The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-07-21, 16:20

No. I don't iron children's clothes, I don't see the point of it.

The person after me likes to read books to children.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-07-21, 18:03

The one time I can remember reading books to children — in French as part of a multicultural festival — I enjoyed it.

The person after me posts lots of memes on their social media.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-07-22, 18:20

I don't think I ever did a meme in my life.

The person after me loves climbing on trees.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-07-23, 7:27

I did when I was a child. And I loved it! Although, climbing up was always far easier for me than coming down. :whistle:

The person after me has never eaten tofu in their life.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-07-23, 9:18

I have eaten tofu but I'm really glad that nowadays there are so many options more to eat vegetarian.

The person after me owns a dish washer.

Corrections appreciated.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-23, 15:04

france-eesti wrote:I don't think I ever did a meme in my life.

(Common in colloquial American English, but in most varieties "ever" requires perfect, i.e. "I've ever done".)

france-eesti wrote:The person after me loves climbing on trees.

Usually just "climbing trees". (If I had to distinguish, "climb" alone suggests going as high as you can go while "climb on" suggests getting to higher spot just to play around, e.g. "climb mountains" vs "climb on the furniture".)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I have eaten tofu but I'm really glad that nowadays there are so many more options more to eat vegetarian.

The person after me owns a dishwasher.

I do, and it's really proving its worth during the pandemic. I can't imagine having to wash all these dishes by hand.

The person after me reuses glasses, cups, or mugs for several days on end before washing them.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-07-23, 15:44

I change it every day but I can use the same mug twice or three times in a day.
The rule is I must drink the same thing in the mug - I can use a mug for tea 2 or 3 times in a row, but I'll take another one for chicorry :D

The person after me's grandmother has had an accident and can no longer walk. :cry:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-07-25, 7:46

No! God forbid, even the thought is horrible.

The person after me puts their hands in the pockets when they are uncomfortable or unsure of themselves.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-07-25, 10:39

I would but I own very few clothes with pockets inside.

The person after me would like to get an extra qualification in a new domain.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-07-25, 11:44

Perhaps at some point it'll become necessary, but I won't do it willingly. I tend to be lazy sometimes. :whistle:

The person after me is always looking for new challenges to grow and learn with.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-07-25, 12:02

Yes. We have only one life to live here on Earth (except if you believe in reincarnation) and I think we should do the best of it. Which is why getting new aims every day or so is the best philosophy for me.

The person after me will tell us about their next project.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-07-25, 14:21

I don't know if this counts, but ... my second child is going to school first time in a few weeks and we are planning to renovate her room. We want to repaint her room and rearrange it because she now needs a bigger desk and she asks (begs :roll: ) for a little bed couch so her best friend can stay overnight.

The person after me loves to rearrange the house regularly.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-07-25, 15:09

Your rearranging of your daugher's room is a nice project! Nights with girlfriends are also very important, my daughter loves them! So as far as I am concerned, it is a project! 8-)

Actually we also rearranged the living room - tossed old sofas, bought new ones, removed a chair from glass door and changed carpets. I love my new living room!

The person after me thinks kids are so spoilt they no longer know what to do in order to please them.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-25, 16:31

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me is always looking for new challenges to grow and learn withfrom.

france-eesti wrote:Yes. We have only one life to live here on Earth (except if/unless you believe in reincarnation) and I think we should domake the best of it. Which is why getting new aimsgoals every day or so is the best philosophy for me.

tiuwiu wrote:I don't know if this counts, but ... my second child is going to school for the first time in a few weeks and we are planning to renovate her room. We want to repaint her room and rearrange it because she now needs a bigger desk and she asksis asking (begsging :roll: ) for a little daybed couch so her best friend can stay overnight.

france-eesti wrote:Actually we also rearranged the living room - tossed old sofas, bought new ones, removed a chair from glass door and changed carpets.

I have no idea what these means unless someone threw a chair halfway through a glass door and you just now got around to removing it.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me thinks kids are so spoilt they no longer know what to do in order to please them.

I'm not concerned at all with pleasing children.

The person after me is also childless.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-07-25, 18:45

I'm not. I have two daughters, one is 3,5 and the other is 1,5.

The person after me reads a newspaper every day.

Corrections appreciated.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-07-26, 1:30

I got most of the news these days via Twitter. Sometimes it's a newspaper tweeting, but most of times I read first the jokes about the news.

The person after me hates Skype from the bottom of their heart.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-07-26, 18:27

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I'm not. I have two daughters, one is 3.5 and the other is 1.5.

The decimal point is preferred to the comma in most English-speaking countries. On a more subjective level, I'd say it's pretty unusual to use decimals when giving ages. I'd expect this to be phrased as "… one is 3 1/2 (years old) and the other is 1 1/2."

Osias wrote:I get most of the my news these days via Twitter. Sometimes it's a newspaper tweeting, but most of times I read first the jokes about the news first.

The person after me hates Skype from the bottom of their heart.

No. I've never used it before. I have used Zoom, which is an okay experience. Nothing sticks out as particularly worthy of hate, or love for that matter.

The person after me likes to take naps with their pet(s).
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-07-26, 18:36

Thanks for the corrections.

I don't get why the correction on "times". I intended to say most of the instances of me reading something, not time as the thing clocks measure. In Portuguese "a maioria das vezes", not "a maior parte do tempo". How should I say that?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-26, 19:04

Osias wrote:I don't get why the correction on "times". I intended to say most of the instances of me reading something, not time as the thing clocks measure. In Portuguese "a maioria das vezes", not "a maior parte do tempo". How should I say that?

"most of the time" (small error by Dormouse) is the most natural way to say it in English. You could say "most times", but it sounds odd to me.

Dormouse559 wrote:The person after me likes to take naps with their pet(s).

I don't really have a choice: As soon as he sees me get into bed, he plops down on top of me. But I do enjoy it so it works out.

The person after me is sweating like a racehorse.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-07-26, 19:51

Yes, in BCN is very hot and humid now (doesn’t it sound strange this sentence? :hmm: )

The person after me takes a shower in the evening before going to bed.

Return to “English”