The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-12, 8:23

You mean like Michael Jackson in Men in Black?
mj_temp.jpeg

Indeed sometimes when I talk with my daughter's school teacher I wonder :hmm:

The person after me is dancing in the rain to thank it for falling down and reducing the draught menace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-12, 19:34

france-eesti wrote:Well in summer I usually buy huge zucchini (the ones people don't buy at the market because they're too big), chop them into tiny squarescubes, and cook them with onions, tomatoes and aromatic herbs (rosemary, thyme, basil, sage...) + pepper and salt + chili pepper for the braves!

English adjectives never take plural -s. They can only be substantivised in the plural anyway; in the singular you'd need a following noun, e.g. "the brave one". Brave as an ordinary noun in English is an outmoded term for a Native American warrior, e.g.:

"Home of the Brave" (the place where the brave people live)
"Home of the Braves" (the places where the Native American warriors live)

tiuwiu wrote:No. If I gave 1 € to every beggar I seesaw, it would cost me about 30-40 € to walk through my city, so I never give a beggar alms but I regularly buy the street paper.

I've never heard "street paper" as a fixed phrase before (though Wikipedia uses the term); where I've been, they're just referred to by their proper names.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me is dancing in the rain to thank it for falling down and reducing the drought menace.

drought /draʊt/ a serious dry spell
draught /drɑft/ (US spelling draft /dræft/) an unwanted current of air, as from a door left ajar

I have danced in the rain before, but last time it fell, there was a tornado warning in effect so I thought it wise not be outside.

The person after me can explain the distinction between a tornado warning and a tornado watch.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-08-13, 4:42

No I can't. I recently learnt that I live in the tornado alley in Europe though.

The person after me has an airco in their house.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-27, 6:37

No I don't :D We suffer the heat as in the old times haha
No kidding, I wonder how the kids can remain on the sofa when it's so hot! When I'm not working I like to lie on the cold tile of the living room... It's my way of refreshing myself :D

The person after me has had a COVID test last week.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-27, 18:42

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:The person after me has an airco in their house.

This is a Batavianism. The most common abbreviations are "aircon" (UK) and "AC" or just "air" (North America). "Aircon" can apparently be used as a count noun (not IMD, however), but "AC" and "air" are always mass nouns; a specific device is an "air conditioner" or an "AC unit".

france-eesti wrote:The person after me has had a COVID test last week.

"Last week" indicates a closed timeframe in the past, which is incompatible with use of the present perfect.

I haven't been tested for COVID yet. I was supposed to be, but I forgot my ID so they couldn't perform the test.

The person after me has never given blood.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-08-28, 13:32

Yep, I regularly donate blood because my blood group is known as the universal blood group.

The person after me is a good and helpful neighbour.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-28, 18:58

I am when they need something, but we're all rather protective and tend to avoid contacts :cry:

The person after me needs to have a piece of clothes dry cleaned.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-29, 10:21

france-eesti wrote:I am when they need something, but we're all rather protective and tend to avoid contacts

You’re “protective of” something. I think the word you want is “cautious”.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me needs to have a piece of clothing dry cleaned.

Several, in fact, but like y’all I’m being very cautious and not going out unless it’s strictly necessary.

The person after me can’t seem to catch a break.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2020-08-29, 17:40

linguoboy wrote:The person after me can’t seem to catch a break.

That's been very true for the last year (well, a year and two months to be more precise), but thankfully I have been able to get a week off my job and will go on a short retreat to a quiet and nice area outside of the city.

The person after me will tell us about the last delicious dish they have discovered.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-08-30, 8:27

I ate Shuba a few weeks ago. A Russian herring salad with beet, carrots and potatoes.
A really delicious dish for hot summer days.

The person after me secretly wants to be in a play but has stage fright.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-30, 11:19

I have no stage fright to talk about, I'm just uninterested by having a part in a play. I'd rather be a solist in a concert :D

The person after me thinks it's a good thing school is starting again almost normally, as if there was no COVID.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-30, 19:20

france-eesti wrote:I have no stage fright to talk about

The common idiom is "(none) to speak of". ("Speak of" can mean simply "mention" whereas "talk about" means "discuss at length".)

france-eesti wrote:I'm just uninterested bynot interested in having a part in a play. I'd rather be a soloist in a concert :D

The person after me thinks it's a good thing school is starting again almost normally, as if there was no COVID.

