these days concerns computers (cf. the "Submit" button in Unilang's post editor). The meaning of "put forward for approval" is a little formal.

voron wrote:Yeah, I use it at work from time to time. I'm going to create one today; we need to pick a code name for our team, and I want to put the options that the team come(s) up with into a poll.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me is able to tell the difference between a bee and a wasp.

Generally. Here is my guide (long-ish image):

► Show Spoiler

The person after me never has a bad hair day.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-21, 15:08

I think the only people who can genuinely say that are baldies.

The person after me is totally over commenting in GIFs.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-09-23, 5:42

Not at all.

The person after me never uses the same GIF twice.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-09-23, 6:06

I never use any GIF. Period.

The person after me will tell me if this use of "period" is correct and if not, will give me an example because I'm not sure of when it's right to use it.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-09-23, 19:40

france-eesti wrote:I never use any GIF. Period.

The person after me will tell me if this use of "period" is correct and if not, will give me an example because I'm not sure of when it's right to use it.

It is correct. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Brits say "full stop" in the same context.

The person after me falls asleep at the drop of a hat.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-09-24, 4:50

Yes, it's usually easy for me to fall asleep, so people are basically jealous for that because most of them cannot feel asleep as quickly :whistle:

The person after me sometimes has dreams in a foreign language they're studying.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-09-24, 7:00

Yes, definitely.

In the city where the person after me lives there's some kind of popular festival or holiday going on.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-09-24, 11:24

No, not today.

The person like me has enjoyed Netflix's Atypical and their favorite character was the Japanese therapist.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-09-24, 13:07

No, I've never heard of this serie. I don't even have a Netflix account.

The person after me has been watching too much TV lately

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-09-24, 13:09

Do you mean television? I don’t think so.

The person after me rides a bike.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-09-24, 13:53

Antea wrote:Do you mean television?

That's exactly what I meant :wink:

Antea wrote:The person after me rides a bike.

YES! I love my bike. I try to ride my bike anywhere throughout the day and if it's not raining too much
I can use it to ride to work which is about 6-7 miles away.

The person after me commutes more then 30 mintues for thier job.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-09-24, 15:02

I work at home.

There's still room for more dessert in the stomach of the person after me.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-24, 15:33

france-eesti wrote:Yes, it's usually easy for me to fall asleep, so people are basically jealous forof that because most of them cannot fall asleep as quickly

tiuwiu wrote:No, I've never heard of this series. I don't even have a Netflix account.

tiuwiu wrote:YES! I love my bike. I try to ride my bike anywhere throughout the day and if it's not raining too much

"anywhere" sounds awkward without qualification, e.g. "anywhere I can". I'd prefer "everywhere" here.

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me commutes more then 30 minutes for their job.

Return to “English”