The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby france-eesti » 2018-03-05, 13:41

That would be a shame, that's one of the last things in this world that you don't have to pay some tax upon and doesn't make you gain weight.

Is the person after me happy about the way they lost their virginity?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-05, 15:24

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me had a really weird dream thislast night.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me has tried at least once alternative medicine at least once and will tell us which kind.

Stylistically better: "...at least one alternative medicine..."
Antea wrote:I am not a great fan of homeopathy, probably because I don’t know anything about it and I don’t want to take any risks with my health.

The person after me knows some natural homemade remedies.

tiuwiu wrote:To quote my grandma: Eat a chicken soup when you are sick with a cold and use a leg compress to alleviate fever.

france-eesti wrote:That would be a shame, that's one of the last things in this world that you don't have to pay some tax upon and doesn't make you gain weight.

Awkward when you could simply say "...that isn't taxed..."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-07, 5:52

linguoboy wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me has tried at least once alternative medicine at least once and will tell us which kind.

Stylistically better: "...at least one alternative medicine..."

I think her ordering works in spoken, colloquial English. I myself have many times used an ordering like that (like just now :D ), though in more formal speech or for an essay, I wouldn't.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-03-11, 15:10

I've never lost my virginity, so I'm not able to answer this question.

The person after me is keen on collecting flags, and has all the countries' flags in their collection.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-03-15, 19:31

I don't collect flags at all... I collect menstrual cups...

The person after me thinks this is the weirdest kind of collection they've ever heard about.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-18, 7:57

Well, those look kinda uncomfortable to wear... :para: Do Westerners even wear sanitary pads, instead of those weird items for their periods?

The person after me sometimes, or often gets dangerous, obscene, or even just simply weird thoughts, even though s/he knows they're bad.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-03-19, 13:23

atalarikt wrote:Well, those look kinda uncomfortable to wear... :para: Do Westerners even wear sanitary pads, instead of those weird items for their periods?

Everybody wears what they wish of course, but I can tell you this is very, very comfortable, much more than disposable pads or tampons :)

atalarikt wrote:The person after me sometimes, or often gets dangerous, obscene, or even just simply weird thoughts, even though s/he knows they're bad.

I guess my imagination isn't interesting enough for that kind of thoughts... :roll:

The person after me would like to congratulate Putin for the score he got.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-03-19, 16:16

No, I don't want to congratulate him. And this applies to all politicians in the world.

The person after me takes a keen interest in politics.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-19, 16:23

france-eesti wrote:I guess my imagination isn't interesting enough for thatthose kinds of thoughts...

That sentence was grammatically correct, but stylistically bad. atalarikt listed more than one kind of thought so logically this demands a plural.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me would like to congratulate Putin for the score he got.

I guess that works if you're ironically comparing the election to a game of some sort, but without further context it sounds odd.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-03-19, 19:21

linguoboy wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me would like to congratulate Putin for the score he got.

I guess that works if you're ironically comparing the election to a game of some sort, but without further context it sounds odd.

Yes, I would mean reaching that kind of score sounds everything but democratic... So which world would have been more adapted?

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me takes a keen interest in politics.

Yes, I think it's kind of interesting - but what I prefer is to check the gap between a country's government and leaders and what the people really think... I started with Hungary :shy:

The person after me is sometimes tempted to judge a country by its leaders.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-19, 21:22

france-eesti wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

Yes, I would mean reaching that kind of score sounds everything but democratic... So which world would have been more appropriate?

"Result" applies to both elections and to sports events, so it works better here. I think to have the implication that you want, it needs to be modified in some way, e.g. "the incredible result". (The divergent meanings of "incredible" make this a double entendre.)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-03-28, 15:35

france-eesti wrote:The person after me is sometimes tempted to judge a country by its leaders.

Nope.
Is there any politician in the world who represents the interests of the majority of the population?
Okay, maybe there is, but I can't think of one at the moment.

The person after me can write mirror writing.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-09, 10:36

No... Really not! :D
This skill isn't useful in my work :D

The person after me sometimes feels like an asocial bear and dreams of being allowed to hide in a cave to sleep.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-04-09, 23:54

france-eesti wrote:No... Really not! Not really! :D

france-eesti wrote:sometimes feels like an asocial bear

Asocial works, but I think antisocial is more common and colloquial. I know I would naturally go for the anti- prefix for a lot of words over the a- prefix.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-10, 15:19

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:sometimes feels like an asocial bear

Asocial works, but I think antisocial is more common and colloquial. I know I would naturally go for the anti- prefix for a lot of words over the a- prefix.

There's a subtle distinction here, which is typical when both a-prefixed and anti-prefixed variants exist. "Asocial" simply means "not social". "Antisocial" means "actively hostile toward society". (At least, that's its core meaning; I have heard it used loosely where "asocial" would be more appropriate.)

"An asocial bear and dreams of being allowed to hide in a cave to sleep" is a pretty spot-on description of me most of the time.

The person after me has experienced total darkness.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-04-10, 15:38

Does total darkness from power outage count? Because I've experienced power outage several times.

The person after me feels like their mind is still in puberty.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-10, 15:40

atalarikt wrote:Does total darkness from power outage count? Because I've experienced power outage several times.

Nope. "Total darkness" means "no source of natural light", not even starlight. Caves are one of the only places you can go to experience it, because even a closet or cupboard will have some light leaking in through the door.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-04-10, 17:12

linguoboy wrote:
atalarikt wrote:Does total darkness from power outage count? Because I've experienced power outage several times.

Nope. "Total darkness" means "no source of natural light", not even starlight. Caves are one of the only places you can go to experience it, because even a closet or cupboard will have some light leaking in through the door.

How do you know atalarikt doesn't live in a cave? If they do, I'd like to know who provides their internet, because my cave needs better wi-fi.

atalarikt wrote:Does total darkness from a power outage count? Because I've experienced power outages several times.

The person after me feels like their mind is still in puberty.

Well, I don't feel that way, but supposedly the brain isn't fully developed until about my age, so my mind could very well still be in puberty. :hmm:

The person after has gone bungee jumping before.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-10, 17:20

Dormouse559 wrote:The person after has gone bungee jumping before.

No, I'm not sure I'd be brave enough :doggy:

The person after me can cook at least one Indian dish.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-10, 17:30

Does masala chai count?

The person after me can cha-cha with the best of them.

Return to “English”