I think it's an absolutely terrible idea. All these schools will have to go virtual again anyway and, in the meantime, COVID cases will explode.

The person after me is dreading winter but also looking forward to having a good excuse to remain inside.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-30, 20:03

linguoboy wrote:The person after me is dreading winter

Yes I am.

linguoboy wrote:but also looking forward to having a good excuse to remain inside.

Not at all, I hate reminaining inside. The more time I can spend outside, the better I feel.

The person after me agrees wearing a mask is necessary while bike or motorcycle riding.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-09-01, 5:08

Of course you should wear a helmet when you're on a motorcycle. But a mask to prevent you getting covid? Nah, that seems silly. With a bike I don't wear anything at all, but maybe I should wear a helmet when riding with kids, I think that's very heavy.

linguoboy wrote:I think it's an absolutely terrible idea. All these schools will have to go virtual again anyway and, in the meantime, COVID cases will explode.
]

This intrigues me, are schools in the USA still closed then? Also the elementary schools?

The person after me likes to walk in the forest, even when there are snails.

Corrections appreciated.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-09-01, 10:55

Snails? Why should snails bother me? But indeed I love to walk in the forest :D
Sadly my partner always finds an excuse to skip the walk in the forest :lol:

The person after me is sad August has ended.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-09-02, 16:10

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Of course you should wear a helmet when you're on a motorcycle. But a mask to prevent you getting covid? Nah, that seems silly. With a bike I don't wear anything at all, but maybe I should wear a helmet when riding with kids, I think that's very heavy.
I'm not certain what "I think that's very heavy" refers to. I want to connect "that" with the concept of wearing a helmet around kids, but then "heavy" doesn't make sense.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I think it's an absolutely terrible idea. All these schools will have to go virtual again anyway and, in the meantime, COVID cases will explode.
]

This intrigues me, are schools in the USA still closed then? Also The elementary schools, too?

Since U.S. schools are mainly regulated at the state and local levels, it's hard to make countrywide generalizations. Some school districts are offering the choice between in-person and virtual teaching. Some districts are planning to resume in-person teaching but will switch students/faculty who get sick to virtual. My local district has gone fully to virtual education with no plans for in-person classes. So it runs the gamut. Here's an article from August looking at the plans of a few districts in each state.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me is sad August has ended.

Not about August specifically; my sense of the passage of time is shot at this point, so there's a general sadness about how quickly six months slipped away.

The person after me has seen the northern lights.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-09-03, 4:42

Dormouse559 wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Of course you should wear a helmet when you're on a motorcycle. But a mask to prevent you getting covid? Nah, that seems silly. With a bike I don't wear anything at all, but maybe I should wear a helmet when riding with kids, I think that's very heavy.
I'm not certain what "I think that's very heavy" refers to. I want to connect "that" with the concept of wearing a helmet around kids, but then "heavy" doesn't make sense.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:
]

This intrigues me, are schools in the USA still closed then? Also The elementary schools, too?

Since U.S. schools are mainly regulated at the state and local levels, it's hard to make countrywide generalizations. Some school districts are offering the choice between in-person and virtual teaching. Some districts are planning to resume in-person teaching but will switch students/faculty who get sick to virtual. My local district has gone fully to virtual education with no plans for in-person classes. So it runs the gamut. Here's an article from August looking at the plans of a few districts in each state.

The person after me has seen the northern lights.

I meant that I think it's very hard to cycle with children. Two at a time is too heavy for me, only the eldest goes okay but I have to make sure that the bike doesn't tumble over the whole time.

Thank you for that link. I had no idea. Here all the schools are open again.

I haven't seen the northern light, unfortunately.

The person after me has given virtual lessons with Teams or another system and has good advice how to teach without seeing the people you're talking to.

Corrections appreciated.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-09-03, 6:22

I haven't given lessons but I took one flute lesson and found it surprisingly efficient! As if the music teacher was standing next to me. The sound wasn't so bad and he was able to tell me how to hold the instrument and blow... But I did many demos and screen sharing during my home-office time :)

The person after me looks forward to go back to the cinema but isn't trusting the anti-COVID measures.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-09-03, 14:57

Neither, I don't like going to the cinema at all, nor do I trust the anti-COVID measures.

With which historical person would the person after me like to have a conversation?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-09-03, 19:10

Marie Curie.

Would the person after me recommand an good book for a lazy 9 year old who used to be a big Harry Potter fan?

Return to “English